Evans VP-1... Worth Building?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by ejcheli, Sep 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 2, 2019 #101

Pops

Pops

Pops

Neighbors Piet has the one piece wing, I like the 3 piece wing better. I helped put it together and it was a bear.

2. Oct 2, 2019 #102

TFF

TFF

TFF

A friend built two tube fuselage Piets. One Ford and one radial. Front motorcycle wheels to use the brakes. I think they are three piece wings but not sure. Could be one piece with a big center section cover for the fuel tank.

3. Oct 2, 2019 #103

don january

don january

don january

ejcheli. I have a bit of advice for your build to insure it gets finished with speed. Once you get the prints for what ever bird you want to build start with what ever your in the mood for but at the same time gather as much material and parts none stop and put in the corner because that's one of the biggest set backs is 'Waiting for parts and material" and trust me there is many things that need to be gotten starting with your build area. FWIW kr canopy.jpg

4. Oct 2, 2019 #104

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

Good point, that was kind of what I was thinking about actually, if I wanted to get started "right now" I can't, cause I don't have any material! Gonna make a shopping list for wood and steel.

dragon2knight likes this.
  5. Oct 2, 2019 #105

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

A second set of plans is nice too, one to keep in the shop with the project, and one next to your easy chair. The one in the shop is to use when building, the second is for when you are at home you can be figuring out what you need for the next step and get it ordered up.

6. Oct 2, 2019 #106

don january

don january

don january

This aircraft called the Sellmer Sportplane . yr.1930 is much like the Piet. odd d 1.jpg folding wing/ 2 cylinder / s seat. Look into Odd Duck Vol. IV you tube video you can see fold out and flight. I wish I had that engine for my T-mono. it appears to be a simple plane to build but pretty sure plans not available. Hey no big problem because that's what experimental is all about. :cool:

7. Oct 2, 2019 #107

robertl

robertl

robertl

The Pietenpol was the first homebuilt I fell in love with back in 1973 when I was 27. I'm sure I would have fit pretty good back then. Now days, the VP would be so much easier to enter and exit !!! As of now, I have my scratch built CH-701 wings and tail group up for sale and looking for something already flying. In the mean time, it's Cessna 150's and 172's. A VP project, that was not to far away and didn't need too much to complete would be a consideration. ****, where did the time go ?!
    Bob

8. Oct 13, 2019 #108

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

ejcheli,
    I see you got your builders manual today, congratulations! Which plan set(s) did you get?

9. Oct 13, 2019 #109

ejcheli

ejcheli

ejcheli

10. Oct 13, 2019 #110

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

That's the set I bought because of my airplane plans addiction. I'll have to live to 100 before I get around to building one but I can live vicariously through your build. I'm looking forward to it.

Happy Building!

ejcheli likes this.