Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Speaking of hand-propping, I wonder if (depending on throttle knob geometry and stiffness) you could hang a small parachute out the side window with the cord attached to the throttle? Hi rpm would blow the parachute back and it would pull back on the throttle.

Wanttaja

Speaking of hand-propping, I wonder if (depending on throttle knob geometry and stiffness) you could hang a small parachute out the side window with the cord attached to the throttle? Hi rpm would blow the parachute back and it would pull back on the throttle.
Or tie the cord to a brick, and put the brick on the ground.

Glider hook is still the best solution.

Ron Wanttaja

BJC

HBA Supporter
I have flown J-3's and PA-11's on floats and have held the door frame with my left hand, flip the prop with my right hand and I do not have monkey arms.
I’ve propped J-3’s from behind while holding the tube at the back side of the windshield. I never have, as claimed above by another poster, propped a J-3 while in the seat.

BJC

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I’ve propped J-3’s from behind while holding the tube at the back side of the windshield. I never have, as claimed above by another poster, propped a J-3 while in the seat.

BJC
Did you try doing three circles the sign of the cross and evoking your special powers first?

Reactions: BJC

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Everyone who hand props a cub type plane from behind who doesn't put a handle on the boot cowl should be taken behind the courthouse and summarily executed for gross stupidity, just my opinion.

D Hillberg

Smitty would slap the prop from behind with the chock on the wheel, It would always pop to a slow idle

when he was done he'd nudge the chock out with a toe slide into the seat - put on his belts and taxi out

It was an ugly brown cub saw him do it for years, Slow and calculated . . .

Now the Gyro Captain who knew it all within a whole hour that was a holy mess.

Even after nearly cutting off his arm and wrecking a hangar door - He still thought he was an "expert"

Maybe it's attitude?

964SS

HBA Supporter

wktaylor

OK, just for the record... the photo of the Cub NC188172... pilot standing outside on the right wheel, while 'he was working on the engine'... his wife was flying the cub from the back seat. This was a stunt for a photo-shoot. Still a pretty hairy photo.