Any one else watching the SpaceX launch?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Presumably, there will be at least one fully trained astro there too, but presumably for emergency purposes only.
Naw ... too dangerous for the pilot; shoot the joyriders up, and hope that they get back down safely.

BJC

Aerowerx

I've been following but not sure why? must be something important we all should see.
There are several "firsts" they are doing.

The first time in 9 years (IIRC) that we can launch ourselves instead of hitch hiking with the Russians.

The first manned launch of a reusable booster than self-lands. (They have already done unmanned flights).

The first use of a privately owned system by NASA. (Previous systems built by contractors but owned by NASA.)

The first step towards a permanent moon base. (According to many)

The first step towards a manned Mars mission. (According to many).

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
That was fun to watch. My son, the amateur radio enthusiast, had the comm traffic going, and we watched the video feed along with it.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
We had a heated argument on here a while back where several long time members accused him of conspiracy theories and called him a fraud.

Turns out internet tabloids aren’t reliable sources of information. Go figure.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Ya, its the only part expended during launch. Which is one of the reasons the launch costs are a fraction of the competition. That and they dont let their engineers throw money away pointlessly for no reason.

Aerowerx

Anyone else here remember watching Alan Shepard get launched?

On top of a rocket built by the lowest bidder, he was quoted as saying.

Reactions: BJC

Victor Bravo

I may have been one of the pople who disparaged Musk back then too. I was horrified how I was treated by PayPal and I probably said I wouldn't do business with him anytime soon. I don't remember that I went so far as to accuse him of fraud, but I do have a temper so I might have.

I understand the Space-X launch went well, but we unfortunately had some other more newsworthy civil unrest problems here in LA, and Musk's rocket launch got elbowed off the air.

(We had a group of organized and prepared looters come in and tear up the city hiding behind valid civil rights protests as a cover. I was working on my airplane project at my hangar (KWHP) and it sounded like a war zone all around. Hundreds and hundreds of large fireworks, gunshots, etc.)

Even if I'm not happy with Musk and his business principles, I am very happy to have a US company launching our astronauts into the air instead of anyone else.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I don’t recall calling him a fraud, but I do recall that I have expresses great disdain for his business practices. That hasn’t changed.

BJC