Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Circuit breakers trip all the time. Gremlins be nasty creatures.
We'll see if that works for Martha. Or her "The transponder chassis probably loosened up during rough landings that day."
Sure.

Pilot-34

I wanna know how often does this happen to justify a camera to watch under the bridge ?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I wanna know how often does this happen to justify a camera to watch under the bridge ?
IIiRC, about 6 people end their lives each year by jumping off this bridge. A camera or two at a place like this can save a lot of state man-hours when investigating missing person reports

This is something Martha should have thought about. Heck, she coulda been hit by a jumper!

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I watched a guy in an ultralight do it, got away with it.
Pretty easy to get away with it if you don't have a license to lose.

That bridge has been undergoing a renovation and expansion for several years now. My guess is the camera had something to do with that.

TFF

Bridges are a big terrorist targets and get surveillance. Also for jumpers. Train bridges can have attendants with sawed off shotguns. I know around here they have way before 911. I know people who have flown under bridges with permission. Usually for movies or construction documentation.

Heinemann

The local interstate bridge at Hood River, OR. has been flown under many times. A guy (lawyer) did it in a Pitts, lost his license for a year. Another guy (rich guy) did it in a T6..... inverted. Same thing, one year suspension. I watched a guy in an ultralight do it, got away with it. A local guy would do it regularly in his amphibian, usually with a passenger. "Want to fly under the bridge"? "Are you serious"? "Sure, hold my beer and watch this"! He'd water taxi at 50 MPH up to the bridge, pull it up about 6" off the water, fly under, the set back down. Great bragging rights for the passenger.
Check out the Beaverton Outlaws on YouTube and hear about the grass roots of private aviation, some of the earliest dealings with the Federal Aviation authorities in the 1930's, and a story about someone looping the bridge in Longview Washington and getting heat from the CAA. Very cool stuff!

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
I was always the crazy one but back when I was working on my PPL , very early in the game , my Instructer was a bit crazier than me . We would do things that you'd probably go to jail over . We flew under a highway bridge that spanned over the North Canadian river while construction workers were on the bridge cheering us on . 40 some odd years later , I started growing up . Still workin on it . Bad thing , that's not the craziest thing that I've done . 70 now and don't have a clue how .

wktaylor

[U]Vigilant1[/U]... to expand on Your comment, last post...

or a large bird... like a vulture...
or a dangling or looping-cross-span wire...
or turbulence or up/down-draft from the bridge... unique to the weather that day...
etc.

Along-time-ago I took a 'free-ride' from a guy who decided to buzz the local hills over-my-good-sense-objections. Found-out it was his 'chicken test'. Never went with him again... and warned-others. About a year later he collided with a hill... NTSB implied 'strong low-level wind-flow patterns' were a factor.

NEVER fly with anyone braver than Yourself.

Unfortunately 'spur-of-the-moment decisions' are the worst decisions ever... they can be 'wicked', IE: have irreversible consequences.... foreseeable and unforeseeable and unintended. AND... When You know better, there is no excuse. Self-inflicted wounds hurt the worst.

Blane.c … When there is an accident someone-else gets to clean up the mess, rescue the living, recover and bury the bodies, pay-off the damage-claims and the other staggering bills, comfort the grieving... if that is possible... just for starters. Legal proceedings can break survivors. AND, IF you have children consider this: someone else will likely take your place and have the privileges of raising them.

But then, I've only been on [12] class A military aircraft mishap investigation teams... 6 with fatalities.

wktaylor

flyinut... Swearingen Merlin N59EZ appears to have a twisting/turning corkscrew flight path into Winslow AZ... ended off-airport ~2.5 miles. Any more info?

flyinut

Word is that they were fighting controllability issues. Bill Whittington was one of two souls on board.

MWD

flyinut... Swearingen Merlin N59EZ appears to have a twisting/turning corkscrew flight path into Winslow AZ... ended off-airport ~2.5 miles. Any more info?

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I've personally known many pilots who died flying, I have seen the wreckage or the still smoking hole many times as well. It still boils down to free will vs. control. Where you draw that line differs person to person but most draw it further to the bs side than I would. This country is turning into a bunch of Nancy pants personas.

TFF

With Whittington’s reputation it could be anything. Could have been a real emergency or a foolish stunt. Could have been a fistfight in the cockpit.

wktaylor

TFF... The flightpath data is scary.

I worked for Fairchild-Swearingen in SA-TX as a Merlin/Metro liaison engineer Feb 1981-to-May 1982. I have soft-spot for them.

radfordc

Saved his aircraft(easy retrieval) and himself by ditching close to shore. Didn't give a dam of the beach goers. Should of ditched further out to sea!
Perhaps so, if he felt the swimmers lives were more important than his own. Most likely in the heat of battle he didn't think much about anything but getting down alive. Not altogether different than people landing on public highways in an emergency instead of crashing in rough terrain.