Quantcast

Lowest cost AHRS EFIS/6 pack replacement?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lelievre12

HBA Supporter
I keep hearing about tablets overheating and it is always in reference to iPads. I have never had any of my android tablets overheat. Is it it just an iPad thing?
I use an IPad for IFR plates and situational awareness. If it is is full sun it will shutdown due to overheat everytime. The sun simply makes it too hot. Of course this has happened on IFR final more than once so now I am very careful about the temp of my iPad before I shoot an approach. Losing your plate and going VFR at the IAF is more than annoying. Its downright dangerous. The only 'saving' grace is that if I was actually in IMC on approach then the iPad would probably work fine as in cloud there is no sun!.

I used to have the old iPad 'Air' and it never shutdown. However my newer Ipad pro (circa 2015) overtemps a lot. I assume the internals of the 'Pro' are more heat generating than the 'Air'. Larger processor etc?

Yellowhammer

I am torn between what system I want to use for my build. I like the GRT system, the AV-30, and the a few others. However, I feel like I can use an I pad along with some steam gauges to achieve my goal.

I need to have GPS, ADSB, and AHRS. Any suggestion on the best system to use for the I Pad and I will certainly appreciate you opinions. I am also going to use the transceiver that has the small panel control with the box placed in the rear due to very limited space available on my panel.

Thank you in advance for your input gentleman!

Yellowhammer

rv7charlie

I can't offer any insight on IFR, but on the hardware front, I've had dealings with GRT, Dynon, and AFS (now owned by Dynon). GRT & AFS support is way past superb. Dynon...not so much, in my personal experience. If it's one of their obsolete products, they won't even talk to you.

For ADSB-out, GRT partners with uAvionics (owners of the AV-30) for their Echo UAT transceiver (will require a separate Mode C transponder).

These guys make remote comm & nav/approach receivers that can be controlled by AFS or GRT EFISs.

You still need an IFR-approved GPS navigator, to legally fly GPS approaches. However, do a little digging on the GRT stuff, with someone who knows their systems......

Charlie

Yellowhammer

I can't offer any insight on IFR, but on the hardware front, I've had dealings with GRT, Dynon, and AFS (now owned by Dynon). GRT & AFS support is way past superb. Dynon...not so much, in my personal experience. If it's one of their obsolete products, they won't even talk to you.

For ADSB-out, GRT partners with uAvionics (owners of the AV-30) for their Echo UAT transceiver (will require a separate Mode C transponder).

These guys make remote comm & nav/approach receivers that can be controlled by AFS or GRT EFISs.

You still need an IFR-approved GPS navigator, to legally fly GPS approaches. However, do a little digging on the GRT stuff, with someone who knows their systems......

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, advice, and opinion on the configurations you mentioned. I have a good friend who is currently operating the GRT system . I will pay him a visit to discuss.

Thanks again sir.

Yellowhammer

Rik-

What you are wanting is something that is bucking the system.

I learned to fly in plane equipped with a Garmin G3X Touch Display. Amazing panel as it controls the AP, the Nav, the Coms, displays the engine data, and so on and so on.

Due to the fact that I am looking at plane at the moment that has virtually ZIP for dash, an ASI and some old ass Garmin 196 (which the seller is in love with) I have been searching for something to put in this plane if I deem myself mentally incompetent at some point soon.

How what we want is bucking the system is that there is ABSOLUTEY no reason that we need to (in 2020) purchase a transponder, a radio, an auto pilot nor a compass.

The Garmin G3X (for example) can control each of those functions within itself. The problem for Joe consumer is that Garmin and the others here all make a profit by selling you these items ala carte. Thus, they have zero or negative incentive to combine these items into a singular unit.

Now, GRT can control your AP and the same can be said for the new Michigan Avionics panel. Does that mean one can fully eliminate or just not purchase an AP but connect the servo’s to the panel?

To me, the Michigan Avionics iEFIS Lite Touchscreen seems like a great price and it incudes a lot of the ala carte items that make the others add up to a fortune. However, it’s above your $1,500.00 budget

Now, I understand the problems with the IPad, but you can make a sunk in mount for one in your dash which basically would make it sit in a dark hole and then add a fan to keep it cool and voila there you have it, day lite readable display. I run into this issue on boat dashes but in the enclosed cockpit it’s not difficult to overcome.

Last edited:

Daleandee

For the money you might look at an iFly 740b. They are having a sale this Friday:

Brightly lit screen, no overheating and shutting off, ADSB in for traffic and weather, will drive an autopilot, etc., ...

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Keep an eye on the Talos Avionics web site and FB page as we get to the holidays. They already have a 25% off Black Friday sale going and, as I remember it, at least one year they had a ***50% off*** sale on Boxing Day (the day after Xmas). That's $600 right now for their basic model (AHRS, pitot-static ASI/ALT/VSI, OAT, GPS, and wired USB connection to tablet) and $400 if it drops to 50%. Add a $100 Android tablet and you're all set.

Last edited:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
For the money you might look at an iFly 740b. They are having a sale this Friday:

Brightly lit screen, no overheating and shutting off, ADSB in for traffic and weather, will drive an autopilot, etc., ...
What are the downsides of that unit? I have one of their Porsche diag scanners. They have been around a long time and are a very reputable company.

Daleandee

It seems like an excellent choice for an aviation GPS, but it does not include AHRS or pitot-static inputs, so not quite EFIS functionality.
Well ... you could always "Wingbug" but they like money up front, and yearly:

PS: Seems that the iFly 740b unit does have a provision for AHRS but I've not looked into it.

The Skylab FLybox gives you engine monitoring too. David Cooper at Team Minimax is the US rep, SkyLab Flybox Android based EFIS
high value as it comes with all sensors for under $800 + add your own tablet.

That said the Avmap AVMAP ULTRA - EFIS | Aircraft Spruce is worth of consideration and the have a package with the Enginebox too almost 3x the skylab price and you still have to buy sensors for the engine but it does come with a Magnetic Reference.

Last edited:

PagoBay

Not sure if it fits your budget. Mentioned earlier in this thread.
Levil Technology
and from the same company but more expensive:

Yellowhammer

The Skylab FLybox gives you engine monitoring too. David Cooper at Team Minimax is the US rep, SkyLab Flybox Android based EFIS
high value as it comes with all sensors for under $800 + add your own tablet.

That said the Avmap AVMAP ULTRA - EFIS | Aircraft Spruce is worth of consideration and the have a package with the Enginebox too almost 3x the skylab price and you still have to buy sensors for the engine but it does come with a Magnetic Reference.

The AvMap Package is really attractive considering what all you get.

Thanks for the information sir!

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I would include at least one non TSO Steam ASI along side it in case the volts go absent :)
That's a great role for one of the mechanical lift reserve indicators made from a $50 Dwyer Minihelic II differential pressure gauge, some tubing, and a DIY AOA probe: simple, effective, and completely independent from power and the primary pitot-static lines.

That's a great role for one of the mechanical lift reserve indicators made from a $50 Dwyer Minihelic II differential pressure gauge, some tubing, and a DIY AOA probe: simple, effective, and completely independent from power and the primary pitot-static lines.

How long have you been sitting on this gem?

Daleandee

How long have you been sitting on this gem?
These are better than pockets on a shirt:

These are better than pockets on a shirt:

OK I will fess up the KANARDIA Combo is simply a brilliant $490 (2020) hybrid, Analog ASI reference works with periphery vision while flying outside the window, Digital Altimeter is fine in my book and a bonus VSI to help with setting the level flight trim. This would free up my ASI hole for the HORIS upgrading my classic panel function without new holes in NX237F's panel Eventually my radioactive 1948 altimeter will go and catalyze this ripple affect to completion. All flight instruments have a backup on my MGL EFIS I use primarily as a EMS except when my 1954 ASI steam gauge gave up the gost this summer or I want to set up level flight trim the VSI is handy but hard to see on the right side. I guess I have ventured off topic but the reserve lift back up for $50 and some work is an attractive item if all glass is dependent on the electrical system function. Shirt pocket or sliced bread?

Last edited:

The MGL combo AVS2 $455 (2020) combined with the AHRS-4 $795 (2020) =$1250 for daytime VFR add a compass altitude encoding output available if you plan to add a transponder in the future. Quite convincing. I use the EFIS extream only as a EMS so if starting over I would elect the EMS-2 $455 (2020) and the $200 8 channel RDAC slave to a master warning light to draw your attention to the EMS if needed. "extra eyes". 3 holes + a Magnetic compass and done for daytime VFR. $1905 + compass and engine sensors :) my experience with the MGL EFIS is quite solid!

Last edited: