Modern day "motorcycle of the air" aircraft class?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by cluttonfred, Oct 3, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 7, 2015 #141

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

You're right - we like to dream. And throwing ideas around is cheap, quick and fun. Building takes years. Building thought planes takes mere minutes. What's not to like? Besides, some of the ideas may spark something in someone's mind, and be the beginning of a real-world design.

Duncan

RPM314, Sockmonkey and DangerZone like this.
  2. Oct 7, 2015 #142

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

In fact if someone was to make a front engine version it might be good marketing to just make the back end, or the whole thing, 'naked' with the single tube frame and recommend custom or aftermarket fiberglass tail cones and fairings so people could get creative with the looks (within specified limits), or the manufacturer can offer a selection. That way its cheeep to start and you can add on style and utility or keep it naked.

For the harness arrangement you would need the shoulder and chest belts, like suspenders, connected to the waist belt and the vehicle seat frame at two point, one on each side. That way a person could lean forward or back or sit up straight. For reclining position with a seat back then standard belts of course.

3. Oct 7, 2015 #143

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I've gone over the bars on a motorcycle plenty of times and I would not want to do that in a flying machine. I'll be seated supine and strapped into anything I fly. With that, the Airbike, Breezy or any number of the "aluminum pole" ultralights would satisfy any need I have for the sensation of flight without seeing any structure around you.

4. Oct 7, 2015 #144

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

OK, you talked me into it, our out of it. I've noticed plenty of planes have the vertical tail in the pilot's turbulence and it seems to work OK. that then allows a T tail.

That was mainly a look see and a styling exercise. The twin booms and close in tail are an absolute necessity in order to make it look like a Banshee from the movie Avatar.

I've tried the idea of a single boom going under or over the prop, and just cant make it look good enough because it gives the fuselage such a big fat and abrupt ending in back (but I'll try it some more). I like maximum compactness and this vehicle type is the ideal avenue for that, with the 'vehicle' being hardly any higher in profile than the wing. Thats the problem with enclosing the pilot on a short little airplane with a front engine, it gives them the pregnant guppy look in a bad way, and a cri cri style canopy is the only, slightly acceptable, solution to that styling nightmare.

I do prefer the idea of using a good motorcycle style fairing, and that hover bike video shows a good looking idea

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. Oct 7, 2015 #145

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

I rode a bike for 10 years and flew an Airbike several hundred hours. The Airbike is a flying motorcycle!

6. Oct 7, 2015 #146

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Strapped in

Attached Files:

DangerZone likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2015 #147

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Nice work. Now it might be wise to do something about the space behind the pilot's head to reduce drag slightly. Race riders have a 'hump' on their suit to allow smoother airflow at speeds over 300km/h. It is something like this:
    Latigo1pcWhtRedBlk-SpdBmp8_zoom.jpg

On a bike, this allows immense drag reduction at higher speeds in a crouched position.
    moto-competizione-3.jpg

Even formula racers have the same thing to reduce drag:
    37811458-formula-car-racing-school.jpg

Thus if you would want to reduce drag then it might be wise to make such a smotther transition behind the pilot's head/helmet. I would also recommned to rise the prop to have a better 'bite of air' and move it aft so the prop would not spray centrifugal waste air too much over the tail surfaces. This should allow you to draw two versions, one with twin booms and the other one with tail surface protruding directly from the fuselage/empenage. You could also see if such an arrangement would allow positioning the rear wheels on the bottom of tail surfaces.

Bear in mind that a fuselage does not have to be only round. It can be flattened vertically and horizontally. If you would want the tail surfaces to protrude out of the fuselage directly you could always flatten it vertically and get the tail attached to the lower part. This would contribute even more to an 'Avatar' kind of look.

What program are you using for these drawings? It seems it allows you quite a reasonable amount of expression so keep up the good work. :)

8. Oct 7, 2015 #148

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Gotta throw in another one.
    [​IMG]

Tiger Tim and spduffee like this.
  9. Oct 7, 2015 #149

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Interesting that you post a drawing of a tandem just now, more magic. This represents a Quikie style plane with about 80 - 90% of the weight on the front wing, the center of lift of which is a little ahead of the center of gravity. This gives it full span slotted high lift flaps for minimum main wing size, including that the rear wing is lifting instead of pushing down also lightens the load on the main/front wing.

The rear wing being in the influence of the front wing is NOT a problem too much, because with flap deflection it will cause the rear end to go down, which is what you want anyway, right? Plus the front wing has some dihedral and the rear wing has anhedral, with tailwheels, allowing it to have a single front/main retractable wheel.

I use a thirty year old Appleworks program to make these drawings on my mac mini

Attached Files:

10. Oct 7, 2015 #150

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Not bad eh?

Attached Files:

11. Oct 7, 2015 #151

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

If something should be sold or built or both, complicated forms hinder rather such an idea.

12. Oct 7, 2015 #152

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Not bad. :)

You could use the airfoil for better aerodynamic of the space behind the pilot's helmet, maybe something like this..?

Banshee.boom1.jpg

You could also make it an amphibian for those who prefer to stay light and ditch the landing gear. It would also be wise to consult some experts so the aircraft would not stick to water like in the FlyNano case. ;)

13. Oct 7, 2015 #153

BJC

BJC

BJC

DZ:

You may want to make a quick edit / deletion.

BJC

14. Oct 7, 2015 #154

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Why? She's only supporting the structure... :D

15. Oct 7, 2015 #155

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Now there's a healthy one !! Yes, that does look good.

To be an amphib it needs a step.

You see, in here there's room for a TIO-720 or a turbo Corvette L7 ... and a canopy

Attached Files:

16. Oct 7, 2015 #156

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

There's more ways to lift a body from the water surface; steps, foils, all moving wing, dynamic air bubbles, etc. All somene has to do is decide how expensive a method can he/she afford.

A TIO-720 would be too heavy, and one could do wonders with a less powerful (100HP to 200HP) motorcycle engine.

17. Oct 7, 2015 #157

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

You know what, I've bit my cheek and went tsk tsk in the past, but I'm sick of seeing all this misogyny in aviation. Of course it's a small minority of members doing it, but putting women in the same category as a machine that you own for no good reason has no place in this day and age. Post that in Playboy if you must, but we build aircraft here.

*end rant*

If you want it to fly off water it would be a good idea to keep the horizontal stab in the propwash, and moving the tail boom up along with it would create an opportunity to put a step in the hull/fuse. Then maybe extent the vertical stabs down with small auxiliary floats at their tips to prevent tipback.

18. Oct 7, 2015 #158

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

glider1.jpg download.jpg

Whatever do you mean?

Frankly I think we're moving away from the Banshee concept and onto an inverted scarechair.

LuPi

RPM314 likes this.
  19. Oct 7, 2015 #159

BJC

BJC

BJC

That is very explanatory.

BJC

WonderousMountain likes this.
  20. Oct 7, 2015 #160

FritzW

FritzW