Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

proppastie

Log Member
I would think the weight of the batteries in a glider would be counter productive. You ever weigh a electric car battery?

tesla battery pack weighs 1200 pounds....
and you are correct....could be a problem....many competition gliders carry water ballast so for them it might only be a problem for competition but then in a competition they could remove the batteries and get towed up.......there are many compromises in the design process.....lots of decisions,.....lots of considerations...

Marc W

I bet the owner isn't happy.
I don't know the owner. He's probably some old fart like me who is past his prime. My young friend is eager and enthusiastic. He served in the Marines in Afghanistan. He kept his Cessna 175 in my hanger up until a month ago. He has now moved to the east front range to pursue a commercial license. He just passed his IFR checkride a few days ago. He needs his airplane!

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I would think the weight of the batteries in a glider would be counter productive.
Most of the better gliders can carry ballast, as noted. The best one I had carried 40 gallons of water in the wings, so somewhere around 250 pounds, and that was for a "small" wingspan of 15 meters. The larger gliders (18-24 meters span) carry more water.

A long-wing glider is probably the BEST candidate for a battery, the long wing span, favorable span loading, and very high L/D ratio suffer the LEAST from extra weight of any type aircraft.

When you add weight to a glider, the overall flight efficiency is virtually identical, but it happens at a higher speed.

Arkan

Most of the better gliders can carry ballast, as noted. The best one I had carried 40 gallons of water in the wings, so somewhere around 250 pounds, and that was for a "small" wingspan of 15 meters. The larger gliders (18-24 meters span) carry more water.

A long-wing glider is probably the BEST candidate for a battery, the long wing span, favorable span loading, and very high L/D ratio suffer the LEAST from extra weight of any type aircraft.

When you add weight to a glider, the overall flight efficiency is virtually identical, but it happens at a higher speed.
that's good to know... I know the rc gliders we always look for lift with thermal climbs. (We watch for bird's circling) then we try to catch it, but as for real world gliders, I know absolutely nothing.

Bille Floyd

that's good to know... I know the rc gliders we always look for lift with thermal climbs. (We watch for bird's circling) then we try to catch it, but as for real world gliders, I know absolutely nothing.
I also fly 4-m RC gliders ; so i can say this with near certainty :
Go take a lesson in a full scale glider ; your gonna Love it !!!

Very low possibility , that if you fly a glider ; you will ever
be mentioned in this Thread ?

Bille

Last edited:

Arkan

Very low possibility , that if you fly a glider ; you will ever
be mentioned in this Thread ?

Bille
well, I don't know about that, I don't fly.... yet. I do have the desire and a love of aviation. I am also designing a plane. But I think at the moment, I would crash

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Arkan, Bille Floyd is 1000% correct, times two. Go take a ride in a glider, you might fall in love with it, or you might hate it. Just like ice cream and apple pie and everything else. Try different types of flying, and see what "grabs" you. He and I got hopelessly addicted to gliders like a lot of people. Some others only care about going 300 mph, or going into the back country, or doing aerobatics.

Arkan

Arkan, Bille Floyd is 1000% correct, times two. Go take a ride in a glider, you might fall in love with it, or you might hate it. Just like ice cream and apple pie and everything else. Try different types of flying, and see what "grabs" you. He and I got hopelessly addicted to gliders like a lot of people. Some others only care about going 300 mph, or going into the back country, or doing aerobatics.
I will check it out, but I do have bit of good news! Finally I found an affordable option for learning to fly! It will take time, but his prices are something I can afford! May only be a few hours a month, but it is do able. 145 an hour for the plane ( and that includes fuel) 45 an hour for him... so I am very excited right now!!!! Oh yeah aerobatic is something I will never do! I don't care, fly plane, fly plane safe.... don't do stupid things in air.... that's going to be my motto... my butt does not belong over my head in relation to gravity...

challenger_II

I absolutely LOVE doing crazy aerobatics... with my models. :) That way, when I goof, I just go sweep up the pieces. As for what I am sitting in, I think straight and level is quite good!

I will check it out, but I do have bit of good news! Finally I found an affordable option for learning to fly! It will take time, but his prices are something I can afford! May only be a few hours a month, but it is do able. 145 an hour for the plane ( and that includes fuel) 45 an hour for him... so I am very excited right now!!!! Oh yeah aerobatic is something I will never do! I don't care, fly plane, fly plane safe.... don't do stupid things in air.... that's going to be my motto... my butt does not belong over my head in relation to gravity...

BJC

HBA Supporter
aerobatic is something I will never do! I don't care, fly plane, fly plane safe.... don't do stupid things in air....
As for what I am sitting in, I think straight and level is quite good!
After you get your pilot certificate, learning basic aerobatics, with upset recovery and spin recovery, will make you a much better pilot even if you don't routinely fly aerobatics.

BJC

challenger_II

My instructor was an old Army Air Corps (not Air Force, not Army Air Force, but Air Corps) pilot. He was very insistent his students were proficient in spins and the recovery there-of. So, yah, I know about corkscrewing with the ground filling the windshield. :)

After you get your pilot certificate, learning basic aerobatics, with upset recovery and spin recovery, will make you a much better pilot even if you don't routinely fly aerobatics.

BJC

Deuelly

Log Member

BJC
I like to say.

You've got to know how she spins and twists so you never get caught of guard and are unable to pull out...
....and that goes for airplanes too.

Brandon

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I like to say.

You've got to know how she spins and twists so you never get caught of guard and are unable to pull out...
....and that goes for airplanes too.

Brandon
Mine spins and twists a LOT! But I'm used to it. Our fortieth anniversary is Saturday, so I guess she's a keeper.

flitzerpilot

Complete mastery of an aeroplane is demonstrated in aerobatic flight, the purest form self expression and exploitation of freedom in the air. Even birds sometimes demonstrate their sheer exultation by performing manoeuvres that defy logic; a pair of eagles for example, talons intertwined , spinning earthwards like conjoined sycamore seeds, only releasing and recovering at low altitude for the sheer hell of it.

But confidence is acquired and safety comes with practice and that is at a safe altitude, otherwise our obituaries may appear on this forum. Even the best sometimes make mistakes, but that goes for all forms of flying. Committing aviation is not for the wholly risk-averse. Choosing the right aircraft which, by design, limits its potential for structural failure by enough built-in drag is one way to increase life expectancy.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Wether you like it or not is influenced by your first impression. I had a friend who did not like watermelon. I could not for the life of me figure out how that could possibly be and he could not explain it. Then one day I had a piece of warm mushy left over watermelon. Then it hit me. That must be what my friend Ron had experienced for his first exposure to watermelon. He never tried it again insisting that he did not like watermelon.

My first exposure to gliding was as a kid with my dad. It was a windy and cold late November day in Michigan. We helped push the 2-22 out of the corn field short of the runway and back to the airport and then watched the tow plane, a Stinson with that oversized vertical stabilizer, stick the prop in the runway as the pilot tried to do a 180 degree turn to taxi downwind back towards the glider.

Result - for many years I said I had been there saw that and I like power planes. With an engine you can fly when you want and go where you want.

Years later I was in a power plane not knowing just where I wanted to go or what I really wanted to do when I looked down from many thousands of feet to see a small grass airport, Adrian MI, with many many gliders all lined up in a row. That looked interesting so I landed (thinking I can extend this date without costing me $20 for every hour we are gone) and we will explore the airport and see whats the big deal.

It was a regional contest and the pilots were preparing for the start. We spent an hour or two talking with the pilots and their support crew (families) and all the preparations and departures.

Fast forward many more years when I had not flown for way too long but had a little bit of money in my pocket. I decided it would be a good time to check out that gliding thing as it shouldn’t be too expensive.

Spring had sprung and I decided I would take a day off work some day when the weather was nice and visit Brian Ohio and investigate the glider activities there. I visited the HP design center and factory and signed up for a dual flight In a two place K-7.

When we got off tow at 2,000 feet and the little green ball started to float in the variometer I thought if I had one of these I could fly all day for FREE.

Well it turns out I live in the real world and when I went to work the next day the sky was just as blue as the day before and the clouds were forming with equal “puffyness”. I thought about how nice it would be to take another day from work to fly again and made the necessary plans to do it again an perhaps solo in the single seat K-6.

Again and again I looked at the brilliant blue sky and the white puffy clouds that formed and swirled in the sky but more often than not I went home to dinner with the wife and kids and weekends were spent swimming or waterskiing at the lake.

It was obvious that I could not do all that I wanted to do. I needed to make a decision. I would need to quit the job or quit soaring. The answer was clear. I needed to quit soaring.

The End - No; to be continued, perhaps.image.jpg

Last edited:

Bille Floyd

It was obvious that I could not do all that I wanted to do. I needed to make a decision. I would need to quit the job or quit soaring. The answer was clear. I needed to quit soaring.

The End - No; to be continued, perhaps.
I was faced with the same conundrum, back in 1980 ; i took a different
approach than you though :
I did quit my current job ; but started selling Hang glider rides over
the nude beach of Torrey Pines in San Diego , and did that for
a decade !! That job , did exactly SQUAT, for my work ethic ; sure
was Fun though !!! :)

Sorry, I'm off topic , so i'll quit now ; but i still thing all motor-heads
that fly, should definitely learn to glide in a sailplane, and it will help
insure that they don't get mentioned in this Thread. I flew with people
that totally count on their engine to survive ; there are strategies to
reduce that risk, if you can soar a glider. I flew a Lot with a friend, in his
Rutan VariEze ; he was also a glider pilot, and ((Always)) had a back-Up
place to land. He sometimes increased altitude ; just to insure
an exit plan, if things went South.

Bille

D Hillberg

I was faced with the same conundrum, back in 1980 ; i took a different
approach than you though :
I did quit my current job ; but started selling Hang glider rides over
the nude beach of Torrey Pines in San Diego , and did that for
a decade !! That job , did exactly SQUAT, for my work ethic ; sure
was Fun though !!! :)

Sorry, I'm off topic , so i'll quit now ; but i still thing all motor-heads
that fly, should definitely learn to glide in a sailplane, and it will help
insure that they don't get mentioned in this Thread. I flew with people
that totally count on their engine to survive ; there are strategies to
reduce that risk, if you can soar a glider. I flew a Lot with a friend, in his
Rutan VariEze ; he was also a glider pilot, and ((Always)) had a back-Up
place to land. He sometimes increased altitude ; just to insure
an exit plan, if things went South.

Bille
So you're the target on our 12 o'clock low as we flew south bound in an OH 58 ..... Same mission . . .Same beach