What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 22, 2017 #61

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

good one.... if this is the trailer base, put a plate on it and go get it......an old boat trailer, some duct tape and get it home, then finish the closed box. You snoose you lose, first rule of good scrounging

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. Sep 22, 2017 #62

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Emboldened by my seat pan success I decided to push ahead sans analysis to the seat back. Wasted 2 days, about as stiff as 6 pieces of spaghetti. New design will be .625x.035 wall 4130 tube, which I did bother to stress. The 3/8 x 3/8x .025 alum 2024-t3 weighs less than the steel tube but the steel tube will work.

Actually the seat pan was not totally TLAR because I spent a week designing a floor before I decided all I needed was a seat pan. I just forgot about that part.

IMG_20170922_174821.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  3. Sep 23, 2017 #63

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Started working on my ruder, have the outline wood layed out now to do the cross bars, I need to route the edges to make them round do you glue the rudder together then route or route the peices before glueing them in?

Little Scrapper likes this.
  4. Sep 23, 2017 #64

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Fabticated and fit spark plug wires. Fabricated the mock up fuel rail. Fabricated the fuel line from the fuel pump block off plate/bracket to the fuel filter. ( I'm using the standard GM high pressure disposable filter just before the injectors). All I have to do now is fabricate one more simple line from the filter to the rail and I'm completely plumbed. Now that I finally found a supplier for those weird 16x1.5m tube nuts for the filter (in the mail), I can finally put a fork in that job. I'm also picking away at the baffles... I think I'm going to change direction and go with a fully sealed plenum, but we'll see how the fabrication looks on that one. Not looking forward to more mold making for the lid, I'll tell you that!

Little Scrapper likes this.
  5. Sep 23, 2017 #65

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

The dog house on the older Mooney is a pain to work on the engine.

6. Sep 23, 2017 #66

Monty

Monty

Monty

Finished up all the little odds and ends. Double stitched the cockpit coaming. Installed the windscreen. Did the final installation on the cowl. Installed the prop. Washed the plane. Weighed it. I saved around 65-67 lbs. I still have to install a few inspection covers and the spinner. Currently the plane is 68 lbs lighter!! I'll do the W&B tomorrow and start it up. :ban:

KIMG0186.jpg KIMG0189.jpg

wsimpso1, Topaz, TerryM76 and 6 others like this.
  7. Sep 23, 2017 #67

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

That is a spectacular result considering the size of the airplane! It will be like a whole different machine.

...I wish the VAF guys would get this excited over saving weight... There is currently a thread on this very subject and it is running about 50% of the guys complaining that they should be able to add whatever they want and that the "light advocates" are "elitist" and condescending.

8. Sep 23, 2017 #68

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Indeed, and thats why I have resisted a plenum thus far. However, the next iteration of baffles was planned to be pretty extensive - looking to do the glassair style "great wall" baffle under the chin. But looking at the level of fabrication that would take it looks like the plenum would come out lighter and certainly more effective. The great wall method would require about 14 running feet of baffle material and that is going to leak some no matter how Well it lays against the cowl. Cooling drag is going to be key to getting my goal of 200 knots and 10 GPH... Might as well go for broke on this go around.

Anyway, I have some ideas to have a fairly quick release plenum lid (piano hinges), so maintenance shouldnt be too painful.

9. Sep 23, 2017 #69

Monty

Monty

Monty

I'm upset it wasn't more. The empty weight is now 800lbs. The 85 hp EAA bipes are around 100 lbs lighter. Granted I have a full electrical system, lights, transponder, radio, starter, and 35 more hp. There is probably 20 lbs I could take off, if I really wanted to go crazy. Plywood floorboards could be replaced with aluminum. I could go on a rampage against fasteners that are too long, and a lot of brackets could use speed holes. I could replace all the steam gauges with new stuff.

But that would be a MAJOR undertaking to save a small amount.

Right now I just want to FLY!

10. Sep 25, 2017 #70

Monty

Monty

Monty

Started the airplane yesterday. Started instantly. Primer isn't missed at all. Oil pressure came up right away. Even with the brakes working right, I couldn't get over 1500-1600 rpm without skidding. Seems to be making a lot more power. Cylinder temps never got over 300, and oil temp was about 150 after 3 min. Did the W&B today. I actually took 72.14 lbs off the airplane!! Cg within limits. I've got to do a little body work on the nose bowl. The prop rubbed under power. Oh well, paint on that part never matched, and needs work anyway...
    KIMG0193.jpg KIMG0194.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. Sep 25, 2017 #71

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Ordered materials for the seat back, steel tubing, 2.7 oz Dracron, PolyTak, PolyBrush, PolyTone and cleaned the bench. Forgot to order the epoxy primer for the steel tube.

12. Sep 25, 2017 #72

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

Elevator cables completed on the Cruzer! Gonna get the boys over a week from Wednesday to help me get the wings on and struts setup. In the meantime I'm installing the engine - I'm really looking forward to it but **** are there a lot of wires. Software sales guy + complex wiring - what could possibly go wrong? Oh - it's a UL Power 350is so let's hope the ECU system is reliable like Ross' ones.......

13. Sep 25, 2017 #73

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Knocked off a couple more checklist items on information gathering - weights, costs, etc. - for particular components and added them to my weight-and-balance/costing spreadsheet, and pestered a vendor for information, after driving home from taking the stepdaughter off to university this weekend.

Try to to at least something every day.

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  14. Sep 25, 2017 #74

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Had a stupid busy week and have done little for a while. Got home 9:45pm, cracked a beer, and did something. I've been pondering how to keep the BSLD lift distribution constant across the inboard half span across the full range of lift. I've left my usb stick with latest spreadsheet and xflr5 files 250 miles away, but no matter, have an older copy of the spreadsheet on my X40.
    It was all going nicely, I've got a pretty flat twist distribution in the spreadsheet which will equate to a flat lift distribution With decent looking BWB planform. I thought I'd celebrate with a 2nd beer before the tedium of entering it in xflr5 to see what that thinks of it. Back to laptop, it's crashed, which is very odd. I'd modified the laptop with a dual compact flash to ide adaptor (1.8" drives are hard to come by) and one of the adaptor CF slot pins had pinged up, ripping out the via to the other side, that'll be a piggy to fix...
    I haven't really lost anything, but it's another delay.

The other Nurflugelistas may be interested: A taper of -0.1 (yes, negative, tapers to a point before the end of the wing) gives a fairly good lift BSLD lift distribution up to half span over a pretty wide range of CL, I think I was looking at 0.15 to stall. It might be possible to go a bit past half span, but I didn't look. Adding a triangular flapevator of 60% chord at the inboard end at 0.15 span tapering to zero chord at 1/2 span and a taper ratio of, errr, I think about 0, cut a nice bite out the wing. It will hopefully will give lots of extra lift when the flapevators are down more than, I think, 6 degrees for the BSLD deflection. tweaking the sweep had the flaps moment neutral. I need to play with the bite out size and flaps in xflr5 to balance a non-horrible stall against wing area.

I've had an idea for a eddy current dyno using an alloy car wheel as an easy to find and mount, large 'disc'. I'll likely look at that or something else till I get access to my spreadsheet again.

15. Sep 25, 2017 #75

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Double post.

16. Sep 25, 2017 #76

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Besides the workaday stuff on the regular project we worked on the full scale Nieuport and began rescue efforts on a 1943 Interstate L-6 barn find.

20170925_092535_resized.jpg Moving the L6 wings (~1/2 mile on a c.1880 railroad luggage cart) through a flock of Marine Corps CH-53's that roosted in our humble hamlet last night.

20170923_112424_resized.jpg Saturday: discussing carb adjustment strategies on the Nieuport.

17. Sep 26, 2017 #77

Monty

Monty

Monty

Excised a tumor.
    KIMG0195.jpg
    Confirmed tumor not needed.
    KIMG0197.jpg
    Got tired of dry layup shards going under my fingernails...:wail::mad:So I sanded all that smooth and cleaned it for a coat of resin.
    KIMG0196.jpg
    Tomorrow I begin facial reconstruction. I also took a couple panels that don't match very well off to paint when I do the nose bowl.

18. Sep 26, 2017 #78

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

The mailman brought me my metric tube nuts today so I fabricated the last two sections of tube for my fuel system. A simple tube with a 90 and a 30 degree bend, 3 flares and done!

19. Sep 26, 2017 #79

Monty

Monty

Monty

Fixed the big hole.
    KIMG0199.jpg KIMG0200.jpg KIMG0201.jpg

20. Sep 27, 2017 #80

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Talked to the fine folks at BRS today about a solution for my Expedition project. They sent me a worksheet that I'll be going through, and we'll see how this thing is going to attach to the airframe.

cdlwingnut likes this.