Still breathing!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

This thread is for members to let the others know their Covid status.
I can't see any relevant threads on here. Apologies if I'm flouting a rule I am unaware of.
No discussion of Covid! This is facts about you, no opinions or facts from the media. That will go down the toilet of politics way too fast.

Ok, I'll start...

I am on paid leave until 17th March due to county stay home orders. I have started developing mild symptoms and will be staying home. I have hoarded plenty of food and have money in the bank. I have health and sickness insurance and someone who has probably already had it to call on should I need it. I have plenty to do at home. I should be fine.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
No hoarding here, though if someone looked at our pantry they would think so. We routinely use 6 to 12 mount old stock to make sure it doesn't get wasted.
I'm a natural hermit type so the social distancing and restricted travel hasn't effected me much. :cool:. The kids on the other hand........:rolleyes:

I also have plenty to keep me busy inside and once the weather warms up plenty to do solo outside. Been educating myself on the cottage industry/open source ventilator efforts. If I can adapt some of my fabrication skills and equipment to the effort I'll do so. Just haven't yet found a collaboration site to join?

As for me personally, I've stopped taking my Montelukast so those normally pesky eosinophils can help chew up any nasty virus the wife may bring home from the clinic.

Pops

Log Member
If you don't prepare for the emergencies , do you expect someone else the take care of you and spend their time, effort and money on you instead of themselfs and their families? If you don't do all you can do to take care for yourself, you are to blame. Your best is required.
Growing up where we grew or killed almost all of our food , if we didn't store up and prepare for the winter we would have starved to death. It was bad enough when we put 100% effort to take care of our selves and still had to live on canned blackberries for about 6 or 7 weeks.
You do your best and pray for the rest.

Living out in the country with trees everywhere our grid electric is off very often. The winds were blowing about 30 knots yesterday and our electric went off at about noon and didn't come on until almost midnight last night. Just takes one tree or large limb to come down and take the power off. No problem, we just went on the solar.
Like John Wayne said. "Life is hard and its especially hard for the stupid ".

I 'm like Hot Wings, I'm a natural hermit. Don't like being around any group of people. I like staying home away from people. My wife is far more social than I am. When we go into a restaurant I always ask for a table where I can have my back to the wall. My wife just puts up with it.
Paranoid ? Maybe. But, I'll be prepared.

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I am on paid leave until 17th March due to county stay home orders. I have started developing mild symptoms...
Take care, get well soon, and let us know how it goes for you.

I'm fine, but was nearly killed by a hostile mob in Kroger after I sneezed (into my arm). Bad timing having this thing hit just as the pollen count is rising in the northern hemisphere.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Moderator Note: As a "member check-in", I don't think there's really a problem with this thread. But as was noted in the first couple of posts, this thread has HUGE potential to head into politics, government, and other material that is against the HBA Code of Conduct. Please keep it on-topic, and I'm inclined to let this run. Need to talk to the other mods about it, though.

don january

Log Member
Well here in North Dakota we self isolate and stock food every year its called "WINTER" so that hasn't been a big shock to my family. Many snow birds are returning from down south soon and that has become a concern for the community.

Pops

Log Member
Well here in North Dakota we self isolate and stock food every year its called "WINTER" so that hasn't been a big shock to my family. Many snow birds are returning from down south soon and that has become a concern for the community.
Some of the snow birds came back to our airport yesterday and found the electric off. Bet they were not happy.

Hephaestus

I'm alive and kicking. Am stuck isolating, sore throat and nasty cough since Saturday.

Pissing me off because my long awaited medical appeals has been put off until TBD. Don't quite get how it can't be Skype/document based... But it is what it is.

Wanttaja

First reported case here in Seattle was late January. About two weeks after that, my wife came down with what we thought was a vicious cold...coughing, fever, etc. It just wouldn't go away. She went to urgent care twice for it, and they basically shrugged (this was before COVID-19 hit the news hard). Her lung capacity was down to 70%.

She recovered, though it took about three weeks. Whatever it was, I caught it myself about midway through her bout, but much milder.

In retrospect, we think we might have had COVID-19. At the tail end of her case, Coronavirus had turned into a big deal. She contacted her doctor to see if she could get tested, but this was still the time period where it took a writ from the Holy See to get tested.

So...we're both recovered. It's possible it *WAS* COVID-19, and that we would probably be safe, now. They have a test for the antibodies now (to tell if you've had it), but it's difficult to get THAT, too. So...we're playing it cautious.

Ron Wanttaja

dog

Weather has finaly broke,snows melting.
Soon as the ground thaws Im plowing up a patch
and manoring it,just a home garden but big.
If I want any of it I have to get a long gun for the deer.
And I got the hardware to bolt the landing gear on my project,last builder drilled 4 out of the six holes with I dont know what, randomly placed oblong holes, so puzzled out a fix for that.
"physical distancing " is in "social" is something something something couldnt be bothered to read it.
The people working cash ,lot of them are scared and working anyway,be nice,do the whole step back on the line, put your left foot in,shake it all about, whatever,
We are bieng threatened with $2000 fines for breaking the rules that nobody is quite sure what they are.
Things are good here still but the fan is spraying nothing but brown in other places.

Be safe Be kind

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I am able to keep working, mostly from home, though much of the work I'd normally be involved with is on indefinite hold so I just do what I can. We got our son back from college in the UK (now on self-quarantine because of travel), two teenagers in high school started online classes today, my wife is doing some telecommuting and a gazillion things around the house to keep busy. Basically, we're all trying to keep the family circus under control here in Northwest Florida. I am planning to build a shed if I can get the materials (in person or delivered), which should let me move enough stuff out of the garage to be able to work there on something like...VP-2 parts! Though am considering a small camper trailer project to provide group therapy and a little extra elbow room. At least, that's the theory. Keep safe and sane all! Cheers, Matthew

Victor Bravo

The place where I work is deemed an "essential" operation (non-profit org. rescuing homeless military veterans off the street... and homeless veterans are just about the highest risk group for getting and spreading this disease). So I have part time work.

Personally I have no suspicious symptoms, a little runny nose but no fever or cough. I also took Cheapracer's advice pretty seriously, and have been taking Vitamin C and multi-vitamins. But I did bring home my paint respirator and rubber gloves from the hangar!

My wife's office closed (property management), and the freeways here in Los Angeles look like it's 1975 again. I never thought I'd ever again see sustained 65 MPH speed on the freeway at 4PM in my lifetime!

Our little miniature Dachshund, however, thinks COVID-19 is the greatest thing in the world because we're home petting him far far more often than last month.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Nothing much to report here. I work from home anyway so, for me, this is... Monday. Only one small project for USC cancelled, other than that, everything is rolling on as before.

New cases in Orange County peaked sharply two days ago, with a radical reduction (less than half of the peak) for each of the last two days. If there's any logic to "social distancing" and the presumed 10-14 day incubation period, we seem to be past the worst of it.

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter
N. Wisconsin pretty much covid 19 free....widely scattered single cases. I'm retired so no layoff or job worries for me.
I stock 6 months of canned and dry goods and rely on store just for fresh stuff. Stores are well supplied, no shortages, so far.
People in this area a above average in age, so hunkering down during normal flu season is normal.
Had rotator cuff surgery in Feb, so I've been chillin' and healin'.....the continuation of which I have no problem.
Getting back in shop and building on my cruzer to exercise my shoulder. Weather is warming, so walking the dogs is fun.
There are local rumbling about "snow birds" coming back and spreading the virus, also rumblings 'bout the "big city" people heading north to escape the virus, and possibly bringing something with 'em…...supposed to quarantine for 2 weeks if the do....You know how that works.
Hoping to see decline in cases as spring progresses, like the normal flu season.

D Hillberg

Press is B.S.ing everyone, less then .01% affected from the bug here, Looks more like "The Omega Man".
50% or more are in a panic buying up the toilet paper & eggs ( egging & TeePeeing a house later?)
All a tempest in a pee pot. Look up "empty hospitals" . . . Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmm?"

Pops

Log Member
First reported case here in Seattle was late January. About two weeks after that, my wife came down with what we thought was a vicious cold...coughing, fever, etc. It just wouldn't go away. She went to urgent care twice for it, and they basically shrugged (this was before COVID-19 hit the news hard). Her lung capacity was down to 70%.

She recovered, though it took about three weeks. Whatever it was, I caught it myself about midway through her bout, but much milder.

In retrospect, we think we might have had COVID-19. At the tail end of her case, Coronavirus had turned into a big deal. She contacted her doctor to see if she could get tested, but this was still the time period where it took a writ from the Holy See to get tested.

So...we're both recovered. It's possible it *WAS* COVID-19, and that we would probably be safe, now. They have a test for the antibodies now (to tell if you've had it), but it's difficult to get THAT, too. So...we're playing it cautious.

Ron Wanttaja
Sounds familiar.

We had Christmas dinner with our Children, GrandChildren. My oldest Granddaughter (nurse) was here with his husband. He told me he had just left his younger brother that came home on leave from the Army and got the flue and was sick in bed. About 2 weeks latter everyone at the dinner got sick. I had it the worse and was down for over 2.5 weeks, sore throat, fever, bad coughing, weak, etc, that would not go away. My wife a few days less than me. My oldest daughter about 10 days, etc , until the youngest about 4 days. We all had the same thing. I also think we might have had the COVID-19.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not too many cases in the part of CT where I live yet, but all "non essential" businesses are closed. I'm still working because we're "essential", right now making (among other things) parts for the ventilators that GM is building. Worked from home last week, then they called us back but split engineering into two shifts, I'm now working 5am to 12:15, the other half is working 12:30 to 7:45. Having the afternoon off could be nice if I can get used to getting up at 4:30am. Our daughters, one's a teacher and still getting paid, just started online classes for her students, the other's a nurse in southern NY in one of the hardest hit communities but still in good spirits.

lr27

Although I don't know anyone with it yet, apparently the hospitals around here are overloaded and there are thousands of cases, a large portion of which can be traced to one international conference. I'm skeptical, but I'm hoping the idea that this thing will subside in warmer weather is correct. Meanwhile, .07 percent of the county I live in has a KNOWN case. I'm sure there are many more unknown cases. The number of cases in my state doubled in 3 days, and the three days before that as well. At the beginning of the month we had ONE known case, now we have thousands. New York, of course, is far worse. If your area doesn't have many cases yet, try to keep it that way.

Anyway, I don't know anyone who's died, but a friend of my wife's does, and we actually know who it is. Just trying to be careful here, but at least I can still walk in the park up the street, which is large, wooded, and hilly. Someone needs to figure out how to 3D print toilet paper. I can't hear the interstate from my house these days, but I can from the top of a hill that's closer.

I have a copy of Solidworks and can contribute some CAD work, though I'm not great with swoopy shapes.

lr27

P.S. I predict that, this Halloween or next, trees will be festooned with more TP than ever before. Also that there will be a crash in the TP industry when all apartments and houses are full. I just want to find one package of it soon. Otherwise, how will I blot excess epoxy out of fiberglass?