Modern day "motorcycle of the air" aircraft class?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by cluttonfred, Oct 3, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 6, 2015 #101

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

I could swear he's making them bigger each time. I didn't even notice them in the original. Anyway, good choice of color on the safety thingy.

bmcj likes this.
  2. Oct 6, 2015 #102

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

After some adjustments.

Pilot was lowered and reclined a lot, backrest, windscreen, and roll bar added, nose was shortened and lowered to engine height. It can still look good if the seat back and roll bar are NOT the same color as, or part of, the body, black is best. As we used to say in the sheet metal business: "Flat black paint hides a multitude of defects". Chord on Horizontal tail should be less. Excellent foot warmer.

As Dana brought up the need for speed, I myself would not want to limit this to a low takeoff speed or limited power, I like moderate better. Those could be rules in a racing class.

Attached Files:

3. Oct 6, 2015 #103

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

But really, you've got a P51 wing there, that swept tail is nasty for that wing, don't you think it should have P51 tail too? It could still be an H tail, and trade the camel hump for a roll bar and you've got a weener*sp (spanish accent). .

4. Oct 6, 2015 #104

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

If you had something like a 150 - 180 hp engine and smaller wings, considering how light it would be, it should have good acceleration.

Also, if you had an effective windscreen and fairing for legs/body, a helmet, and HEARING PROTECTION then how fast do you think it would be tolerable? it seems to me you could go over 150 mph, maybe 200 in a dive.

5. Oct 6, 2015 #105

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Nope, any such things go on one of the other forums I frequent. I'm not the original artist of this pic anyhow. I've just been tweaking it in Paintshop into a functional form.
    If I was gonna "inflate" anything it would be the wing camber so we can get by with less span and a nice low landing speed.

6. Oct 6, 2015 #106

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

I was just joking, I wanted to see how many would go back and check, you shouldn't have given it away :)

7. Oct 6, 2015 #107

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Well, most of the tractor designs presented so far are not really that well 'streamlined' so the losses would be marginal... Bear in mind that a superbike has an 'open cockpit' yet the aerodynamics are so well thought that the drag is reduced to a minimum. Physics don't care if it is a tractor or pusher bit rather is the design is well engineered or not. Thus it all comes down to design and how you want your aircraft to look, you can neglect the losses because with an open canopy there will be plenty of them any way you position the propeller.

Well, doesn't this design remind of the Cri Cri with a large single engine on the nose and a tail in the prop wake..? :)

How about Cri Cri's performance as a criteria..? It is around 80kg heavy and flies at around 300km/h top speed, moderately acrobatic... :)

8. Oct 6, 2015 #108

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

But I do have the absolutely best possible advertising slogan for it, based on the fact that the pilot is wearing a Mae West... "Come on up in the sky and see me sometime" !

What are the chances that a famous line out of an 80 year old movie would be the killer advertising slogan for a modern aerial motorcycle ?!?

bmcj and BJC like this.
  9. Oct 6, 2015 #109

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Why not ask the guys to insert it into the picture and see how it fits..? :D

9b27fc4b9b6bd3b9779b88bc8a15ed75.jpg

10. Oct 6, 2015 #110

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

It's not the overall drag I'm concerned with, it's hurting the amount of thrust we get from the prop.

11. Oct 6, 2015 #111

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

Ouch - see the point where the tail strakes blend into the fuse? Talk about a strain concentration.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    DangerZone and cluttonfred like this.
  12. Oct 6, 2015 #112

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Are we talking about the cartoon plane or the cartoon girl? ;-)

13. Oct 6, 2015 #113

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

How about, "Is that a joystick in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

DangerZone likes this.
  14. Oct 6, 2015 #114

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

The Butterfly Mignet-style ultrailght might be a good place to start for inspiration.

06ulm-mag-1983-butterfly.jpg

And the APEV (Dalby) Cubchel would be worth a look as well.

39094d1427193013-apev-designs-daniel-dalby-cubchel.jpg

15. Oct 6, 2015 #115

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

We seem to be straying from the motorcycle discussion....

Oh, wait, it just occurred to me that all of the car and motorcycle shows and magazines are always adorned with scantily clad bathing suited girls... CARRY ON.

(Maybe that's what we need to save aviation! :gig:)

DangerZone likes this.
  16. Oct 7, 2015 #116

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Why, yes it does. Maybe you would be able to feel the throbbing in the joystick? I had a choice between an H. tail in the prop wake or a V. tail blanketed by the pilot, and chose the prior. Having the tail in the prop wake has happened to better planes than mine ... so i don't see the problem ... other than the aforementioned throbbing.

The cri cri has a streamlined canopy so a single Vert tail works for it. I wonder how much performance it would sacrifice if you flew a cri cri without the canopy?

Alternately, you could stick a cri cri like canopy on my cartoon, but then would it still be a cycle of the aire? ... no

17. Oct 7, 2015 #117

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

This should save it. Giselle Bundchen.

Attached Files:

18. Oct 7, 2015 #118

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Another thing that comes to mind is concerning the power requirement. This isn't an airliner thats going to fly 16 hrs a day all year, or even a cross country plane that needs to fly long distances at high power, so you don't need a super reliable boat anchor. Most of the time you would be flying at lower speeds due to the wind exposure, but then once in a while you can go zooming up the side of a mountain with your Hayabusa engine; cruising most of the time at around 50 hp, you can go to 160 hp for short bursts of vertical flight or for drag racing. The Hayabusa engine isn't that unreliable at all anyway if you use it moderately most of the time.

19. Oct 7, 2015 #119

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

This is an extremely sexy design. And the girl's not bad either...

Duncan

20. Oct 7, 2015 #120

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

43828d1444168861-modern-day-motorcycle-air-aircraft-class-39094d1427193013-apev-designs-daniel-d.jpg

This is a great little plane. I particularly like the larger gauge structure, which gets rid of all the fiddly pieces so common in metal planes. In fact, one might well be able to build this one out of CF tubes bonded together. That would be a great boon to someone like myself who can't weld for toffee, but can handle a tin of epoxy quite well. And wouldn't all that exposed CF look cool?

And it's got the whole motorcycle thing going...

I like.

Duncan