What do you think about "e-soaring"?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

John.Roo

Good job :) And very good empty weight.
I asume that 115 kg is with some light combustion engine or with electric propulsion (probably without batteries). So to keep MTOM under 300 kg with "normal" pilot arround 100 kg you can still use 70-80 kg battery. Nice :)

John.Roo

If you have chance to test first the airframe with combustion engine than you can better calculate requested performace of electric propulsion. Take it like advantage :)

henryk

performace of electric propulsion.
"CR FLIGHT" modyfication get us big adventages=moore specific thrust (hope in flight too),less noise,better stator cooling (rotations)...

first attempt with LEMCO LEM200 (11 kW, DC=60 V 200 A)=now in work...

opcod

The Excel had already been in electric few yrs ago. A retrofit or different system is quite easy to do.

John.Roo

1593836541376.png
I like the simplicity of folding prop propulsion system on Sunseeker Duo.

e-Genius has also interesting propulsion system with feathering prop, but seems to be more complicated.
1593836747889.png

henryk

Do you have some experience with LEMCO motors?
-for clearity=my LEM 200(135 ) is too heavy for flying maschines...11 kg / 14 kW (29 peak)

=some time ago we have made experiments with 1 kW BLDC motor in CR regime,
1.3 +0.7 propellers=14 kG thrust !

-now I try to made the same,but with <29 kW motor and 1.3 m CR propellers...

DC is better,only 2 ,not 3 sliding contacts...

this data should help me in "fly-chair" construction, with IC circa 50 HP motor (R503)=

=for my older Fellow=

(problems with footh !)

henryk

Sunseeker Duo - still beautifull prototype....

22 m wing span was necessary to get 5 kW of power from solar cells.
But seems that also development of solar panesl is going forward. I had opportunity to see Sunseeker Duo personally on AERO some years ago.
View attachment 98805

On the other side is project of Sunexelec
View attachment 98806
One seater, light... with much less solar panels. Designed for fun flying and not aiming for crosscountry flights. Maybe suitable for SSDR :)

=similar with polish KR1 ELF ?

BTW=solar folien on PHENIX ???

John.Roo

=similar with polish KR1 ELF ?

BTW=solar folien on PHENIX ???
Well... I was not a fan of solar panels on the wings until I saw personally the Sunexelec. Nice and simple solution with small battery allowing pilot to takeoff and glide and recharge energy durign gliding. now I beleive that this really can work for simple light one seater. Maybe later can be this solution used also on two seater - with new generation of solar panels with higher efficiency :) However is still necessary to think about higher temperature of solar panels = need to use temp. resistant resin. or different wing construction. Lets see :)

John.Roo

-for clearity=my LEM 200(135 ) is too heavy for flying maschines...11 kg / 14 kW (29 peak)

=some time ago we have made experiments with 1 kW BLDC motor in CR regime,
1.3 +0.7 propellers=14 kG thrust !

-now I try to made the same,but with <29 kW motor and 1.3 m CR propellers...

DC is better,only 2 ,not 3 sliding contacts...

this data should help me in "fly-chair" construction, with IC circa 50 HP motor (R503)=

=for my older Fellow=

(problems with footh !)
11 kg vs 14 kW (29 kW peak) is not that bad. OK, is not the best you can see on the market, but if you have it already.... I would not be afraid to use it :) For one seater should be OK.

Flying chair? I am affraid of rotating props too near the pilot :) However all VTOL projects are looking for as high as possible thrust / weight so your development can be usefull.

John.Roo

=Grzegorz Peszke ( GP-10,12,14,15...) works with 180 Celsi grade resin=NO need in white paint !

BTW=why not the solar cels on bottom site of wing ? (diffusion sun energy...)
You are right - high temp. resin + higher temp. during curing is a solution :)

Actual solar panels are not so effective. I am affraid that any other position than upper surface of wing will decrease already not so high efficiency.

John.Roo

On upper surface is not so good but acceptable ratio between energy you get vs installation weight. Reason is that efficiency of solar foils is lower in compare with "glass" solar panels. So on the botom surface of the wing will be very low gain of energy.... I am affraid that will be better to save weight and complications with installation and keep solar panels only on upper surface.

By the way... best and cheapest position for solar panels is roof of hangar :)

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
On upper surface is not so good but acceptable ratio between energy you get vs installation weight. Reason is that efficiency of solar foils is lower in compare with "glass" solar panels. So on the botom surface of the wing will be very low gain of energy.... I am affraid that will be better to save weight and complications with installation and keep solar panels only on upper surface.

By the way... best and cheapest position for solar panels is roof of hangar :)
But if you fly above clouds the reflected light to the lower surface is much greater than if you fly over trees that suck up most of solar energy.

Or over ice if we manage to cancel global warming. :)