Still breathing!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The airlines should fit UV air purifiers and UV lights under the bins. On my last flight I caught a cold on the way and another cold on the way home.
Not much excited about airline flight anymore, and this virus doesn't help either.

lr27

Health is fine. Pretty sure this thing has been moving through here (Texas) since January though, as I know a quite a few people who were down with a very nasty flu, but are all fine now. I am self employed and work with the Schools, them being closed is COSTING ME A LOT OF MONEY. For me at least, it seems the medicine is much worse then the cure.
The thing is, if precautions save your life, you'll never know. Also, Texas, and most of the US, are still having a rapidly increasing number of cases. Nasty flus are normal in January.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
The thing is, if precautions save your life, you'll never know. Also, Texas, and most of the US, are still having a rapidly increasing number of cases. Nasty flus are normal in January.
Yup. It’s like all that salt I have been throwing over my shoulder all these years after spilling a bit. Who knows what might have happened otherwise...

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The airlines should fit UV air purifiers and UV lights under the bins. On my last flight I caught a cold on the way and another cold on the way home.
Not much excited about airline flight anymore, and this virus doesn't help either.
Unfortunately, the type of UV light that is known to effectively kill similar viruses (UV-C) is not at all healthy for people to be exposed to. More here: Can you kill coronavirus with UV light?

It would be possible to kill the viruses in recirculating air, but that's only a tiny bit of the problem. The big issues are surfaces and small droplets.

Last edited:

dog

first 24 hrs above freezing here ,mud city, ducks,geese,goldens, the birds are ignoring the
flight bans,so quiet,like after a real heavy snow,cept its not that,so real wierd knowing that even way out here in the country the sounds of
civilzation were intruding unrecognised.
Lucky I got lots to do , a 50 acre back yard,and a job that is at my discretion.
Waiting to hear about an antibody test so that ,THAT question can be answered, get a pin with
a qr code and good to go, then people can stay with relitives in the hospital, run erands,etc,etc.

crusty old aviator

PSI, the company that has a monopoly on administering FAA written tests, shut down, so no writtens for a month or more. Gleim is offering free extensions to recent ground school students, so they can practice taking exams and hopefully remember what they’ll need to know until PSI gets their act together and comes back on line.

Himat

All well here. Me, wife and daughter did shift to work from home as Norway pretty much locked down. I Work rom home every other week all the time so no big change, wife find it different to be home all the time. My daughter finds the schools remote education ok.

Then, last week I got temporarily laid off, or say suspended from work. All non-essential work at the company have stopped, R&D is one. Not that bad as at least the first 20 days employees get their full wage in Norway. I have lined up a lot of work on my summer house. The downside is that I have to drive back and forth each day as the government have banned people to stay at their cottages, summer houses and the like. It is about geography and localisation of healthcare. On the other side, my drive is only 45 minutes and I am allowed to stay there in the day.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
It would be possible to kill the viruses in recirculating air, but that's only a tiny bit of the problem. The big issues are surfaces and small droplets.
They could turn off the UVC just before boarding. Then after buckling in I could pull out the UV sterilized overhead supplied air mask and face shield for the flight. Just like a U2 pilot.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
They could turn off the UVC just before boarding. Then after buckling in I could pull out the UV sterilized overhead supplied air mask and face shield for the flight. Just like a U2 pilot.
Or, leave the UVC turned on in the back half of the plane. Then, charge $25 extra for the UVC-free seats. If there's a way to get an upcharge, I trust they'll find it

I would guess the highly energetic (short wavelength) UV-C might be pretty tough on plastic and fabric. Dunno if the present anti-UV compounds in aircraft interiors would work.

lr27

Yup. It’s like all that salt I have been throwing over my shoulder all these years after spilling a bit. Who knows what might have happened otherwise...
Seat belts may have saved me a lot of pain, but I can't be sure because I haven't had the same accidents without the belts.

Mike Stewart

Grimes is a really, really good company in what they do. I once got a letter from the man himself regarding an improvement I had suggested in his logbook which made it more usable and useful. Not many of the corporate juggernauts would have bothered, much less have taken the time to make the improvement. Their famous red books are my gold standard.

pictsidhe

I'm still breathing. Down to a sore throat now. I'm getting someone to drop off fresh groceries that I'd like rather than desperately need, so I won't create more zombies.
People round here don't seem to get it. The neighbours across the road have been out at least once every day, and have had visitors every day since our 'stay home' order. An elderly neighbour has also had daily visitors. he still walks his dog every day, so can't be too sick...

Stay away from others, people! Not everyone will only have mild symptoms.

rbarnes

Well I'm officially in the group of knowing someone that knows someone that died of Covid.
Mom's life long friend went to convention in California first week of March, got fever 2 weeks later, in hospital and on ventilator 1 week after first fever, died 1 week after that. 1 month from infected to dead. :( . She was in her upper 70's, but in excellent health otherwise. No preexisting anything. Keep safe out there.

delta

I wonder how many on demand/forced portable oxygen systems Davis-Monthan Air Force Base has ready to distribute if they could somehow be modified to be useful.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I wonder how many on demand/forced portable oxygen systems Davis-Monthan Air Force Base has ready to distribute if they could somehow be modified to be useful.
How many do you think are still functional?

BJC

lr27

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
The wife's clinic finally relented and procured software so employees such as herself, that do 70% of their task in front of a screen, can remote in from home. They needed it years ago because they have outgrown the building. Letting them remote in 1 or 2 days a week, in rotation, would have freed up desk space.....But they have no COO. 🥺

I thought she might like to use the computer in her library because it has windows, plants, is well lit, quiet, warm and she has the best computer in the house there. It is just a more enjoyable space.

No, She decided to use her computer in the basement office about 5 feet from me. So I dutifully added a second vertical monitor for her Excel sheets and generally tidied up the area. Even cleaned the fish tanks so they wouldn't make noise due to clogged filters.

Day three:
It has begun. 🤯

This may not end well?

I thought with her working just 5 feet from my station I could depend on the wireless head phones to isolate me with AC/DC or Sabbath streaming in. So far this has worked out pretty well. I seem to be getting just as much work done as I do when she is home in the evening and interrupting with the latest "interesting" bit of trivia that comes across her FB feed.

I was unable to grasp the full impact that having her home during the day would have. It is worse than my fertile imagination can comprehend..........
😑
😑
😑
😑

After searching all of the 'logical' places she might have hidden the potato peeler, including emptying the 'use once every 3 month' utensil drawer I finally found it..........

Under the spoons in the silverware drawer. :eek: That is just 4 inches from it's assigned location. :mad:

If she hangs the TP roll backward!?! :grave:

Kidding aside - I'm actually getting more work done than I normally would on the AV-36 plans. There seem to be fewer distractions from her FB feed. :popcorn: