Crashes in the News - Thread

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by choppergirl, Jun 8, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 24, 2019 #1861

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Here's a report on the Atlas/("Amazon Prime") B-767 freighter crash near Houston today. Much wreckage, no survivors likely.
    No known radio calls reported, descent at high rate/steep angle into the water.

2. Feb 24, 2019 #1862

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Looking more like there was a loose nut behind the yoke.

3. Feb 24, 2019 #1863

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

The plane crashed into the bedroom of 17-year-old Carmele Ngalamulume, pinning and trapping her against a wall until her brother, who was in the next bedroom, could run in and save her. There were three other children playing in the driveway of the house, according to Judd. Their mother was taking a shower when the plane dropped from the sky.

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBTZwCI?a=1&m=EN-US

4. Feb 24, 2019 #1864

don january

don january

don january

And you thought we are all safe.:gig:By the way how is that Craigs list add doing for pulling in plane parts? Not a bad Idea on your part.

5. Feb 24, 2019 #1865

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

Turd F, He was cited for reckless and lack of maintenance many times - changed his name on FAA records.... a total dirt bag.

6. Feb 24, 2019 #1866

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    "http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBTZwCI?a=1&m=EN-US "

A very lucky student. Must not have been a loss of control as it would appear at first glance at photo with the tail up in the air.

7. Feb 25, 2019 #1867

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

No free junk from it, *but* I got a few people wanting to buy ultralights :-/
    A good way maybe to meet some other ultralight people in your area...
    I made this part myself out of a rusty I-beam day before yesterday.

Today I brought two free 5ft step ladders home today, that I saw on the side of the road on my motorbike, the trash truck won't throw away anything but household trash, people... so... two ladders ahead? I look at it as two ladders I'll never have to pay for to buy.

Sticking out crossways one on top of each other like a squashed together biplane wing, one side against the tank, one side against my chest, my arms over them, and my butt on the rear seat. Was a very windy day, and they caused a lot of drag when the wind blew against me hard. First time my motorcycle has ever struggled against the wind. Not a day to be flying any kind of kite, and I resolved that when I fly to fly in the evening rather than the morning, because I'd rather be caught in the dark, than caught in mid-day wind.

Forgot to put up the kickstand and drove 5 miles before I realized something was hitting the ground when I leaned left, so I kicked it back up while level. Driving with a kickstand up can pick your bike up off one wheel and maybe ruin your day.

That could of ended badly and you might of read about me in this years Darwin Awards, or have read about me in the (poorly conceived homebuilt biplane) Crashes In the News - Thread. Wait, what, snap, you are. Man, this thread is hot. One things airplanes can be counted on to do with some regularity - crash.

~

What have we learned from these:

1. In enclosed cockpit airplane crashes with multiple people on board, the pilot is the person most likely to die. Just something I've noticed over a lot of crashes. Has anyone else noticed this? It's almost like a Captain going down with the ship kind of thing. Ostensibly, I conjecture, because he/she/it is entirely in the mindset of flying the plane all the way to a complete stop, fully concentrated, with no time or thought to "brace for impact" (such mindset giving him and everyone else best chance of survival). In passenger airplanes, the pilot is also always furthest forward in the nose of the plane, lessening their chances that much further. Over the wing or in tail = probably safest. Passengers, on the other hand, are completely helpless and without control, thereby with plenty of time to undertake "bracing for impact".
    2. Do not practice engine outs over populated suburbian areas. Derrr.
    3. When making off with roadside booty, in your haste, do not forget to pull up your kickstand up.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  8. Feb 25, 2019 #1868

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

9. Feb 27, 2019 #1869

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

10. Feb 28, 2019 #1870

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I had to laugh when I pulled up the N-number on the FAA records and it said, “This aircraft’s registration status may not be suitable for operation.”

0711A301-FBFF-4530-8EB0-19A56C935C77.jpg

I didn’t know the FAA was clairvoyant. :gig:

11. Mar 2, 2019 #1871

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Not a crash per say, but interesting research on surviving a crash... John Stapp

46g x200lbs = feeling like you weigh 9,200lbs

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.

Jimstix likes this.
  12. Mar 2, 2019 #1872

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Was it an interesting N number? I am faceless and can't watch the video...

Choppergirl, I had an MZ for a few years. The sidestand was on the end of the swing arm. I frequently forgot to stow it. I preferred to use the centre stand. There'd be a crunch and a sideways lurch as I heeled into the first left hander... Also done it a few times on other bikes. Never had worse than a lurch. Getting a stowed centrestand down was always a lot more 'interesting', but that never put me off, either.

13. Mar 3, 2019 #1873

henryk

henryk

henryk

-my (72 year yong man) experiments with "PULS BUMPER"=

-blue(50 kN tensometer)=2000 N/step
    -yellow (piesoelectric overloudmeter)=500 "G"/step
    -time scale =1 msec/step

V=5 m/s s<0.01 m (strite legs,lying position)

NewFile105.jpg

PS=what calculated deceleration (overloud) we see ?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2013/08/136_83295.html

V=15 m/s , s<0.3 m a=0.5 V^2/s =360 m/s^2 ( 37 "G" !!!)

jedi likes this.
  14. Mar 3, 2019 #1874

Jimstix

Jimstix

Jimstix

Dr. Stapp was a very interesting guy. Got the USAF to install seat belts in all staff cars and championed their use in all US autos. He was strapped in tighter than a tick and still suffered head, face, and eye injuries. He claimed that the last ride he took on the rocket sled permanently changed his vision. He went on to ride the other sled at Holloman -the Daisy Track - many times. Many of the test films survive and will make you wince. He was also the guy that provided data on seat belt strength of about 6,000 lbs tension. More than that and you are dead anyway. PS, the paved roads on either side of the Holloman High Speed Test Track are named East Stapp and West Stapp Roads in his honor.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  15. Mar 11, 2019 #1875

Richard6

Richard6

Richard6

Well it happend again, From Fox News On-line:

An Ethiopian Airlines jet faltered and crashed Sunday shortly after takeoff from the country’s capital, spreading global grief to families in 35 countries that had a loved one among the 157 people who were killed.

They were all among the passengers who died Sunday morning when the Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 jetliner crashed shortly after takeoff from Addis Ababa en route to Nairobi, Kenya.

Here is the link:
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/ethio...ding-global-grief-to-families-in-35-countries

Not much more info on what happened yet.

Richard

16. Mar 11, 2019 #1876

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

“Happened AGAIN” is a little bit misleading since there is nothing yet to indicate a common cause despite being a similar model of aircraft.

rv6ejguy, Topaz and davidb like this.
  17. Mar 11, 2019 #1877

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Other than occurring in similar circumstances with apparently similar flight path deviation? Time and thorough investigation will tell, but this should at least raise some eyebrows.
    The Chinese have grounded the type.

18. Mar 11, 2019 #1878

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

Would it be fair to say that a B-737 MAX crashed shortly after takeoff, with an erratic flight path prior to the crash....Again.

19. Mar 11, 2019 #1879

ToddK

ToddK

ToddK

Mr. Scott summed it up the best: "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

20. Mar 11, 2019 #1880

davidb

davidb

davidb