Lowest cost AHRS EFIS/6 pack replacement?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

Unless it has changed recently, the Gulf of Mexico oil rig helicopter pilots who are all flying IFR glass cockpit capable aircraft bring and use their own old school Garmin black and white portable GPS. Why? They can see them. The companies have the equipment to keep them updated with databases, so the companies recognize what works. Color is pretty.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
That raises an interesting point. Is anyone still making a decent portable aviation GPS with a clear sunlight-readable screen, preferable *not* a touchscreen? Garmin seems to have driven everyone else out of business and then dropped all but their very expensive touchscreen units. Alternatively, has anyone had any luck uploading free aviation navigation data (like the FAA VFR raster charts) to a portable GPS intended for automotive, marine, or outdoor use?

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Google Nexus 7 2013 (2nd gen), Avare EFIS screen, direct sunlight (outside on the pad in front of my hangar which has a bright white door; not in a cockpit with a glare shield), clear sky, 8:30 AM CDT. Only time it's not readable is if you're using it to reflect the sun directly into your eyes, and *any* glass covered instrument, including steam gauges, will act like a mirror and be unreadable when that happens. That's why a/c *have* glare shields over their instrument panels.

This device is seven (7) years old. Any quality Android tablet that's more recent tech will have an even brighter screen. All the bottom end dedicated EFIS screens, even the original Dynon D10 (non-A), which is ~25 year old tech, are readable in direct sunlight. There are about a half dozen entry level aviation EFISs that meet your price point, all of which do better than the Nexus. If you've actually *tried* *any* of the suggestions given, and can't read them, perhaps you need to visit your ophthalmologist. Seriously.

Charlie
Minimum spec for daylight readable is 1000 nits. Almost none of the displays show the specs, but I would think that if you break the 'daylight readable' barrier they would tout it.

Specifically, unless they are 1000+ nits, then try are not considered daylight spec'd. There are reasons why you can 'see' and LCD in bright lights, but even at no-glare angles, the math is pretty simple: the backlight must source MORE light than the surroundings.

Don't confuse contrast with brightness. The brand new Nexus 7 is only 538 nits. Barely half of what you need for what is considered daylight readable.

Hephaestus

Panasonic CF-VDW07

That 20+ yr old external 8" VGA display that's been loved by boaters and rocketeers for decades :)

Just don't expect it to come cheap, nothing that said toughbook ever came cheap.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Imagine yourself fifty years ago, hearing that someday there would be something called "nits" that would be an excuse to keep people from flying.

rdj

Minimum spec for daylight readable is 1000 nits. Almost none of the displays show the specs, but I would think that if you break the 'daylight readable' barrier they would tout it.

Specifically, unless they are 1000+ nits, then try are not considered daylight spec'd. There are reasons why you can 'see' and LCD in bright lights, but even at no-glare angles, the math is pretty simple: the backlight must source MORE light than the surroundings.

Don't confuse contrast with brightness. The brand new Nexus 7 is only 538 nits. Barely half of what you need for what is considered daylight readable.
Or find a transflective display. That way you're not burning out backlights trying to compete with the Sun. Let the Sun do the work. Nits are only important if you're limited to transmissive displays.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I don’t know the nits of my Advanced Flight Systems EFIS, but never have I had a problem seeing or reading the display, even in the Florida sunshine. I do have a high wing and a glare shield.

BJC

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
When my iPad mini overheats I pull out my trusty old Lowrance 1000. The brighter the sun the crisper it gets. I really wish someone would figure out how to install database updates (Or better yet bring back the Lowrance line of aviation GPSs).

Markproa

I keep hearing about tablets overheating and it is always in reference to iPads. I have never had any of my android tablets overheat. Is it it just an iPad thing?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Speaking of tablets and sunlight readability, I am surprised no one is offering a box that will connect to an e-reader like a Kindle. The newest ones can refresh fast enough to play grainy, jerky video and that’s more than good enough for instrument displays. Look at what this guy was doing with an old Kindle and a Raspberry Pi five years ago.

Daleandee

From what I've seen on the net about nits the iPad 2 is about 350 nits & the iPad 3 is 300 nits. But I use an iFly GPS. My first one was the 720 model and I liked it tremendously but it was only 650 nit. My newer iFly 740b has an 1100 nit screen and is very readable. But you cannot replace an EFIS with an iFly. It will read ADSB (traffic & weather) and it's reported that adding an ADHARS chip in my Stratux (Stratux AHRS 2.0) will give me a true attitude indicator (instead of a GPS based one that's near worthless). But even with all that the altitude and airspeed will be GPS based.

But I bring this up to echo the point about needing 1000 nit or more for the screen to be sunlight readable.

Bill-Higdon

When my iPad mini overheats I pull out my trusty old Lowrance 1000. The brighter the sun the crisper it gets. I really wish someone would figure out how to install database updates (Or better yet bring back the Lowrance line of aviation GPSs).
Many years ago I bought a Lowrance handheld that was being discontinued I figured no problem as there was a lot of info on their website. for it. Shortly there after they scrubbed all data from their website. Their reply to inquires for help was "we will give you a discount on a replacement unit".

pfarber

HBA Supporter
My newer iFly 740b has an 1100 nit screen
I just read their website as my Foreflight sub is up in 2 months. I really like their flight planning and routing.

They do spec the the new GPS at over 1000 nits. But whats even MORE interesting is that there is a Windows 10 version? I am definatliy going to try that out. I can put together a hardened SBC with a multiple monitors and for slightly less than a top of the line iPad. And it would have power to spare, and also play movies lol.

So many interesting possibilities.