Sadler Vampire

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The company had built about 25 aircraft when they started to develop a two seat version. I did not agree with the company's decision to develop the two seater at that time and left the company. Shortly thereafter the company went into liquidation having completed a few more single seaters. The two seater had not been completed at that stage.
Ken,
Noting the above, will there be a two seater eventually?

flyvulcan

Log Member
Hi Ken,

Good on you for getting this fine aircraft back into the international arena.

Does the GA9 Starship share any lineage to the Piranha? I have been admiring that version of the Vampire recently and have been thinking it could form the basis for a neat high performance experimental. It seems you have done just that.

Dave

(fellow Aussie)

maruca

does any body has the plans for a sadler vampire 2 seat side by side if not where could i get them

joe nelson

I would like to have plans for both the two seater and the Pirranna. The vampire series U/Ls are my favorites since they first came out. They have so many possibilities for fun!

spduffee

Pirahna is my favorite. If it were marketed today, it would surely sell a great nmber of plans, kits or whatever. People all over the world are talking about it.

thump

When I was 17 (this was 1983 or 1984 )I was working on a small airport in Phoenix AZ. doing odd jobs for flight time in a Citabria. One day a guy pulled in with the neatest looking ultralight I have ever seen.Some one told me he had just finished building it and still doing test.So I took some pictures of it.Can anybody tell me if this is Bill Sadler with the prototype? Sorry the pic are not that great but it was a long time ago.Thanks for any help.v1 001.jpgv2 001.jpgv4 001.jpgv3 001.jpg

Last edited:

Rienk

When I was 17 (this was 1983 or 1984 )I was working on a small airport in Phoenix AZ. doing odd jobs for flight time in a Citabria. One day a guy pulled in with the neatest looking ultralight I have ever seen.Some one told me he had just finished building it and still doing test.So I took some pictures of it.Can anybody tell me if this is Bill Sadler with the prototype? Sorry the pic are not that great but it was a long time ago.Thanks for any help./QUOTE]

That is definitely the Sadler Vampire, and if the pictures were taken in the early 80's, that is probably Bill himself (I don't know what he looks like)

thump

Thank you for your reply Rienk,( I'v been looking through the web and I can't find a single pic. of the man either)

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
...Can anybody tell me if this is Bill Sadler with the prototype? Sorry the pic are not that great but it was a long time ago...
My recollection (for what little it's worth) is that the prototype had a red pod, not blue or green, as this one appears to be. Always liked this aircraft, though.

fredoyster

I spent some time a few months ago talking with the present owners of the Vampire 2-seat project, who are in Oregon. A while ago they posted some ads trying to sell what they owned. There isn't much in common between the ultralight (intended to be Part 103, aluminum boom and skins) and the 2-seat (rather luxe interior, fiberglass fuselage from molds, folding wing, apparently quite heavy) except the general twin-boom configuration. There are photos and videos online of the last 2-seat mockups, and most of this hardware including one airframe that flew for about 20 hours in Phase I may be available for sale. There is a Jabiru 3300 engine but some of the instruments, controls etc were removed from the aircraft, apparently in a hangar burglary. They also have the (disassembled) red ultralight that appears in many of the early photos. There is apparently very little documentation; some CAD drawings and some fuselage molds. The airframes are on the east coast, the molds in Oregon. Some number of "Piranha" variants were made and sold to a foreign country. Sadler is still alive in his 80s and also in Oregon, but has no connection with the investor group who have the molds and prototypes. There was apparently a falling-out between them. I got the impression that there were many issues with the composite construction due to the inexperience of the team building the prototype, with the expected result (it's too heavy.)

I think there's a much better chance of getting something from the Australian group if they are actually drawing plans and doing continuing engineering on the model based on the original aluminum design.

thump

Thank you topaz, I'v had these pictures for 30 years and I always wondered about that.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Thank you topaz, I'v had these pictures for 30 years and I always wondered about that.
You're welcome, but I'd take my recollection in this case with a rather large grain of salt. I'm pretty sure the proto (or at least the one that appeared in all the magazine photoshoots) had a red pod, at least at the time of the articles, but that means little. Perhaps someone with more detailed knowledge will chime in.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
The plane used in the first ads was red, but that doesn't mean that the prototype was red. In fact the photo above has a color that I don't remember being available so could be a hand painted rather then production gel coat. Also I found this picture that looks like it could be the same person (upper right)? The trailer in the above photo also looks like a converted boat trailer, rather than the custom trailer that was used in the ads.

Attachments

litespeed

"Gel Coat"- I thought the Vampire has a metal fuselage not glass.- could be wrong. So that would be paint not gel coat.

I remember checking one out years ago at Camden years ago (where Aussie produced Vampires were made).

Lovely little bird, really glad there are back in bussiness esp since it is here in OZ again.

One day will go check them out again and hide my wallet.

Litespeed

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Gel Coat"- I thought the Vampire has a metal fuselage not glass.- could be wrong.
The aft fuselage was metal, but the front pod is fiberglass.

Dana

Everybody who lives, dies, but not everybody who dies, has lived.

spduffee

Hey all, I just saw this posted on Barnstormers:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VAMPIRE ONLY ONE BUILTAVAILABLE This is a one of a kind aircraft with only 92 hours total time, Bill Sadler of Sadler Vampires , You have seen his other nice Vampires, But this is the first time you have ever seen This Vampire , 578 EW and 900 TW has BRS, 95hp Rotex, water cool engine , A 6' 6" 305 lb pilot can fit in to this 20" wide seat, Can ship overseas MAKE OFFER. • Contact Gene Knight, Owner - located Raeford, NC USA • Telephone: 910-904-0445 • Posted July 21, 2013

I wrote him to ask more about it. I may call him tomorrow. Has anyone ever heard of this Vampire before, or know the Seller? I can't buy it, and I'm sure it will go for a premium, but I would like to build one, especially if it carries a 6'6" 300 lb pilot....

[/FONT]1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I have not seen mention of the folks at Inverted V that converted a Sadler to their inverted V tail configuration with the intent of producing their version of the aircraft.

Anyone know their whereabouts? I last saw them at the second Sebring LSA show.

Is there any connection between the Aero.V.Australia company and the Inverted V design?

Last edited: