Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
For a pusher you would need a prop rod that pulled out of the lanyard tunnel upon deployment if anything had the potential to foul or damage the lanyard.

pictsidhe

Just a thought, how many aircraft that have BRS fitted are 'Pushers' ???? surely the prop would sever the risers as it was deployed.
I think they use kevlar risers that are extremely difficult for a prop to cut. Still won't be fun if it gets wrapped around the prop. You would land nose first...

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think the rocket deploys straight up from the CG. So a tumbling aircraft could foul in a tractor prop also.
Not without risk.

ScaleBirdsScott

Those risers being kevlar indeed should help against a prop. Ideally could also have some extra protective wraps and anti-chafing sleeves where the prop might possibly hit. Having seen what those risers are like working at a parachute company, I'd actually not be surprised that in a battle between blade and riser, the riser wins.

Alessandre

I could say after the beech starship the raptor is a more beaultifull canard that I had seen. Because of the turbos the engine sounds almost a turboprop.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
It’ll be interesting to see if they get much accomplished today. It is IFR/MVFR in the area this morning and I don’t expect to see good VFR today.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
Justin and Elliot are heading home. No flight this week. Apparently, they don’t want to do the test flight out of here (KCNI) because there are no good options if there is a big problem right after takeoff.....
I’ve been saying that all along. Now what does Peter do? Disassemble it and move to Rome? Try and fly it himself?

Yikes.

Rod Schneider

Ball Ground, GA. About 40 miles north of Atlanta
6,000 feet is 1,000 more than Cherokee. The big issue is where to go if there is a major problem right after takeoff. Cherokee is surrounded by lots of trees and little, if any, open ground. The only decent option would be Interstate 575 which runs roughly parallel to the runway, about 3/4 of a mile or so away. It has it's own issues with numerous power lines crossing the roadway. In Rome (KRMG) there is at least a fair amount of flat, cleared land around the airport.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
6,000 feet is 1,000 more than Cherokee. The big issue is where to go if there is a major problem right after takeoff. Cherokee is surrounded by lots of trees and little, if any, open ground. The only decent option would be Interstate 575 which runs roughly parallel to the runway, about 3/4 of a mile or so away. It has it's own issues with numerous power lines crossing the roadway. In Rome (KRMG) there is at least a fair amount of flat, cleared land around the airport.
Rome also has much friendlier over-runs than Cherokee County. You have grass-fence-trees. Not a steep drop-off directly into a forest.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Rome looks incrementally better, with a longer runway and longer cleared areas off the ends of the runway. It also has several cleared fields near the airport. But it's still not ideal for early test flights, with lots of timber and rough terrain.

I just don't understand why Peter didn't base the Raptor project out of a large airport in flat geography like Mojave or Cal City or Reno Stead. At any of those places he would have had a better area for test flying, and established pools of composites and aero engineering expertise.

cheapracer

Log Member
Justin and Elliot are heading home. No flight this week. Apparently, they don’t want to do the test flight out of here (KCNI) because there are no good options if there is a big problem right after takeoff.....
As a number of us predicted.

The weight and rotation speed were obviously not suitable for that strip.

I just don't understand why Peter ....
Good summary of the project right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.