Quantcast

What do you think about "e-soaring"?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Speedboat100

Banned
I really can´t get out from my head the idea of simple and light single seater.
So that you understand me well - I still want to share the beauty of flying so I enjoy flying with my wife with my sons and with friends and with other pilots etc ....
However... oneseater idea is still in my mind.

I was lookig for some reason and I can´t find it.
Maybe is normal - do you need reason to take your motorcycle and go out for few hours only to enjoy driving? Ideally with one stop for good coffee?
The only reasonable explanation is... arriving midlife crisis :cool:

....to the hell with thinking, let's make something.

I can understand it. I have been working on my specific design since the summer. Both computers broke down a month a go a week apart. Now I am limping with one fixed computer.

Last edited:

John.Roo

Why not build an HP-24? Provided the two of you could "play nice" of course.
HP-24 looks really nice. I personally like a lot the idea to offer KIT of good performance sailplane. And I am glad that Bob also works on FES version :)
web_1.jpg
However for simple flying in EU I need much lower Empty Weight to fit in UL rules.

John.Roo

No sorry.... Part 103 has too hard limitations for performance etc.
I would like to stay with MTOM under 300 kg (typical UL airplanes in EU) and keep 110 kg for pilot. And reasonable L/D :)

Speedboat100

Banned
No sorry.... Part 103 has too hard limitations for performance etc.
I would like to stay with MTOM under 300 kg (typical UL airplanes in EU) and keep 110 kg for pilot. And reasonable L/D :)

Okay...I try to make mine also Part 103 eligible.

John.Roo

=motorglider with high static thrust low pitch propeller.

"stall speed 24 kts (44 km/h) "
=windmilling propeller as landing dragschute...
I don´t know how is stall speed exactly measured in Part 103 category.
For me is stall speed "theoretical number".
Official definition is:
"Stall speed is slowest speed a plane can fly to maintain level flight."
Many "ultralight" airplanes are declaring stall speed below 65 km/h. But if you try to fly it you will find out that safe approach speed is over 100 km/h. Sometimes far over 100 km/h... For me is more important is how "nice" is handling of the plane in low speeds and how the stall looks like. And if there is recognizable warning before stall.
I personally like gliders and motorgliders. To achieve interesting performance you need some wing load, "aerodynamically clear design" etc. Limiting horizontal speed to 100 km/h means very low wing load, drag or.... cheating. So why to do that? :)

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Perhaps you will be amused.

For figuring stall speed of part 103 ultra light aircraft, scroll down "Just past" pg16 and you will find appendix (1) and 3pg below that is appendix (2) which is, Determining power-off stall speed of ultralights.

Attachments

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I just was thinking the little FAA charts and graphs would be funny to someone with a higher education in aircraft design.