The big video topic

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Erik Snyman

Hmmm, pretty good names Ron. I haven't been so inventive with cat names. Of the 4 cats we've had over the years there was, kitty girl, kitty boy, white kitty and now again, another kitty girl. With dogs and ferrets, it's a different story.
Bob, "what's his name"
An easier one: the canine is Dawgg and the feline is Katt.
Erik in Oz.

billyvray

Would be cool if one could make a flywheel launch for a small sailplane, using small high rpm engine on board. Then glide and recharge and use as needed. Not a motorglider, but a reusable lift engine.

proppastie

Log Member
Or spin it up on the ground for a 5 minute powered launch. Somehow I think the weight would be more than a 20 hp 2 stroke and 5 minutes of gas. I leave the calculation of the flywheel to the student for homework.

SlowFlight

Prop drag = negative pitch centered at the flywheel axle ahead of center of lift. Maybe if the flywheel were located at the tail, where the tail forces could shift the flywheel weight and the main would be sized for the increased torque weight. Then to control lift use the rudder for gyroscopic load induced changes, and the elevator for weight load ratio of effects... and for yaw... Then reverse gyroscopic load induction as the propeller becomes a windmill. Interesting.