• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why does this airfoil data base say they stall at 0 to 9 degrees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

http://airfoils.worldofkrauss.com/foils/1569

Just browse a while. You'll see they stall anywhere from -0.5 degrees up to 12 degrees, with 6 or 7 being the most common.

Yet I read many places that most thin airfoils stall at 15 degrees. And pilots on here say their props stall round 18 degrees.

Is the data base wrong? I developed a lot of my understanding of aerodynamics by looking at all the foils and picking out patterns, and checking those patterns against the characteristics of other airfoils in the database.

And Dae 31 from the Daedalus is said in some paper to have an L/D of 89 and Cl max of 1.9. Yet in this database, it is about 40 and 0.6. I know it probably has something to do with Reynolds number and scale size and speed. But the stall angle should be less variable.

Back