Sadler Vampire

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

JimCovington

Isn't that an Australian site?

This is a pretty US-specific model. Designed in the US, flown in the US, used in a US weapons test program - it and its descendants never made it to Australia.

AFAIK, it has no parts in common with the Australian SV models. It's a one-off.

Here's how I understand the lineage:

Bill Sadler designed and built the 250 lb US ultralight model. About 36 were built. A variation of that became the "SV" series that was built down under.
Bill then designed the EXP001, which I have, as a derivative of the UL and leased it to General Atomics for the predator program. He retained ownership.
The Piranha was a derivative of the plane I have in concept only. The Piranha has similar dimensions but about 5x the horsepower.
The armed plane that went to Turkey's air force was a Piranha derivative. Not much is known about it, and Bill wasn't forthcoming with details. I believe about 10 were built and they were all delivered.
The USA LSA model was similar in concept only - once again, no common parts. It was designed & built by Bill. As a two-seater, it was pretty much completely different from the single seaters. The original caught fire & burned (rotary engine, anyone?) in Ohio a few years ago. The company then went out of business and the assets were sold this year.

Anyone got anything to add?

craig saxon

Yes it is an Australian site. There is still a lot of interest in Australia on all versions of the Vampire, I just thought some one here in Oz might be interested in your project. I for one would be if I had the spare $$$.
Craig

JimCovington

Aha - I imagine the shipping/crating charges would equal the cost of the airframe! I have no idea - how much is it to ship a 20' container down under? anyone know?

Yes, it will fit in a 20' container without disassembly. It's a little bugger.

autoreply

Aha - I imagine the shipping/crating charges would equal the cost of the airframe! I have no idea - how much is it to ship a 20' container down under? anyone know?

Yes, it will fit in a 20' container without disassembly. It's a little bugger.
I know shipping a 20' container to the US eastcoast is just over 1000 euro's. Westcoast of the US to AU is roughly twice the distance, so 3000 US$ give or take?

craig saxon

I've given up on getting my friend to scan all my vampire info and bought a scanner. If anyones interested in getting it, 34.1mb, PM me and I will send it to your email address. It's all the promotional stuff from the Australian Vampire from the 1980's.
Craig

GlassVampire

Hey everybody, Craig emailed me the info and doesn't mind if I post it to Rapidshare so I'm doing so now. I'll post the URL soon.

Ognjen

Hi, the links are down is it possible to re-up the files or to send them to me via email.
Thanks

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The USA LSA model was similar in concept only - once again, no common parts. It was designed & built by Bill. As a two-seater, it was pretty much completely different from the single seaters. The original caught fire & burned (rotary engine, anyone?) in Ohio a few years ago. The company then went out of business and the assets were sold this year.

Anyone got anything to add?
A little to add: The plan caught fire after the crash, which sometimes happens with any type of engine. The cause of the crash (see NTSB CHI08LA274) was a failed PSRU, not the rotary engine. This nonfatal crash did "kill" Sadler's airplane company and surely helped put Rotomax (the engine/psru maker) out of business.

M61A!

May be a bit late to jump on the bandwagon, I have a book, titled, "flyer's guide to ultralights" by Jim Campbell, published around 1985. It is an American book, and has a test flight type review on the Sadler Vampire as well as a spec sheet. I noted that some of the specs vary from those on the one you display, possibly due to engine variations.

Regards
Mick

Vampire

Hello to all Sadler Vampire fans. I am glad to see there is still so much interest in the Vampire after so many years. Let me introduce myself and correct some miss information about the aircraft. My name is Ken Garland and I have been involved with the Vampire for over 30 years. Bill Sadler originally built the Vampire in the US before selling the rights to Skywise Ultraflight in Australia. Skywise modified the design to meet Australian ultralight regulations allowing for a MTOW of 290Kg. All aircraft were completed or modified to their SV-2 model which was powered by a Rotax 447 engine. I was the company's Manager and Chief Engineer. Whe company had built about 25 aircraft when they started to develop a two seat version. I did not agree with the company's decision to develop the two seater at that time and left the company. Shortly thereafter the company went into liquidation having completed a few more single seaters. The two seater had not been completed at that stage.

The ownership of the Vampire changed hands several times with only one additional aircraft being completed. This aircraft went to New Zealand. I aquired ownership of the Vampire along with spare parts, tooling, drawings and data package some 5 years ago. We tried to put the aircraft back into production under my company Aero.V.Australia however the manufacturing process as it was then was very labour intensive. My company's main focus was aircraft maintenance and repair and this along with the Worlds Monitary Meltdown forced me to abandon manufacture at the time. I sold Aero.V.Australia some 18 months ago to concentrate on the Vampire and set about re-doing all the drawings on CAD. I have since built two aircraft from CAD/CNC parts and have 5 kits being assembled by amateur builders. Once I am satisfied with the build manual, kits will be available. The Vampire will be available in two models the Vampire 1 to meet US and some European ultralight requirements and the Vampire III to LSA standard offering increased MTOW. I am also negotiating to have the aircraft built under a licence agreement in both models and hope to be able to make an anouncement about this very soon.

More details of the aircraft can be seen on my website at Welcome to Garland Aerospace Pty. Ltd. | Garland Aerospace Pty. Ltd.

Vampire III -2.jpg

Ken Garland

1Bad88

Thanks for the update Ken, I hope that you will be successful as there are some people on this side of the pond that would like to build / own Vampires that are in new condition.

skier

I have since built two aircraft from CAD/CNC parts and have 5 kits being assembled by amateur builders. Once I am satisfied with the build manual, kits will be available. The Vampire will be available in two models the Vampire 1 to meet US and some European ultralight requirements and the Vampire III to LSA standard offering increased MTOW. I am also negotiating to have the aircraft built under a licence agreement in both models and hope to be able to make an anouncement about this very soon.
Keep us updated. It's a beautiful aircraft and it will be nice to see some more flying soon!

Group Builder