What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 22, 2017 #41

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I try... pictures from today of my Hodge Podge of scavenged aviation gadgets and my new Airmap 2000....

C51, I'll give you stuff. Somehow I seem to have come into a boodle of FSR's and Hour meters (?) and 60 lbs of Aviation Magazines

I get stuff not because I'm a girl, but because people don't want it or need it anymore or because I bottom surf ebay and barnstormers like a catfish, looking for out of fashion or obsolete or used stuff no other pilot would touch with a ten foot pole.

Would you jump on a $38 mislabeled pile of trash on Ebay, or an mislabled Chotia Gypsy Popular Mechanics Airplane from the 70's for $99, or a ground looped ultralight covered in boat vinyl? All three on the way out when someone "is cleaning out the hanger". How about a dead PAW-1500 altimeter watch on ebay with no display, that simply needed to be set out in the sun for 2 minutes because its solar charged and spring back to life? I roll those dice and take a flyer! How about an Airmap 2000 that is 15 years out of date and no longer supported by the manufactuerer? I would! Airports don't move! A Ball Vario from 1986? Yes, please! Chotia engines people take off their Woodhoppers and stuff in a corner? You betcha! Is it an 0-200. Nope. I don't need an O-200. 18 hp will do me just fine, even if I need a pack of D cell batteries to make it spark. If it's airplane related junk you won't want anymore, I take it! Because well, I have none. Or had none. I have some. Now.

I have my own strange method I guess. I swim below the sharks in the mud, where sharks dare not tred... :) Few bucks, and I have no competition here in the mud, so you'll find me dumpster diving behind the maintenance hanger. One piece at a time, evey little bit get's me closer down the road to somewhere up in the sky.

Someday when I have lots, and it's time to hang up my own hat, I'll give my aviation junk back to the next lot. You can't take the junk with you, and old junk you've lost interest in has a strange way of owning you back. At some point, the junk owns you more than you own it, and at that point, it's time to get rid of it and pass it on to some other person who wants to play with it. I find if I give stuff away then fortune brings it back to me in other ways as new toys I'd much rather play with. Wealth is liquid, and Fortune is capricious, and she watches what you do. If you want to capture her random whimsical favor, you have to make her smile. If it makes you smile inside to do something extraordinarily nice for someone, she's probably watching and smiling too, and thinks up some random nice surprise to pull out of her hat for you.

Mowing Briars full of junky metal trash I have to pull out is no picnic, you don't want to spend an hour cutting and removing barb wire wrapped around mower blades, nor is pulling 2x4's out of jungle overgrowth as raw material for an hanger door... if my lawn mower ain't starting, I have to pull that cart loaded with lumber up the hill myself by hand. I've since added a handle just for that, and rebuilt my starter and cleaned it's contacts (helped), oiled the flywheel gear (helped), and bought a new garden battery (helped).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. Sep 22, 2017 #42

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Band width is a problem...duplicate posts are frowned upon, I wonder if it is conscience or not.

My build post..photos, seat is done

3. Sep 22, 2017 #43

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

This morning I helped a friend find the data plate on a 1943 Interstate L-6 project that someone screwed up (many years ago) trying to make "homebuilt" out of.

Then fiddled with cowling and baffle fitting on the Waiex ...yawn

But I did take a picture of the cowling hinge pins for different thread ;)

4. Sep 22, 2017 #44

don january

don january

don january

A fellow KR-2 builder and pilot stopped by from Canada and returned the wing ribs for my Diehl skin's and he was heading to the KRNET gathering in MO. I loaded the cowling and engine mount for the KR-2 in his truck with hopes he can find a builder that can use them. worked on sanding and rudder hinges for the T-Mono and moved some stuff around to tarp for winter.

5. Sep 22, 2017 #45

Direct C51

Direct C51

Direct C51

I don't agree with this statement at all! Spending your whole day searching for free junk won't get you in the air faster. Searching YouTube all day won't get you in the air any sooner. Playing with photoshop won't get you in the air any faster. Listen carefully, get off the computer and go work on your airplane. That's the only thing that will get you flying, and it's the only thing you have t done yet. I'm not trying to be mean, but the act you put on of desperately wanting to get your glider flying, but somehow the man is keeping you down, isn't working. You freely admit you worked on your airplane 2 days out of the whole year. It's not your child and you aren't performing brain surgery as you compared it to. Drop the act. If you want to fly, go work on your plane. You got it for free. If you screw up a part, buy, or in your case, beg for more aluminum, and remake it. That's what we all have done. S**t or get off the pot. Building an airplane isn't hard. It just takes getting off the couch, and computer, and putting in the work. But take it from someone who just got their very own Special Airworthiness Certificate, it's worth all of the work, and mental anguish, and maybe even at times a sense of failure, to feel the accomplishment of having a flying airplane that you built with your own hands, skill, and ingenuity. Just go out and work on your airplane! But if you continue doing what you are doing, or more accurately, not doing, I can assure you I'll build my second airplane before you get your glider flying.

BJC, pictsidhe, FritzW and 2 others like this.
  6. Sep 22, 2017 #46

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Well some time spent on the computer can get you closer to flying, I've spent hours with my plans a calculator and my computer figuring out how much wood to get or other supplies to order to complete the part I was working on.

7. Sep 22, 2017 #47

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

Primer and paint on the spinner I'll use on the Tailwind. Not happy with the primer. We will see what tomorrow brings.

8. Sep 22, 2017 #48

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Mounted the control stick on the fuselage today. Another milestone for me.

wsimpso1 and Chris In Marshfield like this.
  9. Sep 22, 2017 #49

bifft

bifft

bifft

Measured and laid out where to cut some angle for the fuel pressure regulator mount.

10. Sep 22, 2017 #50

Direct C51

Direct C51

Direct C51

That's awesome scrapper. I'm highly interested in a Cassutt as a possibility for my next build. I can't shake the dream of racing at Reno someday. I wish there was a class for stock O-200s. Or maybe something like formula-Vee. The cost of a F1 winning engine is crazy now days.

11. Sep 22, 2017 #51

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

You can race a stock 0-200. Post your thoughts on the Cassutt thread if you'd like plenty of guys here are familiar.

12. Sep 22, 2017 #52

TFF

TFF

TFF

I messed with changing the control grip on my Starduster to a real contoured grip vs the old bicycle grip with electrical tape. Also received my grab bag of spruce from ACS and was pleasantly surprised. Im sure I got a really nice pick containing good length and thickness boards. Im going to rip one into capstrip and see what count I can get. One thing for sure, the wood is no box store wood around here.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  13. Sep 22, 2017 #53

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Chopsie. Your planes don't need 3/4 the junk you buy on ebay. They need little luxuries like fabric and maybe some latex to paint them with. Stop buying unessential crap and save your money for what they really need.
    Yes, manual work is hard work, but it gets easier the more you do. Last week I had 2 4x2s on each shoulder and walked up a 100 foot hill without stopping halfway. That's 100 vertical feet, in 250 yards. It was too wet for my truck and I had stuff to do.

14. Sep 22, 2017 #54

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I've always wanted to custom make a small gang saw on a arbor just for capstrip. I have it worked out in my head.

15. Sep 22, 2017 #55

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

So about those rudder pedals: worked on making the brake cylinder couplings, and test fit things. It actually seems like it will work!

20170921_232453.jpg
    20170921_232628.jpg
    20170921_232713.jpg

wsimpso1, Topaz, BJC and 2 others like this.
  16. Sep 22, 2017 #56

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Dude, that looks sweet!

17. Sep 22, 2017 #57

TFF

TFF

TFF

That would make short work of cap. I would want to count my fingers every time.

18. Sep 22, 2017 #58

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

I believe you do....but there is a fine line between hording, and scrap dealer/parts recycle. My dad used to say....it is easy to buy harder to sell. I do have a friend that makes a good living scrapping out and reselling aircraft and parts that the boomers have let set. It takes capital, expertise, he is a former auto mechanic, A&P and radio expert. He buys a sitting aircraft for a little more than the core value of the engine. He also works hard.

19. Sep 22, 2017 #59

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Dude, progress on the airplane? The actual airplane?

20. Sep 22, 2017 #60

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

A lot more to building an airplane than working on a bend brake or shooting rivets... (I don't even have a bend brake. or rivet gun... and I won't need either to build my plane). I don't know about you guys, but I have to do lots of unglamorous other stuff... that may seem peripheral to flying...

Fetching a free plane project always skyrockets right to the top of my priority list and everything else stops. Designing a trailer modification to fetch this Poor Boy. So it's sketch and tape measure time. Just what I'm doing today, if you don't care for trivial crap like this, than ignore. I share, if you don't care, then avert dat stare :) Somebody got to raise a little hell round this staid airplane forum.

I'm thinking, I build a 13' (interior) x 5' (interior) very simple plyboard floor box that is 2' high, on top of my trailer, and then the 12' x 5' wing halfs can lay inside that on top of each other, sandwitched between foam you put under floor carpet, and a lid is set on top of the box and fastened down. So the wing halfs are inside a protected box, and the fuselage can be lifted to sit on top of that box.

[​IMG]

It's 2' from the nose to front wheel.
    It's 7' from front wheel to main wheels.
    It's 11' from main wheels to rear tail
    20' total from nose to tail. Plane tail will extend 7' off the back end with a red flag tied on tail wheel.
    From front green 2x4 to rear green 2x4 in picture is 13'

The tricky thing is his custom engineered main rear tricycle wheels are a whopping 6'4" wide from outside of tire to outside of tire, with 2" axle beyond each. So I may make extenders to sit on top out the side to support the back wheels, or take them off and support it on it's axles, or just make a wooden support for the axles to fit on.

I'm trying to decide if my floor beams can be from the scads of 2x4's I have, which would have my floor drop in and be 1" lower than the top of the mud rims... or I cut some wood beams specifically to be 5 1/2" high, so the plyboard can lay right on top of mud rims uninterrupted and I have a totally flat surface.

Eventually I'll take the 2' high wing box part off, back down to my plywood floor, and just go straight up the same way with 2x4's to make an 8' high enclosed trailer like someone did here at HBA with their vinyl boat trailer build. Side it with that flimsy 1cm thick paneling used inside house trailers with a staple gun (to keep the vinyl from flapping) and then shrink wrap it all in white water proof boat vinyl.

I'll convert the tricycle landing gear back to a tail dragger, which I think has much shorter wheel base, and will be able to roll right into a 5' 3" wide trailer. My Volmer is 4' wide wheelbase, so it would fit in the trailer too. Eventually extend the trailer with some more U channel to be 20' long... my dad said I got lucky on this trailer, that U channel is easy to find.

Back to a taildragger configuration and with wings folded, its a compact looking package.

It has wing fold hinges on the rear, but with his re-engineered tricycle landing gear configuration, they interfere with it, so he has the wings off. Therefore my idea to store the wings under the plane in a safe box, rather than strapped to the side of it where all hell may break loose if one comes loose or catches some wind on an 800 mile trip back at 50mph.

[​IMG]

It rained today, so it's hot and muggy and humid outside today, so I won't put anything together, just putting boards up to visualize and theorizing on my joints. I'm pondering something aircrafty, if I should drill out center holes in the boards, to lighten them like wing ribs... or rip some of them down to 2x2's on a table saw (like the veritical stabs), because they are over kill.

I'm kind of thinking carriage bolts and washers to put it together, and drywall phillips head screws to fasten the plyboard and side panels down, since I might want to later take it apart.

I found out one 2'x4' vertical, with one 2'x4' horizontal on top of it, comes out just shy of 5 1/2 inches, level with the tops of my mud flaps (see short grey board on left by mudflap).

That will put my fuselage way up high in the air, I'm guessing two guys could lift it up there. It will look funny way up there, but I don't think it will cause much drag.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017