What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mcmark

Took a day off on Fri and drove to see and work on my new biplane, it was delivered late Jan to my buddy’s shop and then we got shutdown.
I spent last week doing a top and other performance adjustments on my Frankenmotor and loaded and delivered it to the shop and got it on the airframe and plumbed the inverted oil and most of the fuel system. Cleaned up some items that I don’t want need for an acro machine. Still have controls and the gauge plumbing to do to complete fwf.
Still plenty to do after the fwf install.
As Patey says “Back to work!”
74559951-BA67-40CE-B55B-E06C7254807C.jpeg

Marc W

I spent a bunch of time trying to get my spinner centered better. It was badly off center when I bought the plane and it was trying to shake the plane apart. I took it off and have been flying without the spinner. I was waiting for parts to arrive this week so I reworked the bulkheads to center them up and remounted the spinner. I ended up with .065" of total runout measured about 3" back from the nose. It didn't vibrate but I could see the runout when I ran the engine. I tried to improve it today and I did somewhat. I ended up with .035" total runout. I was hoping for better results. It is a fiberglass spinner with uneven thickness and the rear bulkhead is flimsy. I probably need to stiffen the bulkhead up. I will see what it looks like when I run the engine but if it doesn't vibrate I will live with it for now.

Victor Bravo

(Sky Raider / Ridge Runner Model 2 IRAN and return to service)

Finalized most of the stabilizer and elevator mounting, and installed the rudder.

Every time I turn around, I see something that the previous owner FUBAR'ed or Bozo'ed or just didn't think about. With the fuelage covered (poorly, mind you), there is no direct access to hook up the elevator horn to the elevator pushrod clevis. Although I have indeed flown "rudder-only" R/C models once upon a time, I decided that (at my advanced age and decrepitude) positive and reliable elevator control is a very well-deserved luxury.

There is a possibility that small, highly trained Rhesus Monkeys might be able to accomplish this, but not with my neanderthal hands. (Worse yet, the FAA has recently mandated that the Rhesus Monkeys have to hold an A&P license, and that they have to pass random drug screenings. The local monkeys refused to pee in the cup last month, because of that big scandal at the strip club with the tequila shots in the dancers' belly buttons.)

If the previous owner would have installed a round access cover ring there where you could see and work on the elevator hookup, then that would be reasonable. He even had the good taste to install one a foot away so you could access the tailwheel spring retainer bolt. But no such luck for the elevator control.

So the razor blade came out, and - like magic - my fingers and eyesight got in. I'll probably glue a piece of clear plastic there to be able to see it, but chances are I could cover back over it and never have to get in there again.

Also made up a handful of 4130 sheet "tangs" for the cable bracing for the vertical tail. This aircraft has a strange system... there are solid V-struts from the bottom of the fuselage to the stabilizer, but then there are bracing cables from the stabilizer to the vertical fin.

So I made the tangs... that mount onto the stabilizer strut bolts... that have the holes... that pass the thimbles... that protect the wire rope cables... that get tied together by the Nicopress sleeves... that make the vertical fin vertical.

Next trip to the airport, I'll have to find an innocent vict.... I mean assistant... because doing the Nicopress process with the cable on the aircraft requires three or four hands, and I don't think the monkeys are sober yet...

Last edited:

cblink.007

Finally completed the fill/sand piece with micro...now on to epoxy wiping the surface in prep for primer and paint! Also cut out the nose landing gear bay door!

20200621_154630.jpg
20200621_121401.jpg

gtae07

Cleaned up the shop today and made room to drag the welder out. Going to try and make some firewall passthroughs this week.

pwood66889

Ordered parts from Aircraft $pruce today. As usual, delivery is more than the two bolt-washer-nut stacks!
"The only people reliably making money on Home Built Airplanes are the shipping businesses." US Postal, in this case.

Mcmark

We ordered some mount bolts 2nd day air to have for the engine install and still didn't get them! Chris was not happy, "I just smiled, sitting there on that sack of seeds" from the Wild Wood Flower.

BJC

HBA Supporter
"The only people reliably making money on Home Built Airplanes are the shipping businesses." US Postal, in this case.
Nope. Financial History Summary

I try to include things in orders that I have not yet identified as needed, but likely will need, as long as it does not significantly change the shipping cost. There definitely is an opportunity to save cost on a major project by planning and managing material purchases. [Edit: That is theory - I have yet to prove it.]

BJC

Last edited:

TFF

Miss management of our assets doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have been profitable. People did not want it to be. A Peter Ueberroth type would have been able to complete with Amazon. The rest would get censored .

Victor Bravo

Miss management
This immediately made me think of the bikini girl in the movie Dr. Strangelove, whose character was credited as "Miss Foreign Affairs".

"Miss Management" would be the nose art on some white collar criminal's P-51 that was bought with shady leveraging of hedge funds and securities :)

Reactions: TFF

gtae07

Over the past couple days... tried firing up the welder to make some wiring passthroughs. I had very little welding experience anyway and haven't touched it in over a year... and let's just say it wasn't pretty. I'll maybe try again sometime soon, and watch some of Scrapper's videos in the meantime.

Also marked and drilled some more doublers and such for firewall-mounted equipment. Still have a couple relays that need to find homes.

Been working on panel layout and switch positions, and trying to get back into doing the electrical diagrams, too. I'd much rather be out in the shop more but it's easier to do this stuff with a four-year-old running around.

Toobuilder

Log Member
First flight in the books. No issues of concern. Cylinders are cooling almost TOO well again (just like last year). My hottest CHT was 360. Once the rings seat it will be even cooler! Might need to neck the inlets down even more - which is something considering they are already smaller than the RV-8.

FF Rocket.jpg

Last edited:

DRFlyer

Started my first rib glue up for my Pietenpol project on Wednsday. I'll need to stop by HF to pick up some more small A-clamps to finish gluing the opposite side gussets. I made a few modifications to the jig to lessen the chances of epoxy getting in between the capstrips and tooling (forward spar tool had to be removed with rib and coaxed out with an exacto knife and some light hammer taps).
wing rib jun24.jpg

Also slowly banging away at disassembling one of the 2 Corvair core engines I picked up last month. One cylinder head has been removed, but I've hit a snag with a stuck headstud on the other face. The stud will have to be cut to get the head off, but at least I have 3 spare cylinder blocks to scavenge a replacement from if needed.