What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rick9mjn

to put add some idea's... to the post of #841 "i.e...Good job! I would just change prop to feathering version"

i saw somewhere the builder was working on finding the correct R.P.M of the motor / prop , to have zero drag / zero thrust. Which would have lower power draw from the battery.
And would be a lower cost, compared to a feathering prop.
And also to go along with the "good" engineering
practice of KISS "Keep It Simple Sxxx"
........have a good day / rick

John.Roo

to put add some idea's... to the post of #841 "i.e...Good job! I would just change prop to feathering version"

i saw somewhere the builder was working on finding the correct R.P.M of the motor / prop , to have zero drag / zero thrust. Which would have lower power draw from the battery.
And would be a lower cost, compared to a feathering prop.
And also to go along with the "good" engineering
practice of KISS "Keep It Simple Sxxx"
........have a good day / rick
Exacly - you need to set up correct RPM. And RPM will be different with different speed. So could be possible to make some automatic system adjusting RPM.
They are few areas where would be good to make research and testing.

For example....
Makes sense to try to keep "constant torque" to keep as high as possile electric propulsion efficiency? This could be done by in flight adjustable prop. And again - should be done automatically.
It is better to stop prop and feather it or keep prop in "sponzored windmiling"?

I would personally like to try combination of above mentionned and make "sponzored L/D computer". Combination of info from propulsion system and flight data could allow us to set up in flight "constant vertical speed" or "constant L/D". Glider computer connected to controller with output to prop adjustment system could do a very good job :cool: Of course software must be modified and set to exact type of plane.

Early mornign coffee dreaming...

rick9mjn

Exacly - you need to set up correct RPM. And RPM will be different with different speed. So could be possible to make some automatic system adjusting RPM.
They are few areas where would be good to make research and testing.

For example....
Makes sense to try to keep "constant torque" to keep as high as possile electric propulsion efficiency? This could be done by in flight adjustable prop. And again - should be done automatically.
It is better to stop prop and feather it or keep prop in "sponzored windmiling"?

I would personally like to try combination of above mentionned and make "sponzored L/D computer". Combination of info from propulsion system and flight data could allow us to set up in flight "constant vertical speed" or "constant L/D". Glider computer connected to controller with output to prop adjustment system could do a very good job :cool: Of course software must be modified and set to exact type of plane.

Early mornign coffee dreaming...
to spit- ball out at 2 cent idea's , to add to the low /correct RPM per speed idea' to go with zero drag and zero thrust'.
one KISS idea would to add 3 good / green spots onto the prop rpm ,
the first good / green spot would be for the speed of being in lift,
the second good / green spot RPM would be the best L over D speed.
the third green spot (would be a range of RPM's) ,that would be VERY with VERYING SPEED to fly into a head wind.... """non glider pilots, may have to look this speed up in a ref manual""".
good day to all /rick

John.Roo

to spit- ball out at 2 cent idea's , to add to the low /correct RPM per speed idea' to go with zero drag and zero thrust'.
one KISS idea would to add 3 good / green spots onto the prop rpm ,
the first good / green spot would be for the speed of being in lift,
the second good / green spot RPM would be the best L over D speed.
the third green spot (would be a range of RPM's) ,that would be VERY with VERYING SPEED to fly into a head wind.... """non glider pilots, may have to look this speed up in a ref manual""".
good day to all /rick
Good idea. In Red Bull race they were using system of LED strip. Before entrance to starting gate were LED lights showing speed (from red via yellow to green) . They could not start race at higher than allowed speed. After passing thru start gate the same LED strip was showing "G-load" - higher than permitred load during maneouvres was causing penalty.
LED lights are also good for peripheral view.

ElectricFlyer

HBA Supporter
What more can one ask for than to soar like an Eagle!
My trike is a bit of a soaring unit - ICE for now but planning Electric.
TrikeBuggy Trike with NorthWing Solairus 17m
I am hoping that in 2 years that Solid State batteries will be available. If not I will look at some reputable Lithium packs. Maybe make a pack myself.
IMG_20200809_202658_3.jpg

ElectricFlyer

HBA Supporter
These guys , collectively have a lot of knowledge, and know-how , on
that subject.

Bille
Thx -- Yes I have been there a while back - I will definitely be visiting again once I decide to convert. I have too time lines in mind. 1 is to commence winter of 22 using SS Bat if available or lithium or 2 wait if i know a better SS battery is to come out in 23. Cost is a factor as well. I cant afford to go crazy on batterries. I will base it on getting a new ICE motor -- so looking at that -- so budget saying for a new Thor 250DS, 4500$US?, for a whole electric system.
OpenPPG has come out with a new SP(single Prop) system -- I had their 4 Prop motor, had good thrust -- at 7K$ a little pricey for my budget for the SP140 system but could be adapted to an ML airplane such as mine -- I figure(hoping) by 2022 there will be more competition on the market for e-motor kits.
Icaro has a nice looking system with different pack sizes
Aeros E-ant also looking good
But all these units are little pricey for my budget during these times- dont blame anyone for making a buck but as a low salary person saving for retirement I will more than likely lean toward the DIY battery side when the time comes.

John.Roo

Yeah, no. In terms of effectiveness per unit drag, V tails are no better than conventional tails.
I was never measuring difference and I agree with you that "T" tails are better. My comment was based just on theory:

Ideally, with fewer surfaces than T-tail, the V-tail is lighter and has less wetted surface area, so thus produces less induced and parasitic drag.

or

However in real life I definitelly prefer "T" tail :)