Quantcast

What do you think about "e-soaring"?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

henryk

=E-FORMULA... > 500 Wh/kg !

BTW=today we have big problem with the NOISE generated by airplanes at take off phase=
FULL power, close to livind aside peaples...

HYBRID power system can help in solve this problem ! (ELECTRIC taxii, take off and climbe...)

=I have got this engine=circa 30 HP 350 cc/ 8 kg +exhaust (m.b. 2 kg) ...+3 kg CR Diff. reductor+

+11 kg LEM 200 (motor/generator + ? kg accus...=cheap UL HYBRID ???

(in place of G25B 20 HP

Attachments

John.Roo

John.Roo

"BTW=yet NO electric drive,only one PIPISTREL ...

-iff + PHOENIX Electro ??? !"

Dear Henryk, I am flying with electro-Phoenix since 2011 :)
First electric project was Phoenix D-14 and in 2018 we did test flight of U-15E.
Here you can see the history:
At the beginning we had our own propulsion system, now we have propulsion system from MGM.
Max power 60 kW (possibility to go up to 80 kW)
Battery capacity 35 kWh = 2,5 hours endurance or 10 takeoffs with two pilots aboard.
U-15E Phoenix is now tested as a electric tow plane and idea is that could be used also like trainer to teach glider pilot students basic skills before they go to pure gliders. Thanks to possibility of "sponzored L/D" you can simulate also high performance gliders and let young pilot to try emergency landings in different places. And because best aerotow pilots are pilots with gliding experience you make from beginning "two trainings in one" ;)
Best regards!
Martin

henryk

John.Roo

=how many % of electric energy is practically dissipated in motor CONTROLLER device ?
In Manual for EMRAX motors and DTI controller are interesting informations about the efficiency.

Here is efficiency of EMRAX motor
Efficiency EMPRAX 188.jpg
Looks like you can achieve 96% efficiency during continuous level flight.

And here is efficiency of DTI controller with EMRAX motor
Efficiency DTI controller.jpg
In simple words - it is good to calculate that 10-15% of energy will be converted to heat :)

opcod

On your 35kw, you run your system over a 380v power delivery ? And is the switch from your old version 32kw make an increased in efficiency based on the higher voltage used now ? or more efficient..

John.Roo

In D-14 (first prototype) we used 33 kW propulsion system because we had controller with max. 280 Amps and 120 Volts. On new U-15E we are using controller allowing us to go up to 400 V (if battery is fully charged I see on EMS 397-398 Volts). I personally prefer lower Amps - acually we have 150 Amps durign takeoff and arround 30 Amps during cruise.

It is interesting to see automotive way...
They use high voltage to precede to use parallel connection of cells. Boys from Skoda told me that ideal is to have only 1P. In our case would be necessary to have large capacity cells to achieve 96S 1P :)

Idea what I would love to try is to make the simple one-seater with cells from used electric cars. Than would be easy to have electric propulsion in cost of Rotax 582. But in this case I could not sell the plane as RTF (Ready To Fly). In other words - ideal "homebuilt airplane" :)

Of course I am also not against to offer a KIT of normal two seat Phoenix and let owner to install his own electric propulsion system. But true is that than you need at least 45-50 kW motor and that needs much bigger battery and more complex installation in compare with small 15-20 kW system requested for one sater project.

henryk

it is good to calculate that 10-15% of energy will be converted to heat
=LEMCO DC motors are circa 5% less efficient as EMRAX are,
but we can eliminate controller and summary we have circa 5% better system...cheaper(NO controller cost !)

Daleandee

-some technical data ?

"This is the first flight of my latest electric airplane, N540EV. It is a Sonex Xenos modified to fly with a powerplant from a Zero electric motorcycle. "

BTW= small wing skeen distorsiones ?
There is a thread about the development of it here: SonexBuilders.net View topic - Xenos 59 Electric Build

I too noticed the wing skin distortions. Not sure of the skin thickness on the Zenos models but I've never seen this on any other of their products ...

John.Roo

Zero motorcycles

For example:
Max. power 82 kW / 5 000 rpm
Battery capacity max. 14.4 kWh / nominal 12.6 kWh. Battery is from 4 packs, 100 V / 28S system. Each pack weight is 19 kg (42 lb) and noom. capacity of approx. 3,2 kWh
On board 6 kW charger
AC controller with regen.
Complete motorcycle for 21 995 USD

They have also version with lower power - 52 kW at 3 500 RPM, but with larger battery 18 kWh (nom. 15,8 kWh).
Price abut the same - but more suitable for small airplane.
Or even cheaper versions with much smaller battery capacity and less than 1 kW chargers....

Not that bad and interesting to explore :)

Best regards!
Martin

Last edited:

henryk

Attachments

Last edited:

John.Roo

=we hope (iff wheather...) fly to Gorki with two KASPERWINGs=RED /BLACK (R277)
and GREEN (ZENOACH G25) with CR Differential gear...

Hello Henryk!
Unfortunatelly I cannot arrive to Gorki - 1.8. I am with my two sons on Czech National Bowling Championship. They both (7 and 10 years) are really enthusiastic players. In 2019 was older Martin 3rd and younger Michal 8th in Czech Republic junior bowlers under 10 years :)
Probably the only event we will visit is in Grenchen
Mission - Electrifly-In Switzerland
If COVID will allow.... according to last info has been yesterday canceled Rotax Fly In in Austria...
Best regards!
Martin