Lowest cost AHRS EFIS/6 pack replacement?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
It seems that the minimum entry point for a basic EFIS is just at the $3k mark. I honestly don't see the value at this price point.

Are there any sub-$1500 EFIS that just do the basics? Cannot be solely GPS based. Tablet based is fine, r-pi is not.

Daleandee

Are there any sub-$1500 EFIS that just do the basics? Cannot be solely GPS based. Tablet based is fine, r-pi is not.
It's a bit more than you wanted to spend ...

Says here they are $1595.00 - AV-30-E (Experimental) - uAvionix

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
GRT 7” Sport EX $1500. Most upgrades are software “unlocks” and are done without sending the unit back. I’d need the EIS so that will add another $1200 or so.

Basil

HBA Supporter
That looks interesting. Has anyone here flown with one?

BJC
Yes. Airspeed and altimeter good. Horizon good as long as you don't turn for long periods of time (e.g. thermalling in a glider). Navigation functions not bad but a bit fiddly to load your own waypoints. Our isn't great on rate of climb which sometimes takes a while after take off to settle down. Overall it is good value for money. I have also a Horis which has a better horizon but no nav functions and is more expensive.

Reactions: BJC

rv7charlie

There are a couple of ADSB-In boxes that include AHRS plus pitot/static ports (similar to the Talos, above), making them full solution ADAHRS. Wireless connection to a phone/tablet for display/control. With a cheap tablet display, should come in well under $2K.

Ex: Levil Technology
iLevil 3 AW – Levil Aviation

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Thank you to all. I have a few of these EFIS already bookmarked, a few are new. But allow me to rant, if I may?

All of these low cost units seem to include things that are done better via other solutions.

Moving map/GPS, needs to go. Why do they think what they can do is better than Foreflight or FlightQ for VFR?

They do ADSB in, that's nice, but you can get a DIY ADSB-IN unit for less than $150 (it runs off an r-pi, that's the only downside).

ADSB-OUT is not a concern... other units do ADSB-OUT (ie wingtip units).

i-pads are a horrific solution... they overheat and apple EOL's them every 3-4 years. That a cost I don't want to keep paying. Android devices 'last
longer, but seriously, why is no one using an SBC ? The basic sensors are all available as USB devices. I'll break my $1500 budget for a daylight readable display.

I don't want the weight and complexity of a steam gauge panel. I guess the next issue is: what is a good tablet? Ipads are not ideal IMHO. And a 'good' andriod tablet can run $500+ adding to the cost.

PagoBay

Have a look here: Avilution – Avionics for the Future
No detailed information on what hardware they provide. But they integrate and display on screen just about any sensor and data from most ADHRS systems out there, like iLevel for example. The Zenith CH750 was their initial implementation, called the "UnPanel". Doubt this will meet your price point. Cannot find much in the way of actual product implementation. But this is something different and has great flexibility built in.

New production facility due to open in October of this year.

Lots of YouTube videos from a year back. Click here for a very informative look at what they do:

Last edited:

stansusman

This site is becoming a great resource with both the dreamer /idea guys having a place for ideas and questions and also good answers and new awareness of existing and emerging tech, as well as good old fashion common aircraft knowledge.
So my question of the day is this. I'm at Watsonville CA. kind of a sleepy upper central coast airport.
I'm looking for an avionics guy or gal that can travel here and work both on existing items in the panel
and advise on upgrades and install the new stuff. It shouldn't be this hard. Any ideas are way welcome.
I'm an OK nut and bolt guy and talented composite and paint guy. but wiring /not so much
Stan