Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hephaestus

Perhaps so, if he felt the swimmers lives were more important than his own. Most likely in the heat of battle he didn't think much about anything but getting down alive. Not altogether different than people landing on public highways in an emergency instead of crashing in rough terrain.
There's way more to this... And I'm hoping FAA lays down some serious consequences.

Pilots not attending the pilots briefing before an airshow. 15+ minutes of smoking in the air prior to the airshow - other pilots in formation advising him he's smoking. Air boss commenting on the smoke, not deeming it an abnormal and directing divert. Pilot continuing and making 2 passes in the box anyway - and ending up in the ocean.

Organization, airboss, pilot - all need a bit of remedial instruction on safe operation.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
A poll of Plane and Pilot magazine readers on the Martha Lunken-flies-under-the-bridge story. 500 responses. The survey was done before the latest allegation (that she turned off her transponder).
Like folks here, opinions were varied.

"FAA should have taken no action" : 9 percent

"FAA went too far " : 58 percent

"The penalty was fitting”: about 30 percent

Interestingly, of the 500 anonymous respondents, 3 admitted to having flown under a bridge and regretted it. Another 30 had flown under a bridge and did not regret it.

Not a scientific sample, but an indicator of how pilots (I presume) feel about it. More here: Martha Lunken Survey Results Are In, And Pilots Agree Strongly About Bridges - Plane & Pilot Magazine

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Merrick County Sheriff’s Office
PRESS RELEASE—FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

At approximately 7:33 p.m. on May 04, 2021 the Merrick County Sheriff’s Office was detailed to the area of 13th Road and M Road in rural Central City, Nebraska after the Emergency Communications Center had received a report of an airplane that had crashed in a cornfield.

Upon law enforcement arrival it was determined that the airplane was undergoing maintenance when at some point the airplane began to travel down the runway of the Central City, NE Airport. The airplane gained an estimated elevation of approximately 200 ft and traveled in the air for a distance of approximately 1.5 miles before crashing into a nearby cornfield. No persons were on board of the airplane during this incident. No injuries were reported. Both the FAA and the NTSB were contacted and the scene was cleared by officials with both agencies.

B2EF66FD-5E68-4724-9BB0-0A58C688F5CA.jpeg

DFDCEE78-E4FE-469E-8BDE-9570E5BEB01E.jpeg

ACC8A84A-CADF-49AF-88DB-E1C60EF7B682.jpeg

Attachments

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The yellow Cub was probably being hand propped and got away. I once watched an owner hang on to his Cub strut while it went around several circles gaining speed and then he dove at the left window and pulled the throttle back.

Riggerrob

The yellow was probably hand propped and got away. I once watched an owner hang on to his Cub strut while it went around several circles gaining speed and then he dove at the left window and pulled the throttle back.
Hand-propping accidents can be prevented by a glider tow hook near the tail-wheel.

Geraldc

The yellow Cub was probably being hand propped and got away. I once watched an owner hang on to his Cub strut while it went around several circles gaining speed and then he dove at the left window and pulled the throttle back.
that will iron out (oops sorry thought this was facebook)

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Many stories of this happening, you would think people would know better.

Also one that burns down an airplane every three years or so in Fairbanks Alaska is the ungrounded fueling with fuel cans. Pump service has a grounding cable right there handy so it is generally used but dragging cans out to the plane it is to difficult for some to drag out a piece of wire with some end clamps and a huge nail so they can ground the plane and invariably some poor sob becomes the example for the next couple of years or so. Ungrounded, static electricity can build up in the pour from the can to the plane and a arc will occur right where vapor and air are mixing. I always grounded the plane and the fuel can, a real pain sometimes but I never burned down my plane.

Funnels like the mrfunnel Home (mrfunnel.com) have a grounding tab on them. Ground funnel to plane, plane to ground (the planet, the earth) and also ground fuel can to plane with plenty of slack so you can maneuver the can. You can get big 80 penny nails at "real" hardware stores. The nail and some light gage wire and some spring loaded end clamps or clips is cheap and lightweight. Generally I had two wires attached to the funnel permanently with clamps on each wire so they could be clipped to the can and the plane (fuel tank filler neck) and an additional wire with two clips that attached at the firewall to a grounding strap bolt head and the other end to a 80 penny nail in the ground. Plastic fuel cans need a metal rod (piece of stiff wire) laying in the fuel proper that is grounded as many of the plastic cans themselves cannot be properly grounded.

Last edited:

speedracer

In the late 80's I used to rent a bare bones J 3, no starter or radio for $30.00 an hour (wet). The owner showed me how to hand prop it by reaching out the door and flipping the prop from behind while staying in the plane. Worked great.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
They don't have ground clips at service stations. What do they have? Could be in the hose. I would think a capacitor to prevent sparks would be prudent.

D Hillberg

Merrick County Sheriff’s Office
PRESS RELEASE—FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

At approximately 7:33 p.m. on May 04, 2021 the Merrick County Sheriff’s Office was detailed to the area of 13th Road and M Road in rural Central City, Nebraska after the Emergency Communications Center had received a report of an airplane that had crashed in a cornfield.

Upon law enforcement arrival it was determined that the airplane was undergoing maintenance when at some point the airplane began to travel down the runway of the Central City, NE Airport. The airplane gained an estimated elevation of approximately 200 ft and traveled in the air for a distance of approximately 1.5 miles before crashing into a nearby cornfield. No persons were on board of the airplane during this incident. No injuries were reported. Both the FAA and the NTSB were contacted and the scene was cleared by officials with both agencies.

View attachment 110278

View attachment 110277

View attachment 110279
"Here's the bill for the annual"

"It flew great will that be cash or charge?"

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I had handle on boot cowl so I could hold on to cub with one hand and prop with other, when standing on the skiis covered in ice and snow you didn't want the plane to leave without you.