Stewart Systems Alternates/substitutes

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
For what it’s worth, the 3M 30NF meets the requirements of MIL-A-24179A, Type 1.

And, as you know, because of this the front is not supposed to fall off ;)
the front falling off is very unusual

flyingforx

Well I can attest for it yet, but I just purchased paint frim Hipec. A company based in Canada. Cheap, light, three coats, no stitching or tapes... Bold statements but I'll let you know how it comes out. They even have STC for some aircraft I think.

Mohawk750

Well I can attest for it yet, but I just purchased paint from Hipec. A company based in Canada. Cheap, light, three coats, no stitching or tapes... Bold statements but I'll let you know how it comes out. They even have STC for some aircraft I think.
Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about Hipec, they've been around for as long or longer than most other "modern" covering systems. I have no personal experience with it but I do know that the top coat is quite popular in Canada and has been used over other systems in the past.

A quick read on the website shows that it is STC'd for certified aircraft but have not dug in to see if the STC requires rib attachment. The rib stitch, rivet, screw and clip fans here are likely to have a problem with this statement from the website.
1612707164382.png

Please share your experience. It would be great to hear if others have used this system and how it's holding up.

proppastie

Log Member
I had looked at this back in 2017 .....now looking again....the large amount of rivets on my stiffener fix made me wonder if I could perhaps not have to use anti-chafe tape over them....the idea being if the fabric is glued down and does not move then a sharp edge sticking up on a flat sheet would not "work" and cut the fabric....I wrote to them and this is what they said:

"Hi Don,
!) No metal primer required on the AL structures ( just nice and clean free off grease, silicone etc
2) We would recommend 2 coats of Sun Barrier (SB) if left outside
3) The initial glue ( Like our HAG) only bonds the fabric to the structure until the 1st ironing is completed. Our SB is a vastly superior glue to anything available on the market plus a excellent sun block. The HAG and SB will easily bridge the dings
4) Surface tapes are your call. We never use them plus with our system there are no seams after blending in with our thinned Hag

Thanks- Robert Fraser

Don- You should never have any sharp edges anywhere on everything period plus make sure the rivet heads are properly attached by using a small air hammer with the correct curved head to make screwed up rivets "flusher/rounder". You can always use chafe tape if you are concerned but if it's just AL tubing you'll be fine. "

any thoughts from the list?....he never uses surface tape but might need anti-chafe tape?.......

Orange4sky

I’m not recommending Sherwin Williams Pro Industrial Pre-Cat Waterbased Urethane. It’s tough but too soft. It scratches very easily and must be thinned too much IMO. It has excellent adhesion but the gloss is not great. It also gets water marks from raindrops. They seem to disappear after a time but can’t be a good sign for longevity. It could be I got an expired can but none of this bodes well. I’m going to paint my shop door with it so that will give me a long term test but I think I’ll go with something commercial.

Does anyone have experience with the Hipec? That’s what I’m leaning towards now.

PTAirco

I'm a fan of the System Three Polyurethane. And no, you will NOT have to use a flex agent with ANY urethane paint; they are all quite flexible, from the Aliphatic PU (Awlgrip, etc) to the single part moisture cures (several marine/yachting sources as well as industrial) to the water borne like System Three.
I have seen countless examples of polyurethane finishes on fabric that have cracked over just a few years. Even those with "flex agents" added. From early 80's Imron to whatever it was that Aviat puts on Huskies now. As long as you don't touch it and it doesn't move it won't crack, sure. But fabric moves, vibrates and flutters.
'
I repaired a 2012 Husky not long ago. Paint looked shiny and new. In areas of damage (it flipped over) I could slide my fingers under the cracked edges of the paint and peel off the entire top coating. Some kind of Dupont stuff Aviat uses. The base of Ceconite and dope underneath was fine. But I guess everyone is a chemist and knows better. I get countless people asking me to fix the cracked paint on their fabric airplanes; I just say no. I am tired of all these mystery paints applied over mystery bases on mystery fabric, even if the logs say Stits or Ceconite. Why can't people stick with what works? I know we're Experimenters - it's fun to try something new and if it works better - great. But if we already know it doesn't, why make life so difficult?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Imron is the worse. Never put on fabric. Old friend of mine bought a Champ with Imron over Poly-Fiber poly spray. 1-2 ft wide sheets peeled of the sides of the fuselage. Fabric behind the prop blast will be the first to peel.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I was helping a Stinson owner assemble his freshly covered wings with Imron topcoat. (only the best!)
He laid the wings on the soft snow and his dog ran across one wing and shattered the Imron. :mad:
I had a paint shop in the 70‘s when Imron was all the rage. Worked fine on Cessnas.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Canceled

Last edited:

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
If it's Shiny yer after, Polythane. Saw a beautiful cub last weekend. Stits all the way. Silver, then a white coat, and Cub Yellow Polythane. It was drop dead gorgeous, and the cover job was 5 years old already.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I remember when J-3 Cubs were coming off the line at Pa. Ever saw a shiny one. Know a boy that lied about his age and rating and started ferrying J-3's from Lock Haven , Pa to South America with a 5 gal gas can in the from seat and a bag of clothes at 16 years old.
Great pilot, I have flown with him.
If you have watched any FAA films or Air Force training films, you have seen his work.