Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rdj

Military Corsairs are absolutely beautiful. To this day, the only art contest I have won involved a drawing of a Corsair and I contend that it was the subject matter and not my "skill" as an artist that won me the award.

Hands down, although I have always had a particular fondness for F-4 Phantoms. This is simply due to the squadron of them that used to fly over my childhood home. I have two things I regularly blame for my addiction to aircraft. The first is Burt Rutan (and I have told him this) and the second is the cadre of F-4 pilots from the 181st Tactical Fighter Squadron from the mid-1980s. The fact that Rutan had a lot to do with working the bugs out of the F-4 does not escape me either.
I agree. It's our childhood loves that bring back the fondest memories :smile:

I've always had a soft spot for F7F Tigercats, because there was (and still is) a Department of Forestry Air Tanker base at my local airport, and a number of F7F's--with retardant drop tanks--used to be based there. Every summer in my youth (mid 60's to mid '70s) these planes would fly at treetop level over my house on a regular basis on their way to a fire. There ain't nothing like the roar of twin 2100HP Pratt & Whitney's up close:
aec00749.jpg

During particularly large fires, B-17's, B-24's, and other at-that-time surplus aircraft that had been converted to drop retardant joined the fire fight. A number of us local kids would spend most of the day at the airport watching them land, reload with retardant, and stagger back into the air off the too-short runway. The wheels would leave the ground just about the time the pavement ran out. D**m those pilots were good. The CDF air tanker base is still there, and a couple of S-2 Air Tankers and an OV-10 Bronco spotter are based there now.

Better still, that airport (KGOO) is only about 25 miles from Beale AFB, the home base of the SR-71 and the U-2, long ago. Highway 20 runs just north of the Beale runway, and I drove it often as a young college student. I remember numerous occasions when I'd spot one on final and modulate my speed (not much traffic on that road back then) so it would pass a hundred feet or so over my motorcycle. God that plane was gorgeous; even more so in the air:
SR71.jpg

It's clear to me that my lifelong struggle with an aviation addiction is due to being exposed to such things at too tender an age.

Last edited:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice looks. I know it's a racing plane but I wonder about its rudder authority... maybe racers can always land into wind??
It was a dedicated reno racer. That means it is treated like a Thoroughbred. Those things are such spare designs. The Push Kat was I think the first one to push the envelope of what two fixed wheels means... It had a retract nose wheel. Some cried fowl but it was faaaaast. Could have been faster if the engine was gotten out farther behind the wing I think. The original had a shrouded prop and the rudder and elevator were just movable parts of the duct trailing edge. Talk about minimalist.

Detego

Oh yeah, and notice the tiny canard on this later version. CG issues? :)

A more Gentlemanly version of the Pushy, with tip or inboard rudders; would make for a fast single place commuter (one hour legs @ 4 gallon per hour fuel). Capable of short field operations (< 1000). 220mph with 100hp Turbo engine.

I'm thinking to get the slow stall speeds we'll need a design like yours Jay.

Attachments

Last edited: