Quantcast

Single Tube Fuselage idea

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

erkki67

Im wondering if such a simple design, as sketched or photographed from the past can generate a interesst ?

design follows function, right?!

So, how to design a good looking bird around a simple and straight tube for the fuselage?

Contenders are the Penetrater, Birdman TL-1A, the POC of Ivanov.

And to make it worse, the thing is to be stored in a 20' seafreight container or single car garage, within a few minutes after the flight.

Fritz had the first Ranger built with a tube only for the tail and a wooden structure for the Cockpit, the aim would be here, that the basic structure is a tube from the engine mount to the tail-post, with a secondary structure built on that tube for the pilots seating ,controls and wing attachement structure.

rotax618

This Winton Gold Coaster is essentially a “Single Tube” aircraft, the fuse tube is a 4”x3” 6061t6 box section kinked up at the spar attachment, and a short vertical post to carry the engine and wing struts, the tube Was joined by tig welding. It is a very simple construction.B32474E3-4A2C-4B51-8165-439483A94B63.jpeg

erkki67

A quick update...

I shortened the fuselage a little to keep the gear from interfering with the pilots feet
View attachment 89754

Higher parts count than the AP but half the weight. Either tin snips and templates or CNC would be easy enough.
View attachment 89755

The wing would be tin, I just stuck the ranger wing on to see how things line up. I'm still not sure what motor it needs.
View attachment 89757
Fritz, what kind of tubing had you foreseen for this one?

Could this be ordered in the US bent to shape?

Erkki

litespeed

This Winton Gold Coaster is essentially a “Single Tube” aircraft, the fuse tube is a 4”x3” 6061t6 box section kinked up at the spar attachment, and a short vertical post to carry the engine and wing struts, the tube Was joined by tig welding. It is a very simple construction.View attachment 93910
Another great design from the House of Winton.

The same house that gave us the Sapphire, Ultrabat and the world beating Facet Opal.

rotax618

The Gold Coaster was a locally modified Sportsman, the sportsman was designed and built by Col Winton, father of Scott Winton who designed and built those other classic Winton aircraft. Col was a prolific aircraft designer/builder, the Cricket, Grasshopper, Jackeroo, Sportsman, Swing Wing and a others.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Matthew, you find the coolest little airplanes! I wish the Europeans would have kept up having their light airplane contests so we could see stuff like this fly!

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Thanks, I like old planes and weird planes and especially old weird planes. I actually don't like that one very much -- why give up the structural benefits of a biplane by using cantilever wings, and why so little wing area? -- but I thought the cockpit pod/engine/tail boom and big door were interesting.

Matthew, you find the coolest little airplanes! I wish the Europeans would have kept up having their light airplane contests so we could see stuff like this fly!

nestofdragons

How big must the vertical separation be?
If you look at this table of data of the best known flying fleas, you might find i fewtips. ENTREPLAN VERTICAL is the vertical distance. CORD is chord. AILE AVANT is front wing.

http://pouguide.org/uploads/vergel_tabel_POU 12.xls

Also i would suggest like erkki67 said to keep torsion of the fuselage in mind. Flying Fleas are known for that torsion in the fuselage. Maybe make a triangular crosssection fuselage.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
That's a really elegant idea. Would it have to be round tube? Wouldn't square tube allow some more secure attachment points for motor and gear and such? Bending square tube has it's own challenges, but I like having flat surfaces to rivet things to.