Evans VP-1... Worth Building?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by ejcheli, Sep 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 27, 2019 #41

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Absolutely. If I decide to buy instead of build that's in my top 3! Sonex has some cool planes.

2. Sep 27, 2019 #42

BJC

BJC

BJC

Buy a kit or a flying airplane?

BJC

3. Sep 27, 2019 #43

TFF

TFF

TFF

Build the double eagle if you think the legal eagle will not work for you although I don’t know why. The LE and MiniMax are as regular airplane a UL can be.

As limited budget budgets get, the difference between $3000 and 5000 or $7000 to 10,000 is just a little more time and saving. Don’t get fixated on the trees when it’s the forest you need to be looking at.

I love the building part but there are plenty of ready to fly or just ready to fly single seat homebuilts for sale cheap. Cheap and ready to fly today. Might be money better spent.

dragon2knight and ejcheli like this.
  4. Sep 27, 2019 #44

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

What about Stits SA3A Playboy? Also improved Jodel D9 Bebe - 1.2m chord , Naca 43013.5 , 5m lenght.

ejcheli likes this.
  5. Sep 27, 2019 #45

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Either. I personally want to build a plane from plans because I enjoy making things but if I decide to buy a plane, a kit or used plane are both valid options. Quite a few neat kits out there for sure!

6. Sep 27, 2019 #46

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

That's definitely true and part of my conundrum. I just want to make sure I have as much information as I can get before I pull the trigger on this. Might be overthinking it, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask around. All the comments already have been incredibly helpful, thanks!

7. Sep 27, 2019 #47

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Active Member HBA Supporter

So far , thanx for your OP . The only BS that my detector went off on was the response from the professor . If you like the VPI and it fits your liking and needs , proceed as you like . My only input is , you might be able to find one that needs a a new home and a hug . I've found that it is more cost efficient to find a well built project and do your thing to it . Cost to build has gotten ridiculous . Besides , you can be in the air a good deal quicker . A lot of folks prefer to do the total build , and that's great but it's also pretty cool to get in the air with something inexpensive and then maybe build up as you learn . Hope this helps . Go for it .

ejcheli likes this.
  8. Sep 28, 2019 #48

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Cvjetkovic CA-61 "Mini-Ace"

9. Sep 28, 2019 #49

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

10. Sep 28, 2019 #50

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

you can do what i did. Get the plans and order enough material to start on some ribs (or you can do the rudder and fin), if you like the build process order more and continue. I will warn you building can be addictive.

ejcheli likes this.
  11. Sep 28, 2019 #51

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Your post #1 requirements read like a sales brochure for a VP-1. ...jus sayin ;)

12. Sep 28, 2019 #52

Winginitt

Winginitt

Winginitt

What often happens when someone begins to get enamored with building a plane is that they select something they like and begin to build their knowledge.....if not their plane. As they learn more they often change their opinion as time passes. Probably everyone on HBA has had this experience.

The first thing I think you ought to think about is whether you intend to do mostly local flying (where speed is not of the essence) or do lots of cross country stuff. I see you are from Montana, and it would seem that an airplane equipped for slower flight and slower landings might benefit you .....but thats your decision. If the low and slow
    type of flying appeals to you, I'd take a long look at something like a Bearhawk LSA. Its pretty fast and lands slowly and has an excellent reputation.

The video mentions kit stuff but you can scratch build it from plans that are sold.

cdlwingnut and ejcheli like this.
  13. Sep 28, 2019 #53

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Hehehe, I hear ya! At the moment my LSA choice is definitely the VP-1 and if I go Part 103, its the Legal Eagle XL. I purchased the plans for both and I like em.

There have been a lot of great examples shared here, most I have seen already and bookmarked but a couple new ones I didn't know about! Even if I still decide to more forward with the VP-1, I like knowing whats out there and picking up ideas from different designers and see how they approached the engineering challenges.

Keep the suggestions coming, I truly appreciate it.

@Winginitt - Low and slow is definitely it, cross country doesn't have much appeal for me at this time.

14. Sep 28, 2019 #54

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

dragon2knight likes this.
  15. Sep 28, 2019 #55

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Those are neat and I hadn't heard of them before until Dana mentioned them in Post 38. Looks like they are in the UK, but its definitely the exact sort of thing I'm looking for.

16. Sep 28, 2019 #56

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Fisher Flying is in Canada

dragon2knight likes this.
  17. Sep 28, 2019 #57

Pops

Pops

Pops

Fisher Dakota Hawk. All wood, folding wings, 2 place side by side. Fun easy build for an old RC modeler.

18. Sep 28, 2019 #58

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Oops, right you are. Dorchester, ON N0L 1G5 Canada

19. Sep 28, 2019 #59

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_Performance_Aviation_Panther

To fast, to expensive but all metal and can sit outside with a canopy cover in the summer and has the best wing fold and trailer or tow behind characteristics available.

Trying to remember the name of the similar all wood plane (from Georgia?) that was revised several years ago. It has been displayed at Sun N Fun for the last 5 years or so. KOSH promotions also perhaps. Any help here?

ejcheli likes this.
  20. Sep 28, 2019 #60

robertl

robertl

robertl

Thanks for posting the link to the VP II Dana, I had, or may still have, a set of VP II plans somewhere. I have always liked the VP's but I just turned 73 today and I'm not in the building mode as much as I'm in the flying mode. If I could find a decent one, not too far away I would really consider buying it, even if it needed a little work. I spent a few years, off and on, scratch building the wings and tail group of a CH-701 but it's for sale now, as I said, more into flying than building.
    Bob