Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

narfi

Log Member
But, 575 has a speed limit! 🚓
91.3(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

Reactions: BJC

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
91.3(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.
😆

Unfortunately speed limits are state regulations far afield of Title 14 CFR, not to mention §91.

TFF

I watched Elliot’s last S-51 video, and he seemed pretty professional. The in your face To face needs relaxed but overall seems like a value.

pictsidhe

Banned
Elliot seems like a professional pilot. His video editing skills, however, are truly abysmal. I don't want to watch another one...
He should do a skill exchange with Peter.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The GPS groundspeed was reading 87Kts.
The airspeed was mid 70’s, I think he said.
Could have been less with more angle of attack.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
The GPS groundspeed was reading 87Kts.
The airspeed was mid 70’s, I think he said.
Could have been less with more angle of attack.
He doesn't have the prop clearance for much more AOA. His prop is too long, his gear is too short, or it is located too far forward.

The first person to get slow on final and drop it in with a medium/high AOA is gonna wreck the prop and probably the rest of the drivetrain too.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
He doesn't have the prop clearance for much more AOA
Agree. But clearance is easily fixed on version two.
Fixing the weight problem is a bigger problem. I don't know what stall speed is expected in this market?
A desire for lower stall speed would suggest a big change to conventional tail and double slotted flaps:fear:. A high speed aircraft really needs effective flaps.

Malish

He doesn't have the prop clearance for much more AOA. His prop is too long, his gear is too short, or it is located too far forward.

The first person to get slow on final and drop it in with a medium/high AOA is gonna wreck the prop and probably the rest of the drivetrain too.
Prescott Pusher(KIT aircraft) had pusher configuration, but propeller had smaller diameter and airplane still had limited AOA for takeoff and landing - hi TO and landing speed.
And because of propeller clearance(they couldn't move it more back) stabilizator was placed to close to main wing(short arm). Because of that airplane was very unstable in the pitch and because of that kit didn't sell well. I think Raptor has same problems - limited AOA for TO and landings and canard has to short distance from main wing(short nose), Velocity has longer nose.
Prescott-Pusher1.jpg
1757811.jpg
662_RaptorPlanView.jpg

TFF

I just watched Elliot’s Lancair video and he left an Easter Egg to the Raptor. He spent a moment discussing the difference of effort for something common like an RV or the Lancair and a prototype. Made the case and that it’s not Kick the Tires, Light the Fires. Prototype will be tested to satisfaction to each step. I expect lots of taxi tests and continuation to next day if not three and four days to get a couple of flights. He was pretty much making a case of here is the process that will be followed.

flywheel1935

Ok guys on this occasion I will ask a sensible question, If the wheels stop rotating at 'lift-off' so quickly then surely his brakes are dragging ?
Also the flex in the gear leg in the slow-mo looks bad. A heavy landing could prove expensive
Latest YT video, yes the brakes were dragging, so now new pads and discs. just surprised he never noticed/checked yonks ago. Spent more time on the A/C than the airframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.