Evans VP-1... Worth Building?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by ejcheli, Sep 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 28, 2019 #61

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

The Thatcher CX4 is an aluminum single seater with a VW engine if you are looking for an inexpensive metal airplane. Mine performs quite well with a 2180cc VW. I fly off a strip at 5,200' MSL and routinely climb to 12,000' to fly over the local mountains. There are over 50 of them flying and there are often complete airplanes and partially completed projects for sale at reasonable prices. It is a simple airplane and goes together fairly quickly. Some pre-made parts are also available. It does not have folding wings but it is easy to remove the wings for transport.
    http://www.thatchercx4.com/index.html

2. Sep 28, 2019 #62

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Volksplanes were originally designed as flying dune buggies for Southern California weather. They are minimalist planes to get you into the air with the minimum building time.

VP plans show removable wings that can be stowed along the fuselage sides for trailering. You definitely want a trailer to reduce road rash. If your trailer Is fully enclosed, you can use it for year-round storage. Most gliders travel and store in purpose-built trailers
    The key is quickly folding wings.
    May I suggest designing wings that fold similar to Stitts Playmate? They have over-wing V struts with the apex near the corner of the windshield/instrument panel. Wings fold along a line defined by the rear spar and the top end of wing struts.
    All the control cables are routed near the rear spar hinge and stay connected as wings fold. Playmate wings lock with a single pin (per side) through the front spar, near the rudder pedals. External hatches allow quick access the wing fold locking pins.
    Yes, Playmate wings hang at odd angles when folded, but they are quick and easy to fold and lock pins can be inspected form inside or outside the cockpit.

Since this would require a major structural re-design of VP wings, get an engineer to review your drawings before building.

ejcheli likes this.
  3. Sep 29, 2019 #63

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

That's pretty sweet! I think a CX4 is definitely on my list now if I want to go with an aluminum build. Thanks!

4. Sep 29, 2019 #64

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Also, any thoughts on a VP-1 vs a single seater VP-2? I've been looking at both sets of plans and it looks really similar, would there by any advantage building a VP-2? More luggage capacity, more cockpit room, etc...

5. Sep 29, 2019 #65

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

95% of the airplanes in Alaska are tied outside at the airport. They need to be refinished about every 20 years or when crashed. New paint or new fabric, take your choice. Fabric is easier to strip off and a quality 100% acrylic house paint is cheap and lasts 20 years. Uncertified Dacron and paint is about $500. Hangar monthly rent for 20 years is? ($24,000- $48,000 or more).
    Airplanes need to be stripped for a good overhaul every 20 years, new cables, pulleys, hoses, etc.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    dragon2knight, FritzW and ejcheli like this.
  6. Sep 29, 2019 #66

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Some spec sheets for the VP-1 vs the VP-2. I feel like the VP-2 (as a single seater) would provide more bang for buck...

Attached Files:

7. Sep 29, 2019 #67

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

I like this idea of canopy, I think it looks neat but the open cockpit does have a charm too...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  8. Sep 29, 2019 #68

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

I don't know how easy or how long it takes to disassemble the VP-1 but it does fold up into a nice compact form as seen here. I think I'd probably keep it in a fully enclosed trailer though, but cool design.

Attached Files:

9. Sep 29, 2019 #69

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I know where you can get a good start on a VP-2, and it's free.

IMHO the VP-2 is too narrow for a 2 seater and too wide for a single seater. I think the ideal configuration is to widen the VP-1 to 24". There's very little "ripple effect" if you just widen the fuselage (sometimes even a minor change can cause a chain reaction of other changes and things turn into a mess).

Taking the wings off a VP isn't a big deal (30 minutes? when you get the hang of it) but it's not something you'd want to do every weekend. Doing it once a season is definitely not an issue.

Tying one down outside isn't a problem either. That used to be how most airplanes lived year round. You'd need to sew up a nice cockpit cover, maybe even a foam backed airplane cover if you have a lot of hail.

Pops and ejcheli like this.
  10. Sep 29, 2019 #70

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Any thoughts on the Corvair engine? It seems like its right up the same alley as a VW conversion just has more power. Might be overpowered for a VP1 but seems to work good in VP2s from what I can tell.

Found some info here: https://flywithspa.com/corvair/

This VP-2 seems to be flying with one here and sounds great:

11. Sep 29, 2019 #71

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

I have had the VP 1 drawings and a running vw 1600 cc with home carved prop for years but sadly have not started building.I think its the simplest and easiest VW powered homebuild even the flying tail which may be an advanced concept but not difficult in construction.We dont have 4130 streamline tubes and 2024 plate or for that matter any aviation materials where I live.If i could use alternate materials available here I would certainly build a VP in preference to the taylor monoplane/kr2 for which I also have the drawings.For a beginner I think its better learn to walk before you run.Performance wise also not too bad as the taylor cruises at 80mph and I think the VP is not behind by much.

12. Sep 29, 2019 #72

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Ejcheli, the airplane was designed for a 36hp engine. Bumping this up to 60 or 65hp, with a GOOD propeller, should make a stock VP-1 perform very well. There is also a lot you might be able to do with weight reduction, and that all goes immediately on the performance side if the equation.

ejcheli likes this.
  13. Sep 29, 2019 #73

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

Ejcheli, are You prefer any material? Wood, welded fuselage? Do You like shoulderwing, or low wing? What engine? Closed cockpit?
    What about Jodel D18, Pottier P.130, MB04 Souris Bulle, Culver Cadet, Szárazs Daphne, Wittman Tailwind, KR2S, KR1B, SNS2,...??

14. Sep 29, 2019 #74

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Much as I love Evans VPs, build a Jodel D-9 first. Considerably lighter and a real set of ailerons. the wing can be built easier than the original by copying the D18 wing.

15. Sep 29, 2019 #75

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

D9 with D18 newer airfoil is good choice, but D9 doesn't need big wing as D18 - build shorter chord 1.2m, shorter fuse 4.8-5m, modern nonfloating tailplanes.

Twodeaddogs likes this.
  16. Sep 29, 2019 #76

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Thanks Marc,

I think the Thacher is what I was trying to remember. I did knot know my CRS was so developed.

17. Sep 30, 2019 #77

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Any material is fine by me, and configuration doesn't matter too much as long as it meets LSA requirements. Nice list, haven't seen many of those, thanks!

18. Sep 30, 2019 #78

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

I think these Pietenpols are really neat too and fit a lot of the requirements I'm looking for, but I'm not sure about the wing removal/folding. Its definitely a classic though and looks like fun, I like the two seats, and it seems like it would be affordable.

Edit: Looks like its a 3 piece wing. Should be trailerable in theory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  19. Sep 30, 2019 #79

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

ejcheli likes this.
  20. Sep 30, 2019 #80

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

The Pietenpol can be built with either a one piece wing or a 3 piece wing. A lot of Pietenpols and projects are available too. They are also adaptable to a lot of different engines. If low and slow is what you want it might be the way to go. The open cockpit probably isn't real comfortable in the cooler months.

For a two seater there is also the Thatcher CX5 with tandem seating and a side by side two seat CX7. The CX7 has not flown yet but will soon.

dragon2knight and ejcheli like this.