Quantcast

Single Tube Fuselage idea

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dillpickle

What must be done to a quicksilver sprint wing to swap from wire bracing to strut bracing, while keeping the same tubing outer diameter ?
Close to what you are talking about?

erkki67

Close to what you are talking about?
To take the same tubing size outer diameter and the same dimensions . The material and the wall gauge might change, or would change most probably. It would be great if a few parts of the Quicksilver could be recycled to be used on a different layout.

the single tube design of Fritz combined with Quicksilver wings and tailgroup, would give a great little flyer.

there are hundreds laying around in hangars today, partly dismantled, so why not giving those parts a second life In a different layout!?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Why would you build this way other than, “I have *this* much tubing, a bender, and no saw. Let’s do this!”?

"Hey there Bubba, it's Billy-Bob... my company just bought this million dollar CNC tube bender and I have a key to get into the shop on the weekend... what kinda cool s**t do you think can we do with it ?"

Doran Jaffas

Why would you build this way other than, “I have *this* much tubing, a bender, and no saw. Let’s do this!”?
Look up the Hovey Wing Ding 2. The Great great grandfather of ultralights. I owned one back in the 70's.

Doran Jaffas

Needed something better than the MC Cullough 101 A engine. Hovey improved the design but several flew. Hovey himself said that he used a 75 foot tape measure and when that left the ground he stopped climbing! He was an interesting fellow to talk to.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Needed something better than the MC Cullough 101 A engine. Hovey improved the design but several flew. Hovey himself said that he used a 75 foot tape measure and when that left the ground he stopped climbing! He was an interesting fellow to talk to.
Did your’s fly?

Did you fly it?

Did you fly out of ground effect and maneuver it in the air?

I ask because I never have seen video of anything but straight flight down a runway. Hovey sold a huge number of cheap plans, and, apparently, did not provide follow-up support. Probably the best was to make money from selling “airplane” plans.

BJC

Sockmonkey

Since storage and trailering is a major point for a simple cheap design, something plug-and-play for setting it up is a big deal.
Here's my latest brain fart.

The seat and engine are not shown, but this is a sit-on-top design and you guys know where everything would go.
Minmax type struts and gear because because it's a nice sturdy setup.
Instead of folding wings, the tail boom is removable.
Just plug it into the main body tube and secure it with a pin.
The special feature that would make you want to do it like this is that this is a two-axis design, and all the control runs and the socket the control stick fits into are in the tail tube.
None of the runs need to be disconnected to remove the tail.
There is a little hole in the fore body tube for the control stick to stick up out of.
You just unscrew the stick, pull the securing pin, and the tail boom slides out.
There is a little kick-stand in the nose under the engine mount so it doesn't nose over when the tail is removed.
All-flying elevator and rudder because why not.

erkki67

Sockmonkey, and if you turned the wing struts like on a VP upside down, then the builder would have the possibility to have a real landing gear, and not only a molehill killer bar gear.

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey, and if you turned the wing struts like on a VP upside down, then the builder would have the possibility to have a real landing gear, and not only a molehill killer bar gear.
There's not really anyplace to brace the struts other than by being the gear. Remember this is a narrow tube the pilot will be straddling.

WonderousMountain

You could run one to the engine mount,
One to the seat back. The gear will be a
Clunky bugger. I'd like to see rudder the
same size as elevator semispan, with this
you have a clear recipe.

With a few Intersections, you
could acquire A lot of utylity.