What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc W

You are right. I finished welding the pipes this morning. I used the mig on one side and then used the torch on the other side. The o/a went much faster and looks cleaner. It was good practice. Not all real pretty but it won't come apart. I have a Victor 315c torch and used a 00 tip. I like gas welding! I can see what I am doing better.

I borrowed a Meco Aviator Jet torch but the tip is to big and I can't find smaller tips for it. I will be able to try a Meco midget in a couple weeks so I will see how I like it.

pwood66889

Since "airplane project" is in the thread title... I wrote a "manifesto" to get some traction putting the `coupe back into the air.

Let's get it started!

It's time the Chapter Project got off it's dime. Let's meet next week and Do Something!
Since everybody has a free schedule, we don't need to take up weekends. I say we meet on
Friday, 29 May at ten o'clock at the hangar.
This is not my first rodeo, so I know there is no Perfect Day for all of us. We can
adjust days as we go forward, but I want to start then. The State of Florida should have
some idea as to whether it can reopen for informal, outdoor meetings. And we can meet on
more than one day a week - I'm willing.
There will be something to do! I swept the place today, but we can vacuum out the plane,
unpack a few things as there is stuff I have to find, and generally get our bearings.
The beginning Order of Battle involves placing parts of the project. The wings can be
worked up in the hangar. Paint will have to be applied else where, but there is lots of
prep work. One thing we can do is look over the manual. To be airworthy, it must be done
per the book and we all need a general idea of what is involved.
The motor will go together rather quickly, so does not have first priority. It would be
best done enclosed, out of the hangar, with some expertise constantly available. Kicking
around ideas is a start.
Assembly will take up most of the time. All parts need to be looked over, and there may
be some things to fix. For example, the main wiring is from 1946, with dicey insulation.
There are Airworthiness Directives that we can also address very painlessly while it goes
back together.
The Project needs funding. We're not talking large right now, but starting an account
must be done. I will throw in some, others have been contributing and we just need money
in the hat so it is available for opportunities.
Communication is pivotal. I am working off the names and emails gathered at our first
meeting. Here's what I have:
<names redacted to protect the guilty>
I need a phone number if you could get that to me. Any one I've missed can email me.
This is most emphatically not my project - it belongs to us all. Your physical presence
and ideas are what is going to get Ercoupe 94041 back into the sky where it belongs.
Percy G. Wood
EAA 266889

Wish me luck!

Mcmark

It was supposed to rain all morning, so took Momma with me and hit the Horrible Freight store. Half the stuff I got was hers.
Got home and figured I’d go see if I could hang the Tailwind engine. It fought back but I prevailed. D3744993-71E0-40B1-B845-1AD7927BBC77.jpegE7AA3709-E6F6-44E2-A1A9-0D26989F2F58.jpeg
I’m hoping to fold the wings and drag it home tomorrow. Never folded them before, so I’ve got some learning to do.

gtae07

Today I fit the Hall effect sensor (crank trigger) and then played some more with firewall layout. This afternoon’s draft below. Only the “fuel” “Rtn” and “brakes” holes are drilled; everything else is changeable.

I already expect the T into the fuel pressure regulator will change to something else (probably a bulkhead fitting on a bracket, then hardline) based on other feedback I’ve gotten.

Attachments

Marc W

Finished some safety wiring and cleaning up other details this morning. Then I scrubbed the oil off the cowling and hacked the cowling open around the new exhaust pipes. I am going to refit the exhaust fairings . They need to move forward and grow a little longer. The cowling is a work in progress anyway. If I ever finish it to my satisfaction I will make it pretty.
1590279125393.png

cblink.007

20200524_161556.jpg

I started finishing on my dynamically scaled test model earlier today. Sanded for three hours straight...only a couple low spots remaining!!

Mcmark

20955364-DFB9-40D3-AE9A-D6E1FA9E5D73.jpeg

Towed it home. Folding the wings was not an easy option and I was by myself so they are still hanging in the rafters of my shop.
Have a crossover exhaust from the twin Comanche that I’ll have to mod slightly to fit.
Hoping it doesn’t take to long to get it ready to go. Having it here will make getting things done easier.

Marc W

I glassed my exhaust pipe fairings on the cowl today. I had some scrap pieces of fiberglass sheet leftover from another project that I used as a foundation for the shape. It is two layers of 6 oz. boat cloth that I laid up on plate glass. I taped and clamped plywood to the exhaust pipes to space the glass out from the pipes.
1590627080666.png

Today I laid another 3 layers of 6 oz. cloth on them. A little cleanup and a little reinforcement on the inside corners and some micro outside and that will do for now.
1590627342918.png

The big deal today was getting my rough electrical work in my shop signed off. My wife bought a solar system and it will go on the shop roof. The previous owner, a retired building inspector, did a bunch of substandard wiring. I had to tear out everything he did and redo it. I also installed a larger subpanel and ran a 220 volt circuit for the welder.

I had previous experience with this inspector when I built my hangar and he was new. He was a nitpicking nitwit then. He had me redo some work on the hangar that I later learned was acceptable. He was completely different today. Seasoned! He looked it over and signed it off.

narfi

And, if the installer didn’t have the decency to use a flush cuter when trimming the ties, they cut the back of your hands when working behind the panel.

BJC
Yup. I got the scars to prove it :/

Victor Bravo

MarcW, those fairings are beautiful, but I gotta ask how much space do you have between the pipes and the glass fairings, and what kind of resin did you use for that? There's a lot of radiant heat, and there's been more than one airplane that got a fire started because of fairings around exhaust pipes. If you used some kind of hi-temp resin, or you have a couple of inches of airspace, then probably a non-issue, but if it's "regular" E-AB resin and a half-inch of air, then for whatever my opinion is worth, that would give me the willies. There are several people here who know which resins to use for stuff like this (I don't). I'm not saying that I'm sure you have a safety problem, I'm saying that there might be.

Marc W

I have 1/2" between pipes and fairings. I used Alpha Poxy - nothing special except it ships without Hazmat fees. My purpose in building the fairings is to encourage some of the cooling air to flow out around the pipes. There will be some airflow through them no matter what. Anyway, I am willing to bet my life that it is not a problem.

I pulled it apart today and did some of the cleanup. The resin is still green so I am going to let it cure a little more before I continue on them.

The puzzle I am working on now is how to support the exhaust pipes. The pipes from the rear cylinders are short and stiff enough to be self supporting. The pipes from the front cylinders are long enough that they are flexible. They will vibrate badly unless I brace them somehow.

bifft

Did sanding #4 of fill and sand on my wheel pants and gear fairings. #3 was supposed to be the last one, but the finish coat of paint brought out so many pinholes (some were way to big to be pinholes, more like bb holes). I'm only aiming for a 10-yard paint job, so it should have been good enough but wasn't quite willing to live with it.

Mavigogun

Anyway, I am willing to bet my life that it is not a problem.
A better answer would have been "I ran the engine at climb-out speeds and loading for 20 minutes, at 90f ambient air temperature, with a heat gun on the cowling reporting temperatures well below the tolerances declared by the resin manufacturer"-

-or, you know, something like that.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Ground running at climb-out power setting for 20 min doesn't sound like a great idea.

proppastie

Log Member
The puzzle I am working on now is how to support the exhaust pipes. The pipes from the rear cylinders are short and stiff enough to be self supporting. The pipes from the front cylinders are long enough that they are flexible. They will vibrate badly unless I brace them somehow.
Cheap muffler hanger from auto store