• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cockpit noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
In the thread on designing the ideal cockpit, Skier said:
I'd like to quiet my cockpit to the point where I can have music playing out of speakers and not need to wear headsets.

Rather than interject into that thread, I thought I'd ask the question here: What makes a cockpit so noisy? I recently took a joyride with a mate in his Thrope T18, and on a whim removed my earphones to see how loud the cockpit was. I was completely cought off-guard by the noise. It was deafening. I can't recall ever hearing anything quite so loud.

Is it the engine? It didn't sound like an exhaust noise. Just a wild, rushing, enveloping roar.

My car is silent. If I listen hard I can hear the engine. But the cabin is quiet and peaceful. That is how I'd like my cockpit to sound. I'd like to fly without having to wear earphones.

Regards,
Duncan

Back