Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik-

Justin and Elliot are heading home. No flight this week. Apparently, they don’t want to do the test flight out of here (KCNI) because there are no good options if there is a big problem right after takeoff.....
Why do I get the feeling that they do not want to do this job?

The airport, the scenery, the terrain, the plane and so on have not changed and were known both before their first visit as well as their second visit and nothing changed with their 3rd visit.

It's like the guy who changes everything about himself and the girl keeps saying no regardless.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter

The airport, the scenery, the terrain, the plane and so on have not changed and were known both before their first visit as well as their second visit and nothing changed with their 3rd visit.

It's like the guy who changes everything about himself and the girl keeps saying no regardless.
Maybe it looked doable at first, but as they peeled away layers of the onion it got worse and worse.

Victor Bravo

Even if they went to somewhere that's surrounded by farm fields with waist-high crops, the airplane has a reasonable chance of being able to land right side up with no physical harm to the pilot(s).

But from a purely safety-first perspective, I'd say this is a poster child for being test flown off of a large dry lake bed. We have several good candidates out here in CA of course, most of which are open to civilians. El Mirage dry lake is known to many many people, and has been the site of many test flights. But we have many others (I've visited many of them, even some of the remote ones nobody's heard of. I can guarantee the Raptor team that they can have all the privacy they desire out at beautiful Broadwell Lake :) ).

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter

The airport, the scenery, the terrain, the plane and so on have not changed and were known both before their first visit as well as their second visit and nothing changed with their 3rd visit...
My suspicion is that they have now collected enough acceleration data so that they finally have a good idea where on the runway the airplane will unstick, and what it's climbout angle would be.

There's actually a pretty neat trick for this you can do conceptually with a pendulum, assuming you know what the takeoff speed is. Consider a pendulum suspended in the cockpit, with some sort of magic damper to smooth out oscillations. Now accelerate your airplane at full power down the runway. At the point where you reach the takeoff speed, the displacement of the pendulum from vertical due to acceleration describes the climbout angle at that speed.

Of course, you don't need a real pendulum for this. You can do it with an accelerometer and trig just as easy.

Anyhow, I think that they now have that data, and that it does not paint a pretty picture. Just my guess.

...It's like the guy who changes everything about himself and the girl keeps saying no regardless...
The smart girl knows that everything could change back in an instant.

Last edited:

flywheel1935

If I recall correctly I suggested to PM, via his YT channel that Mojave could be considered, I guess that after the shock/disappointment/etc that he may well have to consider another crowdfunding exercise, to ship out the CA ??? ( better safe than sorry) for all concerned.

TFF

I never thought that the airport was long enough for a problem. There is a Lear 35 at my airport, 3800 ft. He has to be down on the numbers. I think most insurance on jets require 4000 ft to be covered. It’s just a convenient airport for business. I watched a Defiant go around three times; he wasn’t use to shortish runways.
The thing to consider is on the East side of the county, no one understands openness of El Mirage, Mojave, or BLM. It’s popular culture movie stuff in the East. . Public open land does not exist in any large form Texas Eastward. Unless you are close to a ex military base open to the public, you are not going to get more than 6000 ft of runway East of the Dallas. Probably more like 3500. It’s not arbitrary he picked his airport, he probably lives 10 minutes away and the hangar was available reasonably. Aerospace town and generally a nice place to live.

Someone building a “production “ airplane should have built in options like moving the plane, but I do have to put in that the Wasabi guys do live in a charmed area for test flights. They were confronted with the East infrastructure. I bet that plays a part in their future decision making. For Raptor, trucking it to California and a hangar and apartment to deal with the airplane out there is probably a $30,000 endeavor just to get a test flight. Hopefully the Wasabi guys told Raptor minimums so it doesn’t get moved to another unacceptable airport.

Wild Bill

I’ve always thought that the runway at Kinston NC would make a good location for a test flight.
It’s public use, and has some fields around it. But most important, it’s huge at 11,500 ft in length.
Don’t know about hangar availability, etc..

pictsidhe

My suspicion is that they have now collected enough acceleration data so that they finally have a good idea where on the runway the airplane will unstick, and what it's climbout angle would be.

There's actually a pretty neat trick for this you can do conceptually with a pendulum, assuming you know what the takeoff speed is. Consider a pendulum suspended in the cockpit, with some sort of magic damper to smooth out oscillations. Now accelerate your airplane at full power down the runway. At the point where you reach the takeoff speed, the displacement of the pendulum from vertical due to acceleration describes the climbout angle at that speed.

Of course, you don't need a real pendulum for this. You can do it with an accelerometer and trig just as easy.

Anyhow, I think that they now have that data, and that it does not paint a pretty picture. Just my guess.

The smart girl knows that everything could change back in an instant.
With the ASI reading low now he has a better bungee on the front hatch, the numbers will look even worse.

I have KHRP earmarked for my test flights. It is very quiet and has a 5000' runway. Even better, it is fields for over a mile off the end of 26. Then a set of power lines and you'd need to pick a spot after that. Don't know if that would be enough for Peter's little porker, though...

Victor Bravo

Well, if I want to be a white collar criminal and buy/sell huge corporations, I have to be on Wall Street. If I want to be a blues singer I have to move to Chicago or Mississippi (and change color). If I want to be a world class manufacturer of sailplanes I have to move to Germany. I'm pretty sure history will bear out that if you want to build and test funky-ass canards that everybody thinks are weird... you got's to go to Mo-jivey :)

TarDevil

Still, this is Wasabi's business and I'm struggling to believe they couldn't do the math about acceleration/runway length/surrounding terrain. I kinda feel for Peter here. MANY cautioned Peter about runway length long ago, Wasabi couldn't do do a TLAR like the rest of us?

I'm sure I'm missing something. I hope I am, because I always figured Justin and Elliot as stand-up guys and this has a smell to it.

TFF

I have a feeling from watching the general Wasabi videos, that Raptor is not listening to the cues. Most people get the hint. I have a feeling it’s him pressuring them to fly from there, and every time they check, it comes out short and they tell him. My money says they will not come back without a major change. If he could leave 500 lbs on the ground, they might reconsider.

Rod Schneider

Ball Ground, GA. About 40 miles north of Atlanta
This is pure speculation on my part, but the previous times Justin and Elliot were here, they arrived via commercial air lines and drove up to the airport. On this trip, they flew in with a PA30 directly to Cherokee. Part of yesterday was spent with them flying around the airport area looking at the terrain. Seeing the drop offs at each end of the runway in person can be eye opening! Google Earth doesn't really do it justice. Same for the surrounding area with hills and trees. They also did several taxi runs. I have a feeling that having done these runs and getting a good look at the surrounding area may have been cause for concern.......

rbarnes

KLBX would be perfect

Test pilot Peter up next..... I cant watch....

Last edited:

Deuelly

Log Member
I have a feeling the next video will have Peter accusing certain people of wasting his time. He'll then go on about how hes already had the plane off the ground, and he's more than qualified to fly it.
The edge of the rabbit hole is very slippery.
13eg6t.jpg

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.