• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why are Phillips screws still so dominant in the aviation space?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jandetlefsen

Been working on my instrument panel and have been putting it on and off probably a dozen times now and can already see the first screws getting worn out. I'm using torque limiting on the screw driver. They just are not that great in principle. There are better alternatives like Torx but they are nowhere to be found at the usual aviation sources. Sure nobody forcing you to use those sellers but if you go metric where Torx is pretty common then there is a total lack of things like anchor plates etc. And finding a 8-32 Torx head screw specially if you are not based in the US becomes it's own challenge.

What am i missing here? I think i have a good collection of grippy, diamond plated screw bits but the Phillips screws wear out pretty fast. Or is there something like a UNC specific selection of screw bits that fit better?

Back