What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 20, 2017 #21

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I replaced 4 steel 1/2 inch NPT plugs on my oil sump with aluminum versions procured from the aviation section of Summit Racing. Cost about $3 bucks, took about 3 minutes and saved about 3 oz.

Voidhawk9 likes this.
  2. Sep 20, 2017 #22

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

At $16/pound, that kind of weight reduction could really pay off if you fly enough!

3. Sep 20, 2017 #23

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Finally decided on a tail surfaces airfoil. Enhanced my weight-and-balance spreadsheet to start tracking costs of individual components.

4. Sep 20, 2017 #24

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

I am relieved to see that I am not the only one who feels like he did something without "doing" something! And thanks for the clever spreadsheet idea. I bet if you divide the total cost by the sum of the moments, your checkbook might balance.

Topaz likes this.
  5. Sep 20, 2017 #25

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

David offered me his Poorboy project today, all I have to do is pick it up, rebuild my ULII-02, and add it and a 30x50 prop and gas tank, so of course the first thing I had to do today is create a paint scheme for it... inspired by the Jet Quickie and well, Udet... though with Pepe onboard, maybe I should run with some French Colors instead... ou? Qu'est-ce que tu penses?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I get to be a bona fide Test Pilot now.

Choppergirl's Lost Girls Flying Circus Black Sheep Airplane Projects +1 :) Maybe. Also Mac is mailing me an Airmap 2000 today. Aviation GPS +1 :)

Don't count your airplanes/gps's before they hatch... tho. Still, I can't resist the pull of pixel painting visualization...

Otherwise, I mowed more briars yesterday around my future barn hanger... need more sheltered space quick!

[​IMG]

Free Little Craigslist Riding Lawn Mower set to "decimate"... turn-right-area-for-truck after-pulling-plane-trailer-through... "clearing work" continues:

[​IMG]

The first batch of pulling oodles of nails out of scavenged house trailer lumber... in this case, 2x4's, which will be used to build swing open on heavy duty hinges barn door frames:

[​IMG]

I sniped a Casio PAW-1500 altitude/barometer/compass watch off eBay for $26 (that took a really long time... two months of watching lots of abc watches), and this t-shirt to match my plane theme for $11:

[​IMG]

The T-shirt is real :) We're all mad here.
    My dad say's he's going to borrow it if he ever has to go to court, a job interview, or psychiatric evaluation.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    don january and delta like this.
  6. Sep 20, 2017 #26

Direct C51

Direct C51

Direct C51

↑ So nothing again, like usual. Maybe I need to change my name to "Direct C51 Girl" and I'll get free stuff too. Nah, I'll work hard for what I have.

Today I removed the cowl and inspection panels so that the DAR can look at my Sonex tomorrow. I also cleaned my airplane and my hangar to look good for the DAR. Tried to fly for my tailwheel endorsement today as well, but the rental airplane wasn't ready. I guess my first flight will have to wait.

7. Sep 20, 2017 #27

BJC

BJC

BJC

Unless it is for a commercial venture, I would prefer not to know; just buy and build as funds permit.

BJC

8. Sep 20, 2017 #28

Monty

Monty

Monty

Don't EVER add up the cost of a hobby....You'll be very sorry, especially if you have a spouse...:gig:

proppastie likes this.
  9. Sep 20, 2017 #29

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

I hope you applied anti-seize if the sump is also aluminum... Was this a solution to a leak issue?

10. Sep 20, 2017 #30

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Yes, standard aviation maintenance practices applied. The sump does not leak because the engine has not been run yet (no oil in sump). The plugs were replaced strictly out of weight concerns. No need to carry around extra ounces when it can be easily rectified by throwing a few pennies at it.

11. Sep 20, 2017 #31

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Toolbuilder: You are a neighbor. I'm presently building an oil sump to provide lube for the sprag clutch on my Allison powered Rotorway look-a-like. Upside down mounted engine created the need for different oil system for sprag. I've been stuck with steel fittings to get non-pipe thread for cast aluminum housing. Past history of aluminum and SS. on a 36' catamaran has created a lot of caution with dis similar metals.

12. Sep 21, 2017 #32

jsoar

jsoar

jsoar

A few days ago I made the first and second flights of my old Blue Tail Hawk with the new Polini Thor 200. They went well, the engine had plenty of power and ran real smooth. But it was running a little rich with no air filter so I need to do some rejetting.
    I also have been doing the surface finishing work on the new wings for my Red Tail Hawk. I fitted them to the existing RTH air frame earlier this summer, and got the flap and aileron linkage worked out too.
    Today more finish work. I applied the second coat of epoxy/micro to fill the weave on the left wing bottom surface. Next have to do a little more spar cap filling. Still have the top surface and nose to do, and then the second wing, hopefully before it gets too cold to heat the shop enough for epoxy work. Then I plan to block sand a spray-on high build primer, like Smooth Prime UV, to get the final laminar surface contour. I can do that in a cooler shop this winter.

wsimpso1, Chris In Marshfield and BJC like this.
  13. Sep 21, 2017 #33

BJC

BJC

BJC

jsoar:

Are you the designer of those airplanes? Would love to learn more about them.

BJC

wsimpso1 likes this.
  14. Sep 21, 2017 #34

Monty

Monty

Monty

I made and installed inter-cylinder baffles for my bipe. Also installed the last of the sheet metal on the forward fuselage, and worked on the upholstery until it got too dark to see where the needle was...

KIMG0185.jpg

15. Sep 21, 2017 #35

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Practiced aluminum welding on some 0.032 5003. Great learning lesson: I need more practice!!! I carefully set up my Miller Dynasty 200, got the 1/16 2% special electrode,1/16 filler rod got a lens cup installed SS brushed the aluminum, wiped it down with acetone, wiped the filler rod with acetone,,,, Then had trouble with the foot switch and the auto darkening helmet. It was a good thing I was practicing. I ended up with SCRAP without the S.

16. Sep 21, 2017 #36

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Pinned the rudder pedals to the hangers and started the process of mounting the brake master cylinders. Needed to make an extension below each cylinder to adapt it to fit the pedal, so got some milling time in to modify some tube.

Going to get some lathe time in because we have male universal joints and male threads on the end of the cylinders, and they aren't even the same thread. Instead of ordering new joints I'll just make a female-female adapter.

I'll try and get some pics of the assembly next time I'm in there.

17. Sep 21, 2017 #37

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Imagine how awesome this thread would be if people posted photos once in a while.

18. Sep 21, 2017 #38

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

See I tend to take all my pictures on my actual camera, and I only tend to transfer pics off it every few weeks once the card fills up. And in 2-3 weeks what I did yesterday isn't so relevant. I suspect that's half the battle.

I have to remember to bring my phone into the shop and take pictures cuz those are instantly ready to send.

19. Sep 21, 2017 #39

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I've been clearing up and packing stuff to move to the Smokys. I did my GY6 bits last night. While they were in my hands, I measured and weighed the crank, flywheel and cam chain so I can calculate their rotational inertia for TV analysis.

20. Sep 22, 2017 #40

jsoar

jsoar

jsoar

BJC likes this.