Still breathing!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
We are fine here. Wife is working from home now after I setup an office and equipment for her. I’m not working, having been laid off at AT&T last October along with 7,000 others (they have been doing mass layoffs every six months). I decided to use the life change as an opportunity to get back into flying for a living. I started talking to the airlines and they were gung-ho to put me to work even though I am getting close (within 3 years) to the age limit. They said that was no problem and they were happy to get someone even if it was just for one year), so I pulled about $40k from my 401K to refresh or complete all of my ratings and currency and get all my records in order. I was just about finished when this virus hit and sunk all of the airlines. Given the upheaval, I’m doubtful that things will return to a hiring phase before I age out. 😢

robertl

So far we are ok, no signs of any sickness even though my wife is a cath lab nurse at the ground zero hospital where it started in South Carolina. Fortunately, she does not have to enter that part of the hospital plus she's only working two to three days a week. This past January I had the worse cough ever, and it lasted for about 3 weeks, I really felt like crap. Plus in Dec. I was diagnosed with the flu, so, I believe I've already had Covid but still being cautious. I'm retired so I'm not out much anyway, (mostly taking care of the chickens and messing around in my shop) also, we are somewhat preppers so we keep a 6 months supply of everything we need to survive. If necessary, there are fish in the pond, squirrel and deer in the back yard and plenty of eggs ! I try to social distance myself at least twice a month, mostly from about 1500 ft. AGL.
Bob

Geraldc

I am in full lockdown in southern NZ. I was going to partition off some of my workshop for spraying epoxy undercoat but building supply place is shut.Tried a bit of spraying but stunk out the house upstairs.
I am using an Apollo turbine sprayer that leaves almost no overspray.

proppastie

Log Member
I think I had a mild case of it 2/20-2/24, so except for no place to go I am still out an about. Waiting for the blood test to see if I have antibodies but it will be a while before there are enough tests for the healthy.

Pops

Log Member
This is about the most useful info on the subject that I've come across . . . not that I go looking. You can't get away from it. See what you think.

Corona Video (Israeli)
So far we are ok, no signs of any sickness even though my wife is a cath lab nurse at the ground zero hospital where it started in South Carolina. Fortunately, she does not have to enter that part of the hospital plus she's only working two to three days a week. This past January I had the worse cough ever, and it lasted for about 3 weeks, I really felt like crap. Plus in Dec. I was diagnosed with the flu, so, I believe I've already had Covid but still being cautious. I'm retired so I'm not out much anyway, (mostly taking care of the chickens and messing around in my shop) also, we are somewhat preppers so we keep a 6 months supply of everything we need to survive. If necessary, there are fish in the pond, squirrel and deer in the back yard and plenty of eggs ! I try to social distance myself at least twice a month, mostly from about 1500 ft. AGL.
Bob
I like the distance :)

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
This whole Covid 19 situation has been one of the best situations in my life. My plumbing business is running at about 30% capacity and anyone who knows me knows I work 7 days a week. The slowdown has been a excellent awaking for me. My wife is the accounting manager for a major hospital and is now doing all her work at home on a laptop. The 2 boys are at home (9 & 15) and I get to spend time with them each day. This is great!
Because I’m only doing emergency plumbing until this passes I’m finding myself in the shop every day working on airplanes. I go on walks with my wife every day. Eat breakfast, lunch and supper with the wife and boys. It’s the most wonderful situation in my life.

Our daughter is in the Army in California and the entire base is **** down, quarantine. I FaceTime her daily. Her roommate / bunk mate had Coronovirus and was quarantined with her. She never got it. Lots and lots of Coronovirus on the base and everyone is doing great. Very mild symptoms and it’s over pretty fast. I’m so lucky I can use technology to FaceTime with her, what a great time to be alive.

Although my business is running far under capacity I’m still receiving calls throughout the day and I’m having a blast helping people with questions and trying to convince them to do simple plumbing themselves and that’s fun! I really enjoy teaching others so this has been another great benefit to the shutdown.

I have 5 friends that have tested positive and verified Coronovirus in my town. They are doing great. All 5 are over 50 years of age and they say it was less of a deal than past colds etc. because of this I find myself reconnecting with these people and checking up on them makes me feel pretty good.

With all this going on I got rid of Facebook on my phone and only have it at home which I don’t check on much anymore. My life improved immediately. Then I eliminated YouTube. My life improved immediately again. Zero news in my life. Again, life improved. I even started to turn off music in my shop most of the times. All this has made me actually enjoy silence. I remember this silence, from my youth. I swear that’s a type of prescription or solution to what ails us. To go to the shop and quietly be with your thoughts and the sounds of a file, a torch or even just sweeping is therapeutic. Or maybe just hearing the pages turn on a set of airplane plans, I found that really therapeutic.

I really found myself in all of this. It’s been such a blessing to me in so many ways.

I hope everyone is doing well here. I haven’t been on this forum in a long while but I’m getting a lot done and it feels great!

Peace
Mike

Last edited:

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Ha! I told my boss almost 7 months ago that I was resigning as of March 15th.

For the past 15 years, I worked in a Level I trauma center as a CT and trauma X-ray technologist, right in what is now Seattle's "ground-zero" for the pandemic. On March 15th, I had my first and last COVID-19 patient. ---I'm a little surprised they let me go. But, they haven't asked me to come back. And, being in a high-risk household with a wife who's also a critical care nurse at a different hospital, a new grandson, and a live-in mother-in-law with end-stage diabetes and multiple organ failure, I'm not going to volunteer to go back.

I'm now a full-time stay-at-home grandad, chauffer, cook, home health care aid, and yard boy! Oh yeah, and I get to work on airplanes a little bit.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
That must be an interesting run in the winter.
Yes, it can be. Few weeks ago we misjudged the weather and got stuck in Juneau for 4 extra days. Last week we made it back just a couple hours before a big blow, it came up to steady 40 knots, with a forcast of 20.....it has been interesting. Fun learning a new boat though. I spent the first half of my life on the water, and it's nice to get to do it again, but not full time.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere truly "safe" at the moment, but to all who are on the front lines, be careful, and God bless.

Bille Floyd

The place where I work is deemed an "essential" operation (non-profit org. rescuing homeless military veterans off the street... and homeless veterans are just about the highest risk group for getting and spreading this disease). So I have part time work.
Holly-Cow Dude ; you just shot UP a Gazillion points, on my Respect-O-meter !!!!!!!... ...
When this is all over ; id like to have a cold Beer , with Ya please ?

On Sunday, here in Las Vegas , (Clark county), there were 350 known cases of the
virus; today that shot up to 869, with 23 Deaths, for a 2.6% death rate . If i get this
bug ; my survival odds are kinda low, because i don't have a spleen.

Lake Mead is completely shut down , on the Nevada side , so no kiteboarding
for me ; i may go climb a nearby mountain with my Paraglider , and jump off
it, to try and catch a thermal , (social distancing , to the extreme) !!

Bille

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
869, with 23 Deaths, for a 2.6% death rate .
when those 23 caught it there probably were a lot less cases than the 869 of today..... the the rate could be higher......unless we test everyone for antibodies after it is all over the real rate is hard to know. The numbers published do have meaning in a relative context though.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
Health is fine. Pretty sure this thing has been moving through here (Texas) since January though, as I know a quite a few people who were down with a very nasty flu, but are all fine now. I am self employed and work with the Schools, them being closed is COSTING ME A LOT OF MONEY. For me at least, it seems the medicine is much worse then the cure.

Last edited:

davidb

Given the upheaval, I’m doubtful that things will return to a hiring phase before I age out. 😢
By September we’ll be able to better predict what the passenger airlines’ futures will be. Right now a ten year lull in hiring is a reasonable prediction.