Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aircar

Banned
That last one (metal reverse stagger bipe )is that "Sorceress" ? On the subject of Spitfire replicas there is an Australian company building kits at some scale --in Queensland which is a long way north of me but the start of the business was a project that was abandoned part way built by a local firm . Reginald Mitchell designed quite a few aircraft that didn't look too nice including the Supermarine Walrus flying boat that apparently had the distinction of being the only RAF aircraft approved for outside loops (so much drag that it didn't overspeed but why you would even want to do such a thing is baffling. ) I agree that the Caproni jet trainer is beautiful but not as nice looking as the CA21 sailplane in my ,glider biased, opinion.

Lucrum

Log Member

litespeed

That last one (metal reverse stagger bipe )is that "Sorceress" ? On the subject of Spitfire replicas there is an Australian company building kits at some scale --in Queensland which is a long way north of me but the start of the business was a project that was abandoned part way built by a local firm . Reginald Mitchell designed quite a few aircraft that didn't look too nice including the Supermarine Walrus flying boat that apparently had the distinction of being the only RAF aircraft approved for outside loops (so much drag that it didn't overspeed but why you would even want to do such a thing is baffling. ) I agree that the Caproni jet trainer is beautiful but not as nice looking as the CA21 sailplane in my ,glider biased, opinion.

Supermarine have moved from Australia to Texas to be closer to the market and take advantage of the lower costs in the US.
They now have a new factory of 10,000 square feet.
Very nice replicas

Detego

Ever since I was a child of 8, I've had a picture of the de Havilland dh 89, Dragon Rapide. This plane always amazed me on how they managed to get the Weight & Balance right, with those massive engines, landing gear and the Pilot so far forward. I'm now retired at 50, and the looks of this plane still amazes me.

Detego

de havilland dh89_Dragon Rapide.jpg

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the second most beautiful aircraft of all time.
Quite possibly the largest noise I have ever heard at an airshow. Came by gear, flaps, wings at full forward position, slow as it could go. Then it hit mid field at the crowd separation distance (500ft) lit the burners, rotated to vertical and did a ballistic climb. It hovered on the thrust for a while. Shook the entire county in our little airfield in Burlington, VT. The second loudest noise I ever heard was a squadron of 105's. Third was a squadron of Marine Harriers. That was silly and disorienting :)

RFloyd90

Not many jets that I consider "beautiful" as my passion is more in with the vintage aircraft (I'm particularly fond of propeller noise :)) but there are a few....

F-111 is always the first that comes to mind for some reason...

f111c_05_large.jpg

But it's planes like the DH Comet and the Dragon Rapide, and the Chilton monoplane

DW1.jpg

But truthfully, in my opinion, there is no such thing as an ugly airplane..... to me, the most beautiful one will be the next one I climb into!

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Homebuilt Canards only being considered, what do you think of this? My own design and scratchbuilt Orion, largest of all homebuilt canards
Very nice. I like the color scheme.

Falco have such fine, great lines and overall great design that it need a picture here
Agreed!

Ever since I was a child of 8, I've had a picture of the de Havilland dh 89, Dragon Rapide. This plane always amazed me on how they managed to get the Weight & Balance right, with those massive engines, landing gear and the Pilot so far forward. I'm now retired at 50, and the looks of this plane still amazes me.
Agreed. I've always thought that it's got an air of peculiar dignity and 'mystery' (not sure if that's the right work). It looks like something you'd see used in one of those classic film noir detective movies to haul the shadowy boss figure around like a 1930s bizjet only much better looking.

ultralajt

I cant decide which one is by my opinion the most beautiful.... for me, each era in the aviation brings out couple of very nice, let say beautiful designs.
I can count a dozent of them...
That is why I cant say: "this one is the most beautiful".
I will show some of my favorite planes.. later

Mitja

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still having trouble deciding between the Concorde and M. Bleriot's masterpiece -
I never thought of the Bleriot as beautiful, but there were others during that era like this 1910 Hanriot...

[video=youtube;DAyIh1SUOWk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAyIh1SUOWk[/video]

Seeing that fly at Old Rhinebeck made my whole day.
-Dana

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Last edited by a moderator: