that fly, should definitely learn to glide in a sailplane, and it will help
insure that they don't get mentioned in this Thread. I flew with people
that totally count on their engine to survive ; there are strategies to
reduce that risk, if you can soar a glider. I flew a Lot with a friend, in his
Rutan VariEze ; he was also a glider pilot, and ((Always)) had a back-Up
place to land. He sometimes increased altitude ; just to insure
an exit plan, if things went South.

Bille
I had already gone that route 4 or 5 years prior in my younger life. In 1968 I quit a good engineering job with General Motors (turbine engine lead test engineer) to be a flight instructor at the University of IL. taking a nearly 50% pay cut to be “in aviation”.

At the end of the post #14,338 story I was laid off from United Airlines working for Chrysler Corp at the Chelsey MI Proving Ground as a fuel systems / emissions control test engineer. I was driving around the test track listening to a daily reading of Richard Bock’s “Johnathan Livenston Seagull” on the radio when I got the idea that it might be a good time to check onto soaring opportunities.

As life would dictate it was then several more years before I was able to join the Boeing Soaring Club and have John Hope add “Glider“ to my pilot certificate. Then it would be many more years before I could experiment with actual “soaring”.

I am pleased that I did eventually have the opportunity to soar Tory Pines in a paraglider although I never have had the opportunity to visit Blacks Beach.

Last edited:

Bill-Higdon

One dead, one injured after plane crashes near Gila Bend Airport Quickie Q2 Tri-Q, registration N8054Y,

From the Groups.io Quickie group
This plane was purchased by Peter Stein from Texas. He was listed as the passenger on the accident report, and he is in critical condition in hospital in the Phoenix area. The pilot died in the crash, I did not recognize the name. Peter is the same person who flew with Bruce in Enid last December to get him familiar with the Tri-Q.

The plane departed San Diego the day before the accident and flew to a private airport, 29AZ, about 10 miles west of the accident airport E63 at Gila Bend, just SW of Phoenix. My guess is that he flew from the private airport, which has no fuel, via a short hop to the nearby Gila Bend public airport earlier in the morning to get fuel and then was departing, when the accident occurred.

I suspect the two men were ferrying the plane back to Texas. It was VERY hot in the valley of the sun yesterday, and the crash was just after takeoff, so I would suspect something like a vapor lock, since the engine was probably hot when they were fueling.

Based on the news helicopter photos, the wreckage was just off and to the right of the runway centerline, just outside the airport boundary fence. May have even clipped the fence.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Pure folly and tomfoolery (if ‘tom’ was spelled “dumb” and ‘fool’ was spelled “jackass” without the jack.

As much is some people try to create viral videos, I suspect this may be one of those attempts.

TFF

I feel bad for it too as it came from a friend. He didn’t know what they were going to do with it. I don’t think he actually knows anyway, except they called him for another prop. Just an old guy trying to sell off his stuff before he can’t. Much nicer T and a Reliant up for grabs. I don’t have the money or one would be mine. I would truck them home because they haven’t been flown for a long time.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Tow plane PA-25 at Twisp WA (2S0) on 5th tow of the day had bolt holding joy stick back out enough to allow control stick to become disconnected.

Pilot reported controls felt “sloppy” then controls disconnected or no control for pitch or roll.

This is my assessment based on preliminary or reported information and may be incorrect or inaccurate.

Conditions were nice day good flying day with turbulence on tow and lift for the gliders.

Tow pilot commanded “glider release” early in the tow and completed a 180 degree turn back to a downwind landing at 2S0.

Tow pilot walked away with cut lip from impact with instrument panel. God job!

Left main landing gear hit an ~18” high mound of soft dirt and aircraft bounced with second impact about 50 to 85 feet further along the track. Left gear separated on second impact with suspected sheared bolt. No fire or fuel leak.

Bolt that holds joy stick in the control bracket remained in the control bracket but no nut was found.

8BBB378F-8F85-4F47-8D49-265F4E45365D.jpeg

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I feel bad for it too as it came from a friend. He didn’t know what they were going to do with it. I don’t think he actually knows anyway, except they called him for another prop. Just an old guy trying to sell off his stuff before he can’t. Much nicer T and a Reliant up for grabs. I don’t have the money or one would be mine. I would truck them home because they haven’t been flown for a long time.
I assume that info came from the video? I didn’t know any of that, probably because I decided early on that the main characters were too painful to listen to so i muted the volume and skipped forward to the incident.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I'm not sure that posting that video helps anyone but the idiot trying to make it viral. Posting it here just encourages more of the same, I would recommend deleting the video link. Otherwise, you're just helping to increase the number of views, which is what the moron wants.

TFF

I knew the plane had a new home. Then someone else said it was truck guy. Easy enough to find after that. I will say for A65 owners that engine had pretty close to a 0 time standard crank. I have gone under the wing of that plane a hundred times to get to the cave in the back of the hangar. I’m not impressed for sure.