The big video topic

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Flying through Sprinklers in a Trike:

[video=youtube;dTckIAaE2rQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTckIAaE2rQ[/video]
CG, if you've ever ridden your motorcycle in the rain at any appreciable speed, you know the difference between pain and fun. I believe psychologists have a word for those who cannot distinguish between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:

choppergirl

Banned
Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
Lol, I've ridden in the rain plenty... its not fun but its not unbearable either. Really the worst about riding in the rain is that if you dont have a full face helmet on, it stings your lips. So you end up curling them in like a toothless old person to protect them. Also rain tends to fog up goggles or helmet visors... you dont have windshield wipers so you invest in some Rain-X pretty quick. Worst than rain though is just driving home at night on back country roads. Every bug is attracted to your one headlight and hits you. Not a big deal until one gets in your ear or under your helmet!

One trick to riding in the rain... Put your feet in socks in walmart shopping bags before you put your shoes on. That will at least keep your feet dry. My motorcycle jacket and full face helmet keeps my top half dry, but I have yet to buy any kind of motorcycle pants or boots. I always wear gloves and a helmet. Always.

Hit a dog with my foot once and almost a center curb at night when lost. Dropped parked bikes at standstill plenty (mostly wind blowing them over) and despite what they say, its no big thing. You just pick your bike up.

I've also ridden when it was 24 F outside... at 50mph. You dress in layers and try and keep your fingers warm in huge winter gloves. Driving in cold is worse than rain any day of the week, unless its sleeting hurricane buckets and your driving though puddles that are rivers and oceans. Then you pull over and wait it out or go very slow.

I would do 500 loops in an ultralight, rather than do just one loop on a motorcross bike. Those guys are insane...

Last edited:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Lol, I've ridden in the rain plenty... its not fun but its not unbearable either.
Guess you need to ride faster then! Oh, and hail isn't fun either. Cold is one thing, but I gave up riding when anything frozen is falling out of the sky a few years ago.

Norman

HBA Supporter
Lots of boring test flight footage in this one but starting at 1:23 is the coolest wing tip vortex I've ever seen. They got the smoke just right and you can see the core shoot through a high velocity.

choppergirl

Banned
Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
Muzeum lotnictwa-Kraków

If I was being tested on how many of these planes/helicopters/gliders/jets I could name, I'd fail hard core. How about you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_k8K5mr5Bs

That museum gets my vote for best ever location for first ever HBA get together... (disregarding, of course, that it's in Poland)

Anyone here that knows John Travolta, call him up, tell him who we are and where we want to go and why, talk him into to fly around and pick us all up, and take us to Poland... :)

ultralajt

Amazing multicopter pilot control skill and orientation in space to filming an aerobatic model plane:

(For those with attention span equal to goldfish, just jump to timeline 2:05)

Mitja

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Amazing multicopter pilot control skill and orientation in space to filming an aerobatic model plane:

(For those with attention span equal to goldfish, just jump to timeline 2:05)

[video=youtube;Il8BVtas7W0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il8BVtas7W0[/video]

Mitja
Amazing video. I suspect this must be one of those self-tracking drones I see advertised where the user carries a location transmitter in their pocket while skiing, riding motocross, etc, and the drone and camera automatically follow, track and orbit. I have a hard time seeing how someone could follow that well manually.

Autodidact

If you could build a 400 mph drone to keep up with real WWII fighters, I wonder what it might look like? I doubt it could be a pure quad-copter, maybe an RPV Osprey like thing? Very large vertical surfaces close to the CG to facilitate 3D-like maneuvering for best camera positioning?