Why the animosity towards ultralights?

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by fusionfab, Nov 5, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 8, 2019 #41

stiffpitot

stiffpitot

stiffpitot

Member HBA Supporter

So very true Pops! Freedom has been slowly and methodically evolving to mean something entirely different today than it did 242 years ago.

FritzW likes this.
  2. Nov 8, 2019 #42

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I will not go on a political rant because I care nothing about politics,but......
    You know,you can boil a frog alive and he will be happy to let you do it....as long as you turn the heat up slowly.
    Anyone that thinks we still have FREEDOM in this country is sadly mistaken.
    Stop for just a minute and honestly think about everything in your life that is controlled by the Federal,State and Local government not to mention businesses that you frequent.
    Rules,regulations and taxes are a part of every aspect of your life now.
    So you're right.....Freedom today is nothing compared to 242 years ago.
    Just look at the changes that have happened in your lifetime from the span of being a kid to adulthood.
    Because we let them do it to us.......
    I love this country,and some of the people in it..lol,but geeze..enough is enough already.

Kevin

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    stiffpitot and FritzW like this.
  3. Nov 8, 2019 #43

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

This is true, and it is akin to the concerns over remotely piloted drones. The concern about ultralights fades quickly after some exposure because the ultralight pilots at least have an appreciation of aviation, a concept about what an airport is, and they have real skin in the game if they mess up. RC models are sometimes welcome for their understanding and appreciation of airports and aviation. Drone pilots, though, may not have any love of flying, have any knowledge of airports or airways, and have no skin in the game beyond a couple hundred dollars for equipment. They fly not for the flight, but because they can place a remote camera in inaccessible areas. Many have shown their lack of knowledge or lack of concern for the rules by pulling stupid stunts like flying thousands of feet up into the approach paths of major airports. Granted, this doesn’t describe ALL drone pilots, but it describes enough of the. To warrant the concern.

I don’t want to open a drone discussion in this thread (we can do that elsewhere), but I was pointing out the parallel to ultralight acceptance and also where they differ.

MadProfessor8138 likes this.
  4. Nov 8, 2019 #44

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

A lot of regulations are written to stop the 20% of people that are 80% of the problem. 242 years ago people were largely religious and regarded themselves as subject to a much higher Authority than any human ruler, and they behaved themselves accordingly. The worldview of society has changed enormously since that time and people now do whatever they think they can get away with, so we have governments constantly wrapping more chains around us in an effort to legislate behavior. And they write rules that simply don't work, since crooks disregard rules anyway, while honest folks with common sense don't do the things being ruled out anyhow.

And taxes. It takes money to pay legislators and law enforcement folks.

Nothing will change for the better until the worldview changes, IMHO.

5. Nov 8, 2019 #45

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Ultralights are banned from congested areas. That alone should be enough to satisfy GA, FAA and the populace.

6. Nov 10, 2019 at 4:37 AM #46

xwing

xwing

xwing

7. Nov 10, 2019 at 12:28 PM #47

Alan_VA

Alan_VA

Alan_VA

If I may be so bold..... a prohibition on flying over congested areas does not, in itself, stop stupid and/or ignorant behavior. Some years back while approaching a non-towered field for touch-and-go practice, I discovered a small pusher UL doing figure eight turns about 50 feet over the approach end of the runway. I chalked it up to pure ignorance and a lack of concern for the safety of others. "Your freedom to swing your fist ends at my chin.", so to speak. This is my primary concern about drones as well. Think "teenager gets expensive Christmas present and decides to fly it immediately that day". Oops, it went out of sight. Now what? Who then up in the air just became an endangered species?

Alan

8. Nov 10, 2019 at 5:14 PM #48

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

The rule also requires the ultralight to yield to all other traffic. It was purposely made short (just two pages).
    There might be less ignorant behavior if the local airport had a resident ultralight instructor. Finding an instructor is less likely now then it was.

bmcj likes this.
  9. Nov 10, 2019 at 5:17 PM #49

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

The attitude towards UL's depends on the local situation. At my local field UL's are mostly operated by "old school" GA pilots (like me) who are attracted by the low cost and absence of red tape. Proper airport etiquette gets followed (as much as it ever did). The new UL guys off the street come in through/because of that group so they learn the ropes before they get in trouble.

I may have looked down my nose at them a few years ago but now I'm looking forward to finishing the Ranger so I can join them.

bmcj, akwrencher, pictsidhe and 2 others like this.
  10. Nov 11, 2019 at 12:41 AM #50

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Quite frankly, I believe if it flys, it is beautiful. And something I wish I had on days like today!
    Politics put the only airport in my county in play and the ultralighters left. They were the only ones reliably there. Now 2J0 is like the back side of the Moon... :-(
    Only creditable flying field is an hour away - I know, not that far for those living in a megalopolis.
    Everything else is locked down or over run by TSA.

11. Nov 11, 2019 at 1:02 AM #51

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Muahaha, another tempted away from the dark side!