Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

I agree, money was payed, object was delivered. Nothing wrong with that.

Sad part is aviation. No smiles are allowed. Serious business. It’s the way the public sees us. We are not good ambassadors. We only want it our way. With the public not on our side we will disappear. If you make money going antiestablishment what is more perfect.

Mona Lisa not quite, but if you want to save one, I can set you up with a sweet one, it just hasn’t been run in years. Sitting in the back of a nice dry hangar.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
I agree, money was payed, object was delivered. Nothing wrong with that.

Sad part is aviation. No smiles are allowed. Serious business. It’s the way the public sees us. We are not good ambassadors. We only want it our way. With the public not on our side we will disappear. If you make money going antiestablishment what is more perfect.

Mona Lisa not quite, but if you want to save one, I can set you up with a sweet one, it just hasn’t been run in years. Sitting in the back of a nice dry hangar.
I agree that we cannot object to the exchange other than someone’s painfully bad taste in the disposition of the purchase.

It is my opinion that these aircraft that we hold in high regard do represent an art form that is considered high value and important to most of us here. We simply do not want to see these pieces of art diminished or damaged through careless or purposeful acts in order to entertain those that do not see the value as we do. I guess you could argue that the perpetrator in this case was expressing himself through art, rather poorly in my mind.

Aviation is a serious business that does not readily tolerate foolishness or ignorance. i seldom watch videos of “crashes” simply because I am saddened by the damage seen, injuries, or death that may have occurred. Unfortunately, my curiosity got the best of me this time.

the general public has the impression that these small aircraft are unsafe and require more regulation upon the operators. We are seeing more and more regulation through such developments as ADSB and recent requirements for serious RC flying requiring “remote pilot” certifications. Hopefully the forthcoming changes for light, personal aircraft will lure more participation .

I think we as a group are good ambassadors and have the ability to promote our interests well. Some of us, myself included, are lacking in social skills and the ability to effectively communicate the importance of aviation and our involvement within this realm.

Now, if you know where an old Luscombe is hiding in a hangar out here….hook me up!

BJC

HBA Supporter
My brother was just talking about a metal wing Luscombe sitting in a hanger is NC. I do know of a Cessna 140 sitting behind a guy's house....!

Derswede
The Luscombe is an impressive, but small, design. My shins hit the panel.

My neighbor just sold her Luscombe, “the Pink Pig” that she owned for decades - it was on its third engine during her ownership. She is down-sizing to just one airplane.

BJC

TFF

I know a Luscombe that needs to be saved but the owner won’t allow it.

I think we want to be good ambassadors , but we talk in airplane language. The average person in the street it sounds snooty. That’s where we fail.

It could have been this one. It’s much nicer.

Attachments

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
What you are suggesting is taking the Mona Lisa, and drawing a mustache on her!
I would not suggest that. What I do suggest is that if a jackass youtuber can afford to trash a classic airplane for a few minutes of stupidity, then the pricing mechanism of this transaction suggests neither the buyer nor the seller held it in Mona Lisa-level regard. Tongue-in-cheek, I suggested airplanes should be more expensive. Said another way, the market doesn't value them as much as we "airplane people" do (and ironically, we complain often about them being overpriced). If one considers airplanes priceless, yet overpriced (I'm guilty), homebuilding is a good place to be in aviation.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The Luscombe is an impressive, but small, design. My shins hit the panel.

My neighbor just sold her Luscombe, “the Pink Pig” that she owned for decades - it was on its third engine during her ownership. She is down-sizing to just one airplane.

BJC
So she is selling it.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There is a Luscombe that has been setting in a hanger across the runway from me for at least 10 years. I think its owned by 3 people. I painted it many years ago when it was restored. I also know the Luscombe from the early 1970's.

Derswede

TFF, I am going to send that photo to my brother. We rebuilt an 8A that managed to solo, sans pilot (Hand prop accident). It was to be my brother's. We sold it after my dad died, and the new owner managed to fly into Cumulus Granitacus. Metal wings are preferred, but he will be tempted by that photo. He does not have time to do a full restore (the one near him needs more work than he can afford to do at this time), but one needing some work and in an affordable price range might push him over the edge. Love torturing family.....!

Derswede

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Looks like an F21.
No, it's a Harer BC-12-85 conversion, still has the Continental short cowl. Fantastic performance on a budget, I converted my last T-craft using that STC. It's a very wonky and convoluted conversion, because the "approved data" was actually the Taylorcraft engineer Bob Harer's factory drawings for the factory to build an 85 horse airplane on the factory floor.

Converting an existing airplane to the factory 85 configuration was a lot more re-kitting work than it really needed. And some bad decisions about locating the wing tank fuel valves out of sight of the pilot.

And some bad decisions about the welded wing spar fittings that could confuse the crap out of one mechanic, or convince another mechanic to put it back together with a !()#*$ 1/16" air gap between the spar wood and the structural spar fittings.

But a light T-craft with a strong 85 in it, on the original short engine mount... what a beautiful flying airplane.

Last edited:

challenger_II

No doubt! I have some time in a BC12D that had just the engine swap to a C85.
I always wished Taylorcraft would have adopted the spoilers used on the TG-6 on the BC:
that feature would be nice, on a hot day.