Evans VP-1... Worth Building?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by ejcheli, Sep 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 30, 2019 #81

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

cdlwingnut and pops already said so but the good doctor will also prescribe the Fisher Dakota hawk(side by side) and horizon 1 and 2 tandem. You can build them from plans.Wings fold and they can be built in LSA E-AB or homebuilt category.Falconer in canada has plans for LSA high wing all wood but I think they are not popular and dont know if the wings fold.
    Dont know if you ever heard of FRED but his wings fold too but I dont think you will like him.I sure do though.

dragon2knight and ejcheli like this.
  2. Sep 30, 2019 #82

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

3. Sep 30, 2019 #83

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I thought that this thread was constrained to the VP-1. If not, my friend Matthew will be popping up any minute with a good candidate....

dragon2knight and Pops like this.
  4. Oct 1, 2019 #84

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Yea I started it with the question of a VP-1 being worth pursuing, but I also am very interested in other alternatives, both LSA and Part 103. Only specific thing I want is to be able to build it from plans and that it can break down for trailering/storage. Lots of awesome suggestions here and I appreciate all of it. :)

5. Oct 1, 2019 #85

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

ejcheli likes this.
  6. Oct 1, 2019 #86

Pops

Pops

Pops

If I was building another homebuilt at low cost, I would buy the plans for the Fisher Super Koala and saw all of the wood myself, use a 1835 cc VW engine with a Culver 60" x 26" prop and 1.7 oz un-certified fabric with paint from Home Depot.
    Good flying airplane at about 75/80 mph burning 3 gph.

7. Oct 1, 2019 #87

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

Pops
    This is what you are talking about.

8. Oct 1, 2019 #88

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yes, they are a fun sweet flying airplane. The prototype Super Koala is in a hanger new door. Just like building a big RC model and get the fun of flying in it.

9. Oct 1, 2019 #89

ToddK

ToddK

ToddK

The number 1 issue in home built/experimental aviation is not finishing. The vast majority of airplanes that are started are not finished. This phenomenon has been well documented. I think if more people were realistic and practical and choose the VP-1, there would be far more completions. It is a dead simple airplane with about as few parts as you can have with a wood airplane. A set of legal eagle wing ribs has over 1100 parts that have to be glued together. That is just the wing ribs. The VP-1 has simple plywood ribs you can cut out in a day. The list goes on and on. Its a very well thought out inexpensive airplane to build, own, and fly. Put another way, its a known quantity with a lot of support from other builders. The Fisher designs are nice, but they have a lot of parts, and they are not cheap. If you finish VP-1 you will know for sure if you can realistically take on a larger project later, and be in a better place skill wise to do so. Don't over think it, build it fast, and get flying.

10. Oct 1, 2019 #90

TFF

TFF

TFF

There maybe 1100 parts in Legal Eagle ribs, that’s a pretty easy job. Not as fast or easy as a jigsaw making a ply rib, but it’s not hard and kind of therapeutic once you got a rhythm going. A rib a night and in a month you are done. Takes about 45 minutes to make a rib. If looking at projects on Barnstormers, everyone makes it through the ribs. They actually make it through the welding. They don’t make it through the mockup of all the parts like cowls or panels or the systems. That’s when winners win. They are ok with the best they can do. A little crooked does not have to kill the project, but it does for a lot of them. Everyone thinks their lindy is in the bag. Most planes are pretty crooked. The finishers let it roll off their backs. If you get that far they tend to make it though covering.

You have to pick your plane and do what it takes to finish it. It will not get done with out the builder doing it all.

11. Oct 1, 2019 #91

don january

don january

don january

What I'm seeing in this thread is, is the plane worth building and as I said before YES. but as a builder on his third plane I feel I fit into the joy of building a touch more then flying. If you want to get a craft together fast as possible the VP is one bird that can get it done. I myself go for design of my taste and enjoy taking my time building it. What is it you really want ?

dragon2knight, mullacharjak and BJC like this.
  12. Oct 1, 2019 #92

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

i agree there is no perfect airplane just planes that do 80 to 90% of your missions, sounds like you just want to get in the air and enjoy flight, nothing like an open cockpit aircraft for that. The VP-1 will fit 90% of your missions from your opening statement.

seriously if I had a volkswagon engine instead of a rotax 503 if may very well be a VP in my shop now instead of the ragwing

mullacharjak and ejcheli like this.
  13. Oct 2, 2019 #93

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Evan's worked hard to keep it simple. To quote Budd Davisson "You have to be good to get that close to the edge."

14. Oct 2, 2019 #94

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

A good question, and I think I'm much like you in that I love building and making things (made countless R/C models from scratch) and the VP definitely fits the bill for quick build, affordable, and seems to fly really well. But that last bit is spot on... while I do like the VPs and I'd probably be happy with one, the Pietenpol keeps drawing my attention as I think it just looks classy while still meeting the affordable, trailerable, easy to fly, categories I'm looking for.

There has been so many great suggestions here are there are so many great designs it would take 10 lifetimes to build and fly them all! I think I'm pretty happy with the idea of making a steel tube frame Pietenpol Air Camper with a Corvair Engine. The two seats would be great if I want but will probably fly solo mostly, I love the look, its a well proven design, the construction looks simple enough (nothing I can't handle at least), and it should still easily be able to meet LSA rules.

Thanks again everyone and perhaps I'll start a build log on these forums when I get started! (To keep me motivated :D)

Eric

Attached Files:

15. Oct 2, 2019 #95

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

that's the spirit, now get the plans and start cutting and welding metal, oh and a log with lots of pictures, we like pictures

dragon2knight and ejcheli like this.
  16. Oct 2, 2019 #96

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

The Pietenpol is a better design than the VP if you want to see the scenery below you. No wing below to block the view! I have never been in one but It looks like you need to be an acrobat to get in the front cockpit. No doubt it is a classic design!

ejcheli likes this.
  17. Oct 2, 2019 #97

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Yess!! Haha, ok I'll definitely start a thread for it.

cdlwingnut likes this.
  18. Oct 2, 2019 #98

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

That's true, I've seen some amazing footage from the cockpit on YouTube and I've also seen a video showing someone trying to get in up front... hehe, it was a "maneuver" to get it to say the least, but hey, its possible!

Edit: Here it is

19. Oct 2, 2019 #99

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Time to get started on your wing rib jig. You could have a good start on the ribs before your plans show up.

20. Oct 2, 2019 #100

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

True. That would be a good place to start.