What do you think about "e-soaring"?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

John.Roo

Props from FES have normally small diameter and blades are designed to fit perfectly beside of fuselage. I would prefer diameter arround 1,2 m. Of course if blade could be "slim" - only better :)

John.Roo

Yes, the project Phoenixelec is beautifull. I like it and I am so unpatient to see it and test it personally.

I need the folding prop for other project :) Phoenix has undercarriage high enough for 1,6 - 1,7 m prop. And that is OK.
But for "glider like" nose prop diameter is limited and idea to move propulsion to position like on Sunseeker Duo, e-Genius or Windex is interesteing - especially in case of electric propulsion.

Exian

To stay "glider like", there is also the solution tested for the "Euroglider" :
Two small pylon over the trailing edge of the wing with rearward folding props.

Drawback of e-genuis and sunseeker duo configuration is that the vertical tail plane and tail cone must be heavily reinforced (so only possible on new designs), and have quite long power cables (both problems add lots of weight). Also, with all this weight "behing", you would need batteries under your feet, or move the wing rearward (of course they used the second solution, again possible only on new designs).
From the 2kg of copper I installed in my FES glider, I believe Egenius has at least 10kg of power cables in the tail...

The problem with the Euroglider configuration is that it is not legal yet (expect on the prototype to help convince french regulators that there is no problems)...
Euroglider team is only working to adapt CS22 (certified gliders) application in France, forgetting about ather countries and other reglulation (CS-VLA, ultralights...) that are much more potential to see the developpement of new planes with this configuration...

John.Roo

To stay "glider like", there is also the solution tested for the "Euroglider" :
Two small pylon over the trailing edge of the wing with rearward folding props.

Drawback of e-genuis and sunseeker duo configuration is that the vertical tail plane and tail cone must be heavily reinforced (so only possible on new designs), and have quite long power cables (both problems add lots of weight). Also, with all this weight "behing", you would need batteries under your feet, or move the wing rearward (of course they used the second solution, again possible only on new designs).
From the 2kg of copper I installed in my FES glider, I believe Egenius has at least 10kg of power cables in the tail...

The problem with the Euroglider configuration is that it is not legal yet (expect on the prototype to help convince french regulators that there is no problems)...
Euroglider team is only working to adapt CS22 (certified gliders) application in France, forgetting about ather countries and other reglulation (CS-VLA, ultralights...) that are much more potential to see the developpement of new planes with this configuration...
Nice!
Thanks a lot :)

henryk

=Al is lighter as Cu (iff current conduction is a matter ...)

=TAILLES glider seems more optimal for e-drive...

=NOSE wheel, iff NOT good closed ,destroy laminar flow=big drag !

henryk

=E-FORMULA... > 500 Wh/kg !

BTW=today we have big problem with the NOISE generated by airplanes at take off phase=
FULL power, close to livind aside peaples...

HYBRID power system can help in solve this problem ! (ELECTRIC taxii, take off and climbe...)

Last edited:

John.Roo

500 Wh / kg would be a dream capacity :)
Actually we are happy for +-220-230 Wh / kg.
But capacity is only a part of problem - second issue is price.
If we can buy actual cells for lower prices it will be good solution for simple self launch gliders / motogliders.
Problem I can see is also availablity of electric power on the airfields. 220 V is standard every where - however from 220 V and max. 16 A = 3,5 kW. Not so much is you have 35 kWh (or biger) battery.
400 V is much better, however this power is not available on every airfield + sometimes is max. power limited by low Amps circuit brakers. This is personal experience :)
So we are facing same problems like electric cars at the beginning. Missing standards and net of chargers.

However I am optimistic - is not that bad if we use what is actually available :) It allows to make training, it allows to operate self launch gliders, it allows to operate electric winch systems and even electric aerotowing.
Limited are crosscountry flights - but this will improve step by step as well :)

Martin

Reactions: BJC