Evans VP-1... Worth Building?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

A friend built two tube fuselage Piets. One Ford and one radial. Front motorcycle wheels to use the brakes. I think they are three piece wings but not sure. Could be one piece with a big center section cover for the fuel tank.

don january

Log Member
ejcheli. I have a bit of advice for your build to insure it gets finished with speed. Once you get the prints for what ever bird you want to build start with what ever your in the mood for but at the same time gather as much material and parts none stop and put in the corner because that's one of the biggest set backs is 'Waiting for parts and material" and trust me there is many things that need to be gotten starting with your build area. FWIWkr canopy.jpg

ejcheli

ejcheli. I have a bit of advice for your build to insure it gets finished with speed. Once you get the prints for what ever bird you want to build start with what ever your in the mood for but at the same time gather as much material and parts none stop and put in the corner because that's one of the biggest set backs is 'Waiting for parts and material" and trust me there is many things that need to be gotten starting with your build area. FWIWView attachment 89072
Good point, that was kind of what I was thinking about actually, if I wanted to get started "right now" I can't, cause I don't have any material! Gonna make a shopping list for wood and steel.

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
A second set of plans is nice too, one to keep in the shop with the project, and one next to your easy chair. The one in the shop is to use when building, the second is for when you are at home you can be figuring out what you need for the next step and get it ordered up.

don january

Log Member
This aircraft called the Sellmer Sportplane . yr.1930 is much like the Piet.odd d 1.jpg folding wing/ 2 cylinder / s seat. Look into Odd Duck Vol. IV you tube video you can see fold out and flight. I wish I had that engine for my T-mono. it appears to be a simple plane to build but pretty sure plans not available. Hey no big problem because that's what experimental is all about. :cool:

robertl

That's true, I've seen some amazing footage from the cockpit on YouTube and I've also seen a video showing someone trying to get in up front... hehe, it was a "maneuver" to get it to say the least, but hey, its possible!

Edit: Here it is
The Pietenpol was the first homebuilt I fell in love with back in 1973 when I was 27. I'm sure I would have fit pretty good back then. Now days, the VP would be so much easier to enter and exit !!! As of now, I have my scratch built CH-701 wings and tail group up for sale and looking for something already flying. In the mean time, it's Cessna 150's and 172's. A VP project, that was not to far away and didn't need too much to complete would be a consideration. ****, where did the time go ?!
Bob

FritzW

Log Member
ejcheli,
I see you got your builders manual today, congratulations! Which plan set(s) did you get?

ejcheli

FritzW

Log Member
That's the set I bought because of my airplane plans addiction. I'll have to live to 100 before I get around to building one but I can live vicariously through your build. I'm looking forward to it.

Happy Building!