What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 8, 2019 #1321

BJC

BJC

BJC

Just went flying for the first time in 8 months, and after a few changes to the airplane. It felt good to get back into the air. Will need to adjust the aileron servo tab linkage.

BJC

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. Jul 8, 2019 #1322

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I'm having a good design day considering that I'm at work.
    Worked out how to do the aero balancing of my ailerons at an acceptable complexity level. Differential ailerons with a reflexed springy tab. I'll have good stick force all across my speed range. I may make them Frise if the adverse yaw is too high. I moved on to the elevator and have done that, too. Springy anti-servo tabs there. I haven't run numbers on the rudder yet, but the elevator trick should work for that too.

3. Jul 8, 2019 #1323

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

High power (tied to a tree) engine run today.

[​IMG]

Cooling system/baffles are done on the engine side, but the airplane needs speed to cool properly. This isn't going to cut it. Fortunately, my oil leaks are gone now, but my alternator quit.

[​IMG]

Battler Britton and pictsidhe like this.
  4. Jul 8, 2019 #1324

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Clamped the engine mount up in preparation for drilling it, and turned a drill bushing on the mini-lathe. Not sure if I’ll make a second drill bushing or not yet, to step up to the full 3/16.

Holding off on actually drilling it for now so I can double-check my measurements, make a second drill bushing if needed, and pick up bigger bits and a reamer at Spruce while visiting Mom & Dad next week.

5. Jul 11, 2019 #1325

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Spent a WHOLE DAY running down the alternator problem. Turns out the "how to" article in a recent Kitplanes was misleading. Had to resort to logic and theory to overcome the "pichers" in the rag.

I hate that.

Anyway, it all works good now. Did a good performance test - because both batteries were down from the engine run yesterday and all the troubleshooting today, the charge rate was pretty high when the thing finally came on line. So even with the fairly large diameter alt pulley (and the resulting low RPM) the thing still kicked out more than 51 AMPS at idle! Pretty happy with that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    delta likes this.
  6. Jul 11, 2019 #1326

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Since I have a baby CNC on the way, I thought I better install a CAD program and start playing with it. I last used autocad about 30 years ago. Mostly PCB layout since then, but none of that for 10 years. I'm a little rusty...
    I do like FreeCAD so far. There are few options for Linux and I'm not installing Windows just to run CAD.

7. Jul 11, 2019 #1327

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I would be somewhat skeptical of a 'reliability' mod that doesn't work out of the box.

8. Jul 13, 2019 at 2:13 AM #1328

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Worked on getting all cockpit switches and indicators placed. I ran out of room in my center sightline for 3 remaining indicators because the canopy bow impinges on some otherwise prime real estate at the top of the panel. Pondered placement off to the sides but I want these "in my face" (boost pump, smoke pump, canopy lock). Then I came up with the idea to use miniature LED's and place them IN the canopy bow. Problem solved! Anyway, panel config is done and it's ready for paint and labels.

Today saw me finishing up the rework of the canopy latch. What was a crude, spring loaded affair now uses heim ends (replacing the hacksaw cut, forked aluminum tube), and a positive, over center latch geometry. Also, one of the simplest and most satisfying mods done yet- the rear push/pull latch tube ran back and forth through a aluminum bulkhead in the canopy. When actuated, this tube rubbed on the bulkhead and made the same screeching sound an ironing board makes when opened. You know - like witch being boiled in oil. So while I had this mess apart I looked at my collection of nylon snap bushings and found exactly the right size. Now the mechanism articulates with quiet precision. Why didn't I do this years ago?

delta likes this.
  9. Jul 13, 2019 at 9:48 AM #1329

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Toobuilder, your fuel rail is a work of art. I don't think my system's going to be as pretty...

10. Jul 13, 2019 at 1:24 PM #1330

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Thank you. I do like fabricating hardines.

That said, this is a "home shop" weldment of a highly stressed and flight critical component. I will be eyeing it with suspicion for many hours. I'll probably revert back to the fuel block and lines that Ross supplies with the SDS kit.

My reason for going my way was to minimize the length of the deadhead (non recirculating) lines and perhaps save a bit of weight compared to a terminal block and individual hoses. I may have accomplished that to a minimal degree, but at the cost of questionable reliability. If a weld develops a crack, I'm at best looking at an in flight shutdown.

11. Jul 14, 2019 at 8:46 PM #1331

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

go for a fly in

Attached Files:

Tiger Tim likes this.
  12. Jul 14, 2019 at 8:49 PM #1332

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

13. Jul 14, 2019 at 9:09 PM #1333

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Great to hear!!!!!

14. Jul 14, 2019 at 9:31 PM #1334

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

791337E0-66BD-47DF-B9DA-417951C6EA96.jpeg Have been picking away at both airplanes.
    Cuby is flying and I am working to keep it that way. Cleaning up little squawks as I go. Am adding an aluminum seat pan so when I start adding some acro testing I can wear a chute. Also added a g-meter so I can sneak up on it without hurting myself.
    Tailwind engine mount is now back on the airframe. Gear legs have been drilled, wheels and brakes are ready to mount. Need to work out wheel pant brackets before I move them to the hangar.
    Hope to have it rolling in a couple weeks.

Toobuilder likes this.
  15. Jul 17, 2019 at 2:27 AM #1335

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Revised canopy latch mechanism. Now has a positive over center lock and microswitch.

[​IMG]

Also have the LED's active.

[​IMG]

From left to right the LED's are:
    Amber - buss tie isolation
    Amber - starter switch armed
    Red (not illuminated) -starter engaged
    (Canopy brow) Red- canopy not locked
    Amber - smoke pump on
    Green - Boost pump on
    (Panel) Amber- alternator malfunction

MadRocketScientist and delta like this.
  16. Jul 17, 2019 at 2:36 AM #1336

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Last night, I cut a bunch of holes in the panel. I really screwed one up and drilled it oversized by 1/4". I even had the right dimension marked right on the panel. I thought I was screwed, but the item (a 12V outlet) attaches with "ears". Fortunately, the the bezel and ears cover my mistake. Another 1/32 and I'd have been redoing the panel.

I also sanded doors. Again.

Tonight, I took a few hour break from airplane stuff and rebuilt our pool cleaner. It's working much better now.

17. Jul 17, 2019 at 2:50 AM #1337

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

18. Jul 18, 2019 at 12:25 AM #1338

N804RV

N804RV

N804RV

Fitting lower longerons to forward fuselage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mcrae0104 and MadRocketScientist like this.
  19. Jul 18, 2019 at 1:16 AM #1339

Dana

Dana

Dana

Last week I received the sheets of Confor foam (one 1" sheet each of firm and medium, ½" of soft) I ordered to replace the generic polyurethane foam seat cushion in my Hatz. 2½" of cheap foam over plywood just wasn't doing it, and any but the shortest flight made for a sore butt. Cut it with an electric carving knife and put it in just before a cross country to our cabin for the weekend. Much better, pricey ($80) but worth it.