The big video topic

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
For those needing something to do at home while the boss isn't looking, here are two cool channels. I guarantee you will learn something.

1) Jeff Hanson from Texas Tech--go for statics, solids, dynamics, thermodynamics, whatever floats your boat. Homespun science at its finest. Don't miss the Honda Monkey review.

2) Mark French from Purdue--you might learn something about Mohr's Circle or electric guitars or skateboards or supersonic ping pong balls. Whichever you go for, it's fun.

Pops

Log Member
Jodel D-9's . All the Jodels are nice flying airplanes. Most people in the U.S. knows little about them. My old flight instructor used to fly a D-11 and he talked me into building the Falconar F-12. It is just a stronger, mod of the D-11 for the larger Lyc engines and can be a 3 place. The F-12 is the best flying airplane that I have flown.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
If you keep talking about it I may have to build one. It would fit my needs perfectly.
Great airplane. Build one with a Lyc-320 and it will cruise between 150 to 160 mph. 150 mph with a climb prop and 160 mph with a cruise prop. Mine cruised at 150 mph with a 1700 ROC at GW and 2200 ROC with just me. For a normal ROC like the Pipers or Cessnas, I climbed out at 120 mph. Best ROC at about 85/90 mph. Two large people and lots of baggage or can be built 3 place. Also plans show taildrgger or trigear. Plans show nose fuel tank and and 2 wing fuel tanks if wanted. There has also been a retract gear version. VNE is 187 MPH, so retract gear or a Lyc-360 puts the cruise to close to the VNE. I had to watch the speed all the time. Nose down a little and huge increase in speed. Starting down from altitude one time I wasn't paying attention and thinking about the DA and got it over 200 mph TAS. Great traveling machine. Fast and smooth.

poormansairforce

Great airplane. Build one with a Lyc-320 and it will cruise between 150 to 160 mph. 150 mph with a climb prop and 160 mph with a cruise prop. Mine cruised at 150 mph with a 1700 ROC at GW and 2200 ROC with just me. For a normal ROC like the Pipers or Cessnas, I climbed out at 120 mph. Best ROC at about 85/90 mph. Two large people and lots of baggage or can be built 3 place. Also plans show taildrgger or trigear. Plans show nose fuel tank and and 2 wing fuel tanks if wanted. There has also been a retract gear version. VNE is 187 MPH, so retract gear or a Lyc-360 puts the cruise to close to the VNE. I had to watch the speed all the time. Nose down a little and huge increase in speed. Starting down from altitude one time I wasn't paying attention and thinking about the DA and got it over 200 mph TAS. Great traveling machine. Fast and smooth.
How many gallons does the nose tank hold? Fuel burn? How many hrs for construction? Thanks.

Pops

Log Member
How many gallons does the nose tank hold? Fuel burn? How many hrs for construction? Thanks.
I built a fiberglass and foam nose fuel tank of 28 gal. That was not enough for a Lycoming. Need at least one of the wing fuel tank of 9 gal each built but I never did. To short of range for me. You could get up at altitude quick and get some good cruise speeds going cross country but had to come down for fuel to often . A 320 will burn about 8 gal an hour at 75%. I planned on being on the ground in 2.5 hrs, another hour would be nice. If I was building another the nose tank would be 24 gal and build the two wing tanks of 9 gal each. Wing tanks on the CG and nose tank forward of the CG were you have to retrim for fuel burn off.
I bought the project that was started and took 2 years of intense work to finish it were I could get it signed off by the FAA. Its really a simple designed airplane except for the main one piece spar of 27 feet. Flew it for 5 years and put 700/800 hours on it. Did a lot of traveling with it. Felt like wearing an old shoe.

Pops

Log Member
I can confirm all that have been writed above...Flew a lot, all kind of Jodel and Robin aircraft, that are" factory built" Jodel, more or less...hundred Jodel and Robin still flying , in Europe.. strong, easy, fast for the power..goog ROC.. smell good( wood and fabric!)
Build the plans trigear and it looks just like the factory Robin. My F-12 was the early model of Falconar with the straight tail instead of the sweep tail.
I also used Cessna 150 round gear legs attached to the plans LG hardware on the main spar. EW is 937 lbs.

The first picture is me landing at home after flying almost across the U.S.

File2.jpgFile.jpg

Pops

Log Member
137 sq ft of wing area. Cabin 42" wide. Lots of leg room, little shy on head room for a taller person, I'am 6'.

Pops

Log Member
Many years ago there was an F-12 in CA with retracts and and a LYC--360.
I also saw a F-12 at OSH one year with a third door and a rear seat.