Flat panel musings

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

autoreply

careful autoreply calling it "American bad styling" when your home country can't even muster up a design or the skills to build a car.
To put some more oil on the fire;

Chief designers of Porsche, BMW, Mini, Rolls Royce, Renault and Ford are all Dutch. Further, the sole remaining Dutch car manufacturer has held the record for the fastest road-legal production car at the Nürburgring for a long time...

Dutch design is one of our bigger selling points here ;-)

SVSUSteve

To put some more oil on the fire;

Chief designers of Porsche, BMW, Mini, Rolls Royce, Renault and Ford are all Dutch. Further, the sole remaining Dutch car manufacturer has held the record for the fastest road-legal production car at the Nürburgring for a long time...

Dutch design is one of our bigger selling points here ;-)
If I want good beer, flood control systems or good aesthetics, Dutch products are among my first choices.

If I want something ugly that will be overpriced and under quality, I buy American. Same goes for if I want a mass market beer that is barely palatable.

TahoeTim

autoreply,
you should take the rose glasses off once in awhile. All the supposed Dutch led manufactures you name are built with an abundance of plastic so your nasty american crap statement should actually be blamed on the Dutch Chief Designers? :)

you're claim, not mine

You can sure stir up dust for a moderator

cheapracer

Log Member
Can we all just agree that at least it's not as bad as a Trabant?
Was a bit toungue in cheek, I actually like the Dafs, brilliant CVT system well ahead of it's time and lots of character.

Is there anything worse than a Trabant?
With a few noteable exceptions, I would take a Trabant over any car made in America "desperate to meet emissions and improve fuel economy while forgetting about styling" from about mid 1970's thru to mid 80's.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I want good beer, flood control systems or good aesthetics, Dutch products are among my first choices.

If I want something ugly that will be overpriced and under quality, I buy American. Same goes for if I want a mass market beer that is barely palatable.
Americans make some of the worst beer in the world (the mass market crap you refer to)... and some of the best beer in the world, too... and it's encouraging to see that the shelf space devoted to the good stuff is now more than the junk.

But back to panel design, though it's not what I would choose, the Icon's is kinda cool... very futuristic, like many new cars. This is nothing new, airplane designers have long tried to make them appeal to the car buying public. My 1941 Taylorcraft had chrome strips on the cowling and door latches that probably came off a Ford of the same year.

Dana

ScaleBirdsScott

I think the appeal going forward is in something less BMW circa 2004, and more Oblivion starring Tom Cruise.

Good Art and Design comes from all over, and while the US is lousy with wannabe hack frauds, I would put the us's best against anyone else as a fair match. Meanwhile some of the greatest designs come from a European heritage regardless of where the execution of the idea took place, so I would hesitate to start considering the Dutch or Germans or Swedes or whomever as inferior sources of inspired design based on what strictly national output has been. Car design is lousy with the corruption of committee and conservatism mixed with fashionista dousing rod quackery. It's surprising that every once in a wile something falls out that looks worth a ****.

Midniteoyl

I'll let you know, ours arrives soon - against my protests. We do have the wall charger, came with the deposit.

It's for the Daughter, she chose it, lipstick environmentilist, you know the type; "saves the world" while shampooing her hair for half an hour in the shower, heater on all night, drives an hour away to the big smoke to buy yet another pair of shoes then yells at you if you forget the hessian shopping bag and have to use a plastic one from the supermarket, etc etc ....
We have a meeting place in the US:

ct-whole-foods-overcharging-nyc-customers-20151229.jpg

TFF

US FWD econo cars are crap. We have to have crap cars to feed the masses. BMW and Mercedes both make about 1.5 million cars world wide a year, each. If the US bought all of them, the US market would still have to come up with 14 million cars a year. Ford builds 1 million pickup trucks a year ,every year, just for the US. If the US bought every Toyota made world wide, the US would still have to buy more than half of all the VWs made world wide to cover sales.