experiamental fighter jet style aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Head in the clouds

And these might give you some inspiration - https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/aircraft-design-aerodynamics-new-technology/5088-flying-wing-questions-2.html#post134800

Also see post nos 16 and 20. No 16 shows a delta that our dear and sadly recently departed resident genius Orion (Bill Husa) was working on.

You mentioned CAD, well that's something you really need to get into asap, it's much easier for folks to work with you if you show them some images of where you're headed. Desk pilot uses a free software and does a good job with it, I seem to remember Google Sketchup perhaps?

T-51ls1

i tried google skethup8 refered to me by a friend on facebook and its not like CAD at all. It's mostly for like drawing houses and such. I will look into desk pilot for sure, but i have found some other CAD software designed for hobby type people and they are cheap. One is only 100 bucks and you dont pay per year like some other's i've found.

Head in the clouds

i tried google skethup8 refered to me by a friend on facebook and its not like CAD at all. It's mostly for like drawing houses and such. I will look into desk pilot for sure, but i have found some other CAD software designed for hobby type people and they are cheap. One is only 100 bucks and you dont pay per year like some other's i've found.
See post no. 35 on this thread, that's the deskpilot I mean, I'm pretty sure he uses Sketchup for his designs, see his avatar that's an example. He says it takes a bit of getting used to but he does some very neat work with it. And it's free...

T-51ls1

oh! that make's sense now haha. When i typed that name into google i got some weird websites coming up. I will have CAD software after christmas for sure. Once i figure out how to use it, i will throw something generic of what i'm trying to do together and share it here.

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
So glad to see you're back mate. We all throw a wobbly some or other.

Now, Google SketchUp. Works for me but is not for every one, especially the more professional amongst us. See my thread https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/aircraft-design-aerodynamics-new-technology/14082-fwiw-my-latest-design.html?highlight= and you'll see that it can be used to model aircraft. It just take practice. If you down load it (free) and then visit the warehouse to get model, you'll be surprised what people have done with it. Some models are simple, others are quite complex.

My thanks go out to Head in the Clouds for your positive criticism of my work.

deskpilot

Back on subject, I went to see Flyvulcan's turbine powered Lightning Bug this afternoon. He tells me he's expecting a speed of about 350knots with a VNE of 375. Having 2 turbines, his flight time will be fairly short but he can elaborate on that later on. Not sure how long he's been working on (and off) this as he works overseas, but he has a long way to go and much work to do.

What I'm saying is that a 'fighter jet style' aircraft is possible but is not for the faint hearted nor the un-knowledgeable. Check his progress on his blog page here on HBA. BTW, he isn't using swept wings or fighter profiles of any sort.

Autodidact

We have had some trolls here at times, but T51ls1 is not one of them, IMHO. I thought he showed that he was both intelligent and emotionally balanced and he proved it by coming back. SVSUSteve was a little harsh, but maybe his patience ran out at the wrong time or something?

T51ls1, have you looked at Vehicle Sketch Pad? NASA is responsible for it, I think. It is specifically for aircraft design, sort of like Sketchup optimized for aircraft development, it's a possibility.

Have a look at the Lockheed F-80; it had great performance on a straight wing. The Bell X-1 broke the sound barrier with a straight wing. And the paint schemes that classic jets had were cool.

Last edited:

SVSUSteve

You'll go far, most of us take a month or two to cross swords with Steve, and you got him worked out in less than a week
I'm not nearly as prickly as you guys make me sound. LOL I just believe in pulling oneself up by their bootstraps, learning from criticism and taking responsibility when you come up short. That's why I am going to say the following.

Robert, welcome back and let it be said that I don't hold any grudges against you. I came across as harsh mostly because of the lack of "tone of voice" inherent in written communication. If I can help, let me know. Especially when it comes to cockpit layout and safety (my areas of greatest knowledge....it's not expertise because I have yet to make all of the mistakes possible in the field), I am at your disposal if you need my help just the same as for anyone here.

To the rest of you, I will try to be more warm and fuzzy from now on. LOL I do stand by my earlier comments however. I just could have worded them a little less venomously.

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve was a little harsh, but maybe his patience ran out at the wrong time or something?
Yeah, there was a recently banned troll who had been grating on my nerves. Unfortunately, T51ls1 just ended up being in the way when I finally decided to vent.

I thought he showed that he was both intelligent and emotionally balanced and he proved it by coming back
The fact that he didn't just go away and stay away shows a lot of character. To those of you who messaged him to get him to come back, you have my thanks. I hope he learns a lot while here.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Glad to see you are still interested in pursuing your interest in designing and building something of your own design. I am an A&P instructor and would be delighted to have students taking a strong interest in engaging in aviation as you have done. Working towards the A&P certification will expose you to many facets and possible areas of interest that you would not find in common college course work. One thing you might want to consider is to build a small scale radio control prototype and power it with an appropriate electric ducted fan (EDF). Modeling designs is a rather safe and relatively inexpensive way to determine what will work and what will not. Way too many designs stop as paper dreams without transitioning into a genuine flying article. Please continue to explore and learn....we need more people to keep this part of aviation alive.

Terry

T-51ls1

I found the vehicle sketch pad. Seems pretty cool with the stuff you can do with it but i will need to look at the tutorials. Thanks deskpilot i'll go check his page out and see if i can get some idea's from him. I would LOVE to break the sound barrior but i doubt i could afford an engine powerful enough to do it. My grandpa built dozens of model aircraft so i can go over there and see what he has and possibly build my own. Thanks terry I'm going to the AIM school here in missouri and we have a lot of very smart instructor's who really like to help student's. I'm going to pick their brains till i cant anymore while i'm here.

SVSUSteve

I would LOVE to break the sound barrior but i doubt i could afford an engine powerful enough to do it.
You might look up what happened to the P-38 when they approached the speed of sound in dives. Designing the control surfaces for a supersonic aircraft or one that can inadvertently approach the sound barrier in a dive, which you would do in a steep Vne dive in a lot of the aircraft in the categories you are talking about. In some testing regimens, you would have to intentionally put the aircraft into a dive that might put you close to the sound barrier to demonstrate resistance to flutter.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
o When i typed that name into google i got some weird websites coming up. I will have CAD software after christmas for sure. Once i figure out how to use it, i will throw something generic of what i'm trying to do together and share it here.
Welcome back! Might have to nickname you "Kid Timex" :gig:

On the subject of CAD thanks to Wsimpso1's review I finally took a look at Alibre. After playing around with it for a few hours I recommended it to my brother as an entry level 3D CAD program. It looks and feels a lot like Solidworks and looks like it would be fairly easy to learn from the tutorials (I already have a bit of Solidworks experience so this may not be true for everyone)

All the files I tried swapping between Solidworks and Alibre opened just fine. It also exports to other common file formats so your work won't be tied to just that one program.

Good luck with school. And finish your engineering education while you are still young. It's much harder after a 30 year gap :emb:

deskpilot

MOD: quote deleted.

Play nicely boys. No need or room for personal attacks on this forum.

T-51, if you wish to fly through the sound barrier, go hitch a ride in something that is capable of doing it. Just know that you won't feel a thing, see anything different apart from air compression waves depending on where you are in relation to them, nor hear anything as the sonic 'boom' will be behind you. Pity Concorde isn't still flying.
If you want to design and build an aircraft capable of breaking the sound barrier, look forward to years of study at uni, then even longer working for a company that builds that type of aircraft. You will then be in a position, maybe, to design PART of said aircraft. These days, nobody can claim to having designed a fighter plane, a supersonic airliner etc as it is a team effort.

Getting back to more realistic options, yes, given time and training ,you could design a small turbine powered plane, with a fighter type profile. But once again, it takes years of experience to achieve that sort of dream. Till then, keep your dream alive but start off with something less ambitious.

Last edited by a moderator:

T-51ls1

I agree going supersonic does take a team of very skilled engineer's. That's why i said I personally will never see that kind of speed. But I do think a moderatly fast streamlined turbined powered aircraft is achievable in a life time. Before i got really interested in turbine power i was looking into a P-51 replica kit as my first plane. Titan aircraft seem to have a good kit that gives you everything you need to build the plane and gives you a good range for aerobatics.

D Hillberg

Get an old pos engine on E bay or other place, rebuild it with the help with an A&P school (low cost) then do it. research & airframe both will take time & when the power plant is ready -plug & play. Got to time the build so you don't waste time drinkin beer waitin for pices to show up. Did I say waste time drinkin beer? Pick the proper power or you're just spinnin your wheels.

T-51ls1

I've seen people find old rollys royce engines and play with them but never seen them use one for an aircraft. That is an interesting concept though i'll look into that thanks!

T-51ls1

There are surprisingly a lot of turbine engines used for sale on ebay. It looks like the boeing 502 seems to be a good one to start with. One person said their's was generating 247lbs of thrust and they added an afterburner system to it to make another 100 to 150 lbs of thrust. At only 9500 thats a very affordable engine to start with and should give enough thrust to play around. Thanks for the idea hillberg!

Apollo

...I'm already working on getting a CAD program to start playing with that and coming up with ideas and see what i like best and then trying to test it.
T51ls1, I'm not sure if A&P school will qualify you for the student version of Solidworks, but that CAD software is pretty much the standard at Engineering colleges. It would be good to become familiar with it. If you can't get the student version, then any 3D parametric modeler will reduce the learning curve later on in college.

There's quite a few threads on HBA about CAD and other design software (I think some of the links were posted earlier) but you can always do a search to find more. Thanks for giving us a second chance to engage with you. And thank you Steve for the same reason.